List Mgmt. 2021 NAB National AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I was including a top ten pick and a gun free agent in my assessment.

Absolutely it’s dependent upon how our players progress. If our recent draftees don’t come on then it’s back to the well. Daicos Henry and McInness were all top 20 picks in the past few years so we aren’t lacking in that regards.

Yeah, fair enough TT. I guess I'm assuming DeGoey will have DeGone (massive blow since he was about to become our best player) and I think our young players are good, maybe very good, but not elite. It's such a difficult path to tread, a "solid" rebuild because it's easy to overestimate your list. I'm expecting another bottom 4 year coming up and then we have the end of our champions: Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Elliot. Having seen the late 90s and early 2000s, I gots a bad feeling.

I hope you're right though. This is the kind of wrong I'd love to be.

Pendles has never been a big, physical mid, despite his height. He's more a time & space player - never seems rushed & finds space when it seems there isn't any.
It's probably because he has a soccer background.

Yeah, fair enough TT. I guess I'm assuming DeGoey will have DeGone (massive blow since he was about to become our best player) and I think our young players are good, maybe very good, but not elite. It's such a difficult path to tread, a "solid" rebuild because it's easy to overestimate your list. I'm expecting another bottom 4 year coming up and then we have the end of our champions: Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Elliot. Having seen the late 90s and early 2000s, I gots a bad feeling.

I hope you're right though. This is the kind of wrong I'd love to be.

I’m not overestimating the list.... just pointing out that we have done more than enough list turnover and youth investment in the past two years and now we are in the development phase of the rebuild.

As for jordy I wouldn’t write him off yet but even so his trade value and cap relief would assist the rebuild. Although that’s not my preference

Phillips may have been "high production", but a lot of it consisted of him stopping, looking sideways or backwards, then giving the opposition time to set up before moving it on.
So in the end "high production" doesn't mean much? Tell that to the "productivity analyst" I believe we've just employed.

So in the end "high production" doesn't mean much? Tell that to the "productivity analyst" I believe we've just employed.
There are players who don't generally get a lot of possessions, but make them count - Eddie Betts is a good example. High production combined with quality ball use is the combination to look for - I think we'll get that from Nick Daicos.

High production tells you a lot about their fitness, work ethic and footy IQ.
I guess it depends on what they actually mean by "high production". It wouldn't just mean a lot of disposals.

Pendles was an elite junior basketballer. He had an AIS scholarship, but decided to play footy instead - lucky for us!
Sure is. We got lucky when Cox decided to leave Canada to try AFL too!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's only one indicator and taken with others can give some more insight. i.e. 100% disposal deficiency is pretty useless if you only touch the ball once each game, high production doesn't help much if your DE% is ordinary.

Last edited:
Harrison = -2 points
Draper = 0 points
Murley = -2 points (is that a tat on your ankle or is it dirty?)

-1 point = ripped jeans, rolled up pants, shoes with no socks, white shoes with black pants, stupid haircut, etc.
+ 1 point = Bad Movember Mo.

Draper gets a point for trying to grow a bad November Mo, but surely he loses a point for not being able to grow a noticeable mo.

I don't think we would have needed to trade it - just drafted Callaghan. But next best would have been a 2022 first, from a team who wanted Callaghan. I think it would have been a bidding war.
No chance NM don't bid if we had pick 2, IMO. The media pressure on them to bid, would have been insane.

Time will tell if one 2022 1st rounder, proves to be a better outcome then the combined output of Poulter, McCreery & McMahon. Not being able to use an early pick in 2021 due to Nick Daicos, really hamstrung the prospect of a really good deal for pick 2.

Not sure why people keep banging on about trading pick 2. It’s now irrelevant and not worth re-visiting.

Time to move forward with the new team.
Let's hope Finn Callaghan doesn't tear us apart in a final some day. 😉

No chance NM don't bid if we had pick 2, IMO. The media pressure on them to bid, would have been insane.

Unlike the media, I think the clubs look a bit further than the initial part where Collingwood can't use pick 2 in the draft. They'd look into what happens next.

And it's pretty clear that it would simply mean that we would have traded it for a projected high future first and thus some other club gets Callaghan. I don't see why North would try to ensure that Callaghan goes to GC or whoever and not Collingwood and that Collingwood instead get a high future first. It would be a strange thing for North to go out of their way to bring about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back