Prediction 2023 - Best 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Darcy Moore is the best in the league in arguably the most important role in the game and you want to free him up to run and carry?

Have him position in front of the pack to collect ground balls or peel off to receive?

What are you talking about?

Not sure why you feel the need to pick 1 element of a role out to the exclusion of all else and paint that as what the role entails, but if that’s all you’ve got, I’ll leave it there.

Not sure why you feel the need to pick 1 element of a role out to the exclusion of all else and paint that as what the role entails, but if that’s all you’ve got, I’ll leave it there.
Because we play a defensive system where you position for aerial balls, ground balls or to be space cloggers who spread, run and transition. So yes circumstances require you to be all-rounders, but the focus is on a particular skillset - the individual players strength .

If you're positioned for aerial balls, you're not in a good position to provide run out of defence.

Last edited:
If Lipinski didn’t get injured who was WHE coming in for then?

As I’ve said, if he’s fit, he’s in the team so the more relevant question was who was forcing him out, especially with Ginni missing the 1st 2 rounds.

Because we play a defensive system where you position for aerial balls, ground balls or to be space cloggers who spread, run and transition. So yes circumstances require you to be all-rounders, but the focus is on a particular skillset - the individual players strength .

If you're positioned for aerial balls, you're not in a good position to provide run out of defence.

Your carrying on as though my suggestion Frampton frees up Moore to take the game on locks him into a front and centre role at the exclusion of all else he does. That’s just crap and you know it. It just shifts him from the oppositions number 1 KPF to their number 2 KPF and gives him greater license to run and carry. He’d still be an aerial presence, he’d still intercept, he’d still apply 1v1 defensive elements.

Your carrying on as though my suggestion Frampton frees up Moore to take the game on locks him into a front and centre role at the exclusion of all else he does. That’s just crap and you know it. It just shifts him from the oppositions number 1 KPF to their number 2 KPF and gives him greater license to run and carry. He’d still be an aerial presence, he’d still intercept, he’d still apply 1v1 defensive elements.
Yep. But the point is if he's positioning for aerial contests, he's not in position for the way we try to run the ball out of defence. Frampton may enable him to get to more aerial contests and intercept more, but we'd be nuts to have him position to rebound more, because he's the best tall in the business.

Yep. But the point is if he's positioning for aerial contests, he's not in position for the way we try to run the ball out of defence. Frampton may enable him to get to more aerial contests and intercept more, but we'd be nuts to have him position to rebound more, because he's the best tall in the business.

Happy to agree to disagree. I think there’s way more shades of grey in it than you’re projecting.

Happy to agree to disagree. I think there’s way more shades of grey in it than you’re projecting.
There is and there isn't. Darcy is a gun who can do it all and will give us run when the situation arises. But if you want to increase the number of situations that arise, it'll involve him competing in the air less often, because when he's marking or bashing it down to our sweepers at the front of the pack, he's not in position to get involved in quick transition.

Noble Frampton Maynard
Murphy Moore IQ
Sidey Pendles JDaicoi
WHE Mihocek Adams
Hill AJ Elliot
Cox JDG Mitchell
NDacoi Crisp Cameron Mcreery Lippa

The bolded are players the only question marks.
Frampton: He has been great for the club this year but we have managed without him back last year and most of this. I favour him there, but we could go with Howe and more mobility. That is more likely with the two rucks, one to drop back. Can't see us using Frampton for a chop out in the ruck.
Adams: Adams really adds to our grunt around packs, despite a tendency to butcher. I can't see him ever being left out this year if fit but he is the one I would play with in terms of bringing in Ginni, Markov or whoever.
AJ: AJ has shown something every game, as well as chopping out in the ruck where he is not suited. I would like to see him there as x factor, a point of difference, a lead up mark. Swapping him for McStay, and retaining Cameron, makes the pies to clunky.
Cameron: I expect Cameron to return to form as the season progresses, so hard to leave out. Cox's best and average is better than Cameron's. Cameron is fighting for a space with McStay IMO.
The sub doesn't matter really, could be someone other than Lippa and likely will be. Not WHE, he runs hard all day and wasted as sub.

Noble Frampton Maynard
Murphy Moore IQ
Sidey Pendles JDaicoi
WHE Mihocek Adams
Hill AJ Elliot
Cox JDG Mitchell
NDacoi Crisp Cameron Mcreery Lippa

The bolded are players the only question marks.

