Oppo Camp 2021 AFL Finals Series

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m hoping the Doggies win it. I have a feeling Melbourne supporters will be like Tiger supporters and act like the new ‘authority’ of the game.

Yeah this.

Plus half of Melbs list is made up private schoolboys with quintessentially punchable heads. Melb are close on the ranks with Essendon and Carlton. Vicky Park probably forgot this.

Yes. I don’t get the angst, unless we’re still talking the 1950s and early 60s.

My hatred of other teams only goes back to the 1970s. I missed all the Melbourne stuff.:oops:

Also wouldn’t mind the Dogs winning. Just a preference ATM for the Dees. But that could all change next year. I’m nothing if not fickle. Wanted Richmond to win in 2017.
Really VP. We are talking the 50s and 60s. Your hatred needs to be stronger. If you wanted Richmond to win in 17 then clearly your hatred doesnt even go back to the 70s.

I mainly operate on degrees of hatred and sometimes its not about who I want to win but more who I want to lose. I am still searching for the elusive solution to the conundrum of how can you have two teams lose the same game. Reference match the 1993 AFL GF

Surprises come but not in the form of any sympathy for old enemies. 2020 I thought I couldnt hope for the Tigers to get a 3rd but was shocked when the match began that I despised more the thought of a Cats win and a self satisfied Dangerfield with a smug medal around his neck. Needless to say watching him grope the turf while Dusty kicked his last goal was sweet schadenfraude.

This year I can seriously wish for good things for the Doggies and especially Adz. But their winning will not give me as much pleasure as the thought of the Demon supporters having another chapter of suffering. Long may that last.

Demons have a 19yo old ruck who just won the rising star and with Lever a youngish star KPB. Petty only 21 and loooks ok plus other kids on the list. Think they have cover in that area.
Petty is a mile off May, as is Jackson to Gawn (Jackson is still a star, no doubt). Jackson is also a bit undersized for full-time ruck duties.

But they're in the GF and have every chance of winning it. Worrying about their future is a bit of a waste of time

Yeah this.

Plus half of Melbs list is made up private schoolboys with quintessentially punchable heads. Melb are close on the ranks with Essendon and Carlton. Vicky Park probably forgot this.

OK, I’ll try again. :(

Essendon and Carlton are the front runners in the hatred stakes. I never want them to win another flag. Ever.

But when a club (like Melbourne) hasn’t won a flag in decades, I go all soft, I feel sorry for them, and I have some family and friends who support the Dees. So while I laugh at the skiing and cheese platter jokes, and I concede that their fans might become like Richmond fans (heaven help us), I still want them to win this flag. But just one.😝

Really VP. We are talking the 50s and 60s. Your hatred needs to be stronger. If you wanted Richmond to win in 17 then clearly your hatred doesnt even go back to the 70s.

I mainly operate on degrees of hatred and sometimes its not about who I want to win but more who I want to lose. I am still searching for the elusive solution to the conundrum of how can you have two teams lose the same game. Reference match the 1993 AFL GF

Surprises come but not in the form of any sympathy for old enemies. 2020 I thought I couldnt hope for the Tigers to get a 3rd but was shocked when the match began that I despised more the thought of a Cats win and a self satisfied Dangerfield with a smug medal around his neck. Needless to say watching him grope the turf while Dusty kicked his last goal was sweet schadenfraude.

This year I can seriously wish for good things for the Doggies and especially Adz. But their winning will not give me as much pleasure as the thought of the Demon supporters having another chapter of suffering. Long may that last.

Hi GC, see my above post.:p

Otherwise, yes, yes, I know what you mean. I especially understand your grappling with the dilemma of wanting both teams to lose. That’s either a win/win or a lose/lose. I haven’t decided which yet.

I’d also be happy with a Dogs win. This is not an anti-Footscray thing.

And both teams are outstanding. Amazing talent throughout. Will be a great GF.

what do people think of the extra weeks break before the GF?
I think i like it. seems to give both teams a chance to settle, rest players, and go in on even terms

I think i like it. seems to give both teams a chance to settle, rest players, and go in on even terms
for a players perspective, I'm sure it helps. But from a fans perspective? Feels too long away lol

I’m not sure. Melbourne will have played only one game in four weeks when the GF comes around. Not ideal preparation. Whereas the Dogs, one extra game, but closer to being on a roll. Plus two weeks of suspense for players. And the coaches will have an extra week to analyse the opposition to death. Could result in some surprising coaching moves.

for a players perspective, I'm sure it helps. But from a fans perspective? Feels too long away lol
I feel like it could have an adverse impact on some teams (like Geelong after every bye ever, it seems), but in COVID times it is definitely handy.

In general I dislike it. Find it very disruptive.

I feel like it could have an adverse impact on some teams (like Geelong after every bye ever, it seems), but in COVID times it is definitely handy.

In general I dislike it. Find it very disruptive.
Yeah, Wish we can just get on with it. Wins like we had in those prelims, they have momentum, having a break now.. kinda halts that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon and Carlton are the front runners in the hatred stakes. I never want them to win another flag. Ever.

But when a club (like Melbourne) hasn’t won a flag in decades, I go all soft, I feel sorry for them, and I have some family and friends who support the Dees. So while I laugh at the skiing and cheese platter jokes, and I concede that their fans might become like Richmond fans (heaven help us), I still want them to win this flag. But just one.😝
Pies V Melbourne
GF Losses:
1964 (4 pts)
1960 (48 pts)
1956 (73pts)
1955 (28pts)
1939 (53pts)
1926 (57pts)

Against 1 win (1958).

Admittedly, 1958 was great, as it prevented them from getting 4 in a row, and would have been 6 in a row because they won in 1959 & 1960.

The Machine could have had 5 in a row, but for 1926.

