Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 37!, 1 (busted) BIG FISH ALERT last October 9th) (9 confirmed! 17 Busted!)

Remove this Banner Ad

We're not doing it for Perry.

It is ridiculous to compare it to Gibbs - back then, we'd just come off a grand final and thought we were in a premiership window. Nothing like now.
No, trading a 1st & 2nd rounder for Luko to Gibbs is a good comparison of a stupid trade.

Pretty sure our club have learnt their lesson.

No, trading a 1st & 2nd rounder for Luko to Gibbs is a good comparison of a stupid trade.

Pretty sure our club have learnt their lesson.

We need a midfielder. Personally I would be throwing my top draft picks and FA money at mids in the hope of shaking one loose. That has to be our priority and while its nice to stock up on the likes of Perryman, Hayward maybe Lukocius all of it means s**t if we dont solve our midfield woes.

The last thing we want is to rocket up the ladder to 4 or 5th and keep losing semi's and prelims because we keep getting smashed in the centre against the quality midfield teams in the comp. Which has happened even when we had a good midfield outfit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luko's lack of competitive nature doesn't make him a good fit for Nicks (or Hardwick). Would give up a pick after 30 but no more and not even that if it meant jeopardising getting a quality mid through