I think in reality, there is actually many more that should be bolded there. We genuinely have 26-27 guys you can throw in there and be fully confident in if we were to play in a GF this season.

Noble Frampton Maynard
Howe Moore NDaicos
Sidebottom Pendlebury JDaicos
McCreery Mihocek Adams
Hill McStay Elliott
Cox DeGoey Mitchell
Quaynor Crisp Cameron Lipinski
Sub: Hoskin-Elliott
EMG: Johnson, Murphy, Ginnivan, Markov

In my opinion, there is two key selection questions, which I have listed below, however arguments can also be made to include the likes of Ginnivan and Hosk (and maybe even Markov) in the starting 22.

1. Which 2 of Murphy, Howe & Frampton play? The decision in round 1 was to leave Frampton out. Would that still be the same? Is it match up based? In my side, I have left out Murphy, which may be controversial. I think if you play Frampton (which I think we will against other top 4 contenders), then Howe offers more as that floating third tall, particularly with his kicking.

2. Do we play both Cox & Cameron? Similar to the defensive conundrum, we have 5 really strong KPP across ruck/forward and you can only play 4 of them. Mihocek is the only lock to me. I think McStay is too (unless he cannot find form upon his return from injury). I think the tough decision will be whether you play AJ or a 2nd ruck. I like the concept of being more mobile and wish we could have seen Cox play a 3-4 game sample as a sole ruck to see if that was the right mix.

I think in reality, there is actually many more that should be bolded there. We genuinely have 26-27 guys you can throw in there and be fully confident in if we were to play in a GF this season.

Noble Frampton Maynard
Howe Moore NDaicos
McCreery Mihocek Adams
Hill McStay Elliott
Cox DeGoey Mitchell

In my opinion, there is two key selection questions, which I have listed below, however arguments can also be made to include the likes of Ginnivan and Hosk (and maybe even Markov) in the starting 22.

1. Which 2 of Murphy, Howe & Frampton play? The decision in round 1 was to leave Frampton out. Would that still be the same? Is it match up based? In my side, I have left out Murphy, which may be controversial. I think if you play Frampton (which I think we will against other top 4 contenders), then Howe offers more as that floating third tall, particularly with his kicking.

2. Do we play both Cox & Cameron? Similar to the defensive conundrum, we have 5 really strong KPP across ruck/forward and you can only play 4 of them. Mihocek is the only lock to me. I think McStay is too (unless he cannot find form upon his return from injury). I think the tough decision will be whether you play AJ or a 2nd ruck. I like the concept of being more mobile and wish we could have seen Cox play a 3-4 game sample as a sole ruck to see if that was the right mix.
How does McStay offer more to the team than Johnson on available evidence? Why do you think he is "a lock"?

I don't think he is a lock yet, I think he would be close to being one, unless he comes back and plays extremely poorly. He is viewed very highly internally (no surprise given our financial commitment) and Fly in his recent press conference post game said he is best 22.

In a direct comparison to AJ, I think McStay offers slightly more across the board, particularly with his ability to get to more contests and on the defensive side of the ball. While both are great contested marks, McStay is more suited to a one on one grapple, which tends to happen more in finals with added pressure. There is definitely a case for AJ to stay in the side, but I think that would be stronger against a 2nd ruck.

I agree we need to see more from McStay when he returns from injury to guarantee his place, but I think many on this board have been quick to dismiss him, despite only seeing him play 3 games as a key forward in a brand new system, at a brand new club. The club got him in for a reason and I expect him to be in the side come finals time and playing a key role for us.

It will be interesting how we use Adams later in the year. He's currently in the Lipinski forward then midfield role. I wonder if we'll shift him back to midfield, keep him in the Lipinski role or even see him dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noble Frampton Maynard
Howe Moore NDaicos
McCreery Mihocek Adams
Hill McStay Elliott
Cox DeGoey Mitchell

I agree we have depth but who else would you have a question mark over?

Who does Ginni replace? On form Mcreery and Hill are ahead of him. Both cover a lot more territory faster, so suit the way we play. His form would have to sigificantly improve to push either out. Markov? I can't see anyone he replaces in that side. If Lippa doesn't make it back, or doesn't find form that would be the only chance but not at all likely. Maybe Cox, if Cameron regains his earlier form, could be a question mark. Tbh, I don't think Adams deserved being questioned, think its only Frampton and AJ/Cameron in the side I picked.

I can't see Murphy being pushed out by either Howe or Frampton. He has been excellent this year, whereas Howe struggled in the role last year. Both Howe and Frampton will need to settle in the back line and find form after injury. No way can I see Murphy being pushed out automatically so one or both would have to excel in the seconds, or Murphy injured.

It will be interesting how we use Adams later in the year. He's currently in the Lipinski forward then midfield role. I wonder if we'll shift him back to midfield, keep him in the Lipinski role or even see him dropped.
I’m starting to think the latter on current form.

I’m starting to think the latter on current form.

It may depend what we value in that forward mid role. I feel like they want an player with an excellent contested and ground level game for when we rush it forward. That player connects from the forward line to win the ball or apply pressure. But ideally you want them to be dangerous too. Adams does the ground ball defensive stuff better but Lipinski and some of the other small forwards are a bigger goal scoring threats.

So hard to predict. Looking like a clear top 27 at the moment.
Frampton or Howe
Markov or Noble
Adams / Hoskin Elliott / Lipinski - one misses becomes likely sub
Ginnivan or Hill
McStay / Johnson / Cox - one misses
Think the other 15 are definitely in best 22
Interesting McRae said Frampton , Lipinski and McStay are in our best 22.

Last edited:
This is so tough, obviously very unlikely to have everyone fit at the same time.

Quaynor, Frampton Howe
Maynard, Moore, Noble
J Daicos, Mitchell, Sidebottom
Elliott, Mihocek, N Daicos
Hill, McStay, McReery

Cameron, DeGoey, Crisp

Pendles, Cox, Murphy, Adams

Sub: Lipinski

Johnson and WHE next best.

Quaynor Frampton Howe
Maynard Moore Noble
J Daicos Mitchell Sidebottom
Elliott Mihocek De Goey
Hill McStay McReery

Cameron N Daicos Pendlebury

Crisp Cox Lipinski Adams

Sub: WHE

Murph extremely stiff but think the club will prefer the extra size of Frampton and proven 3rd tall performance of Howe. I think Murphy vs Frampton is the most difficult decision with a fully fit list.

We'll start seeing some answers over the next few weeks as to our preferred structure.

I'm expecting it to include Frampton in defence and certainly McStay up forward. What we do to fit that in will be interesting.

Those two additions give us so much more flexibility, redundancy and capability, that there's no chance we don't at least try it.

Without Frampton we have serious concerns if Moore goes down early. Same goes for McStay/Mihocek. That alone is reason enough.

Then there's the fact that we have had problems with only one main forward target and one tall defender - Sydney got hold of us up forward in the Prelim, Mihocek seemed to fade as the season went on and we weren't as effective as you'd want with contesting inside 50.

We are now able to release AJ to third tall, Howe/Murphy to medium interceptor, Maynard to a more rebounding role. Mihocek no longer battles alone against multiple defenders. In theory it benefits all. The thing now is to see it in practise.

Noble Frampton Maynard
Howe Moore NDaicos
McCreery Mihocek Adams
Hill McStay Elliott
Cox DeGoey Mitchell

I complete agree. This best 23 has been in my mind all year, except for Murphy instead of Howe, probably because he's been out.
Cox's consistent form is really making it hard to have AJ or less likely Krueger as back up ruck
At times Ive thought if Howe could be a utility to keep Murphy in, he was recruited to be a winger, can play forward. Comes up as our fastest runner on the AFL app. Maybe its too late to try that out.

Huge selection headaches coming...

Let's say McStay, Elliott and Lipinski come in this week (for De Goey, McCreery and Harrison)

Who does McCreery come in for after the bye? Can he fit all 3 of Ginnivan, Hill and McCreery in?

Who does De Goey come in for after his suspension?

Who does Sidey come in for when he's fit?

Who does Howe come in for if/when he's fit?

We'll try running with Cameron, Cox, Checkers, McStay and Johnson, but they might find it's too tall.

Time to experiment a little I think...

Our Grand Final Day Lineup

B: Howe | Moore | Maynard

HB: N. Daicos | Murphy | Quaynor

C: J. Daicos | Mitchell | Sidebottom

HF: Lipinski | McStay | Adams

F: Elliot | Mihocek | Hill

R: Cameron | Crisp | De Goey

I/C: Noble | Pendlebury | McCreery | Cox

Sub: Frampton

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Forward line Mix