They also invented Barrassi, who also caused so much pain for us when he coached Carlton and NM.

How could anyone have a soft spot for them.
Until we beat them in the next 6 GF's we play them, the hate rages equally to them and Carlton.
Hope they both never win another GF !!!!

I think its terrible, possibly even worse than the week off before finals. These crazy decisions disadvantage the teams that win the qualifying final and thats wrong.

If you asked Melbourne now, as the no 1 seeded team who have gone straight through would they prefer to play this week or next, there would be no doubt its this week

No coach wants to come into the biggest game of the year with only 1 game in the last 3 weeks. The ideal and the advantage the winner of the qualifying finals (or second semi back in the day) always had was the weeks break while your opposition , if they had lost a final of come from outside the top 4, had to play each week.

Now the team that loses a final or comes from outside the top 4 gets the ideal prep with a weeks rest while the team who should be advantaged gets what seems the less ideal course of 2 weeks off in 3.

The evidence is also stacking up that the introduced bye has materially changed the advantage the teams finishing on top and winning the QF had. It was already a small advantage given that numerically the top 4 sides go in with an equal chance at the start of the finals. Apart from home ground considerations there was little gain for possie 1 and 2

Still it seemed to work ok as in the 10 years leading up up to 2016 18 of the 20 teams that won a qualifying final went on to win a prelim and play in the GF. Seemed right as they should be the best team and playing off at home so it was only an occasional upset that happened.

Since 2016, when the bye came in, only 4 of 10 teams that have won a QF have gone on to win a PF. That seems clearly wrong and the difference to me is it doesnt help teams maintain their momentum by only playing once in 3 weeks whereas the one week off at the start of the finals then 2 matches leading into a PF is much better. Results back that up.

On that basis this year the disadvantage comes when we get to the GF. The Dogs have the preferred road in and thats unfair to Melb. I am not to upset as I hoe the Dees go down but to me its not fair on them.

Pies V Melbourne
GF Losses:
1964 (4 pts)
1960 (48 pts)
1956 (73pts)
1955 (28pts)
1939 (53pts)
1926 (57pts)

Against 1 win (1958).

Admittedly, 1958 was great, as it prevented them from getting 4 in a row, and would have been 6 in a row because they won in 1959 & 1960.

They also invented Barrassi, who also caused so much pain for us when he coached Carlton and NM.

Until we beat them in the next 6 GF's we play them, the hate rages equally to them and Carlton.

Well, when you put it like that…:oops:

I think its terrible, possibly even worse than the week off before finals. These crazy decisions disadvantage the teams that win the qualifying final and thats wrong.

If you asked Melbourne now, as the no 1 seeded team who have gone straight through would they prefer to play this week or next, there would be no doubt its this week

No coach wants to come into the biggest game of the year with only 1 game in the last 3 weeks. The ideal and the advantage the winner of the qualifying finals (or second semi back in the day) always had was the weeks break while your opposition , if they had lost a final of come from outside the top 4, had to play each week.

Now the team that loses a final or comes from outside the top 4 gets the ideal prep with a weeks rest while the team who should be advantaged gets what seems the less ideal course of 2 weeks off in 3.

The evidence is also stacking up that the introduced bye has materially changed the advantage the teams finishing on top and winning the QF had. It was already a small advantage given that numerically the top 4 sides go in with an equal chance at the start of the finals. Apart from home ground considerations there was little gain for possie 1 and 2

Still it seemed to work ok as in the 10 years leading up up to 2016 18 of the 20 teams that won a qualifying final went on to win a prelim and play in the GF. Seemed right as they should be the best team and playing off at home so it was only an occasional upset that happened.

Since 2016, when the bye came in, only 4 of 10 teams that have won a QF have gone on to win a PF. That seems clearly wrong and the difference to me is it doesnt help teams maintain their momentum by only playing once in 3 weeks whereas the one week off at the start of the finals then 2 matches leading into a PF is much better. Results back that up.

On that basis this year the disadvantage comes when we get to the GF. The Dogs have the preferred road in and thats unfair to Melb. I am not to upset as I hoe the Dees go down but to me its not fair on them.
100% correct and I'm loving it. Go Dogs!

Pies V Melbourne
GF Losses:
1964 (4 pts)
1960 (48 pts)
1956 (73pts)
1955 (28pts)
1939 (53pts)
1926 (57pts)

Against 1 win (1958).

This cuts deep. 6 losses to 1 team. Yuck.

Well done to both teams.

The depth of both teams is exceptional.
Nothing is ever as good or bad as it seems. When hawthorn and Essendon were powerhouses in the 80s they smashed the weaker teams and we never got near them. We beat Melbourne without Grundy and played terribly against the dogs and lost by 15 points.
They both played exceptionally well in their prelim. Remember how unstoppable we were in our 2010 prelim against Geelong? A week later we were saved by a lucky bounce.
We'll be okay.

Nope. Suffering is losing grand finals not simply being crap. Why should we wish arch rivals the very best? They can lose another 2 or 3 grannies before I'd even contemplate wishing them the best.
Short memories. Every time they beat us in a Queens Birthday clash the arrogance and carry on is sickening.
Rene Kink said it makes him sick when people go on about the poor old saints cause they lost a couple of grand finals. He said he lost 6 personally and the pies have lost 27!
I'm with Rene.
Doggy fans never seem as arrogant and I want Treloar to get a flag.

Melbourne aren’t arch enemies and haven’t been so for nearly 60 years.

I’m happy to barrack for the Dees on the day because the Dogs have already broken their drought. That will hand the longest drought record to StKilda I believe? I’d be happy with that too. I’m neutral on Treloar although hope for his sake he doesn5 have a sticker like in the SF.

That said I will definitely barrack for th3 winning team because I’ll happily change sides mid match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back