AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper - Knee surgery, 6-8 weeks - 14/5

Remove this Banner Ad

We did have finals to chase.
It's not like he pulled the muscle chasing finals 😅 he was on the sidelines either way.

The thing that's concerning really is that our tall stocks are so deep and yet so thin that we had to play Weid out of form and Draper on one leg because we didn't have a replacement until Wright came back early.

It's not like he pulled the muscle chasing finals 😅 he was on the sidelines either way.

The thing that's concerning really is that our tall stocks are so deep and yet so thin that we had to play Weid out of form and Draper on one leg because we didn't have a replacement until Wright came back early.

It's a reason not to send him for surgery.

From memory he played the second last game of the season.

But they were to manage his injury and get him back to play for finals rather than fixing the issue. It was always going to end in surgery
We’ve just wasted 3/4 months

I am interested in this bit in particular..
They tried to manage draper to a point where we could get him back to play for finals, but it was never seen as the solution to the actual injury. So many times players that have bad groin injuries they just end up getting surgery. Same happened with Joe after beating around the bush trying to manage it. Dont know why clubs don’t just fix the issue straight up instead of wasting time.

They tried to manage draper to a point where we could get him back to play for finals, but it was never seen as the solution to the actual injury. So many times players that have bad groin injuries they just end up getting surgery. Same happened with Joe after beating around the bush trying to manage it. Dont know why clubs don’t just fix the issue straight up instead of wasting time.
Because any doctor you want to go to will recommend a conservative approach first up . The surgery is not an actual fix anyway . 99% of players end up with modified programs and have continual groin soreness of various levels .

Because any doctor you want to go to will recommend a conservative approach first up . The surgery is not an actual fix anyway . 99% of players end up with modified programs and have continual groin soreness of various levels .
And how many times does the conservative/ manage them back approach work? Hardly ever
They nearly always end up getting groin surgery

This is essentially what groin surgery is

And how many times does the conservative/ manage them back approach work? Hardly ever
They nearly always end up getting groin surgery
Blame the doctors . I went through the same with OP and I was not even playing sport anymore. Was the same with my back surgery . Rehab and time and then operation which ended up being 3 operations two fusions and still days where the pain can be 7/10. Also still have varying levels of groin soreness despite having the release operation done years ago. The real issue is there is actually no real fix. It is more about reducing the pain level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100%. Surgery is a last resort in most cases and players would be constantly managing and rehabbing injuries throughout the year (many while still playing). Once you’ve had surgery there’s every chance it will never be the same again, it’s not always as simple as getting it done and she’ll be right.

It's a reason not to send him for surgery.

From memory he played the second last game of the season.
I'd rather they didn't cut corners, but I do think they could've got to the surgery idea a bit more quickly when it hadn't made any progress for a while. He was subbed out in mid-June, so over 15 weeks ago.

But they were to manage his injury and get him back to play for finals rather than fixing the issue. It was always going to end in surgery
We’ve just wasted 3/4 months
We got knocked out of the finals race (mathematically) over a month ago. Been naught but a dream for twice as long.

I have a bad feeling that he is going to be out for a while and it might be Bryan that will be doing the teaming up. The Goldstein move has been made with this in mind.
Agree, even before surgery the hole it left without him kinda showed. But with the groin concerns I think it hes even more important - even if Draper plays, takes a lot of pressure off , even to the point i'd almost have Goldy at #1 ruck even with Draper playing

Agree, even before surgery the hole it left without him kinda showed. But with the groin concerns I think it hes even more important - even if Draper plays, takes a lot of pressure off , even to the point i'd almost have Goldy at #1 ruck even with Draper playing
I’m not keen at all but it does make a lot of sense

Cliff notes?
Catheter, swollen plums, every doctor in the place saw his junk, but glad the surgery got done and he wanted the surgery. Had to be careful getting in and out of bed for a few weeks and not allowed to lift anything.

Sounds like the same surgery daniher had on the pubic bone to release the tendon?

Catheter, swollen plums, every doctor in the place saw his junk, but glad the surgery got done and he wanted the surgery. Had to be careful getting in and out of bed for a few weeks and not allowed to lift anything.

Sounds like the same surgery daniher had on the pubic bone to release the tendon?
Thanks. Yeah, sounds very similar.

I've had a catheter. It ain't fun. Particularly when it never needed to be inserted in the first place. Nurses were too lazy to track my fluid movement. Could've stood up and pissed into a measuring jug for them.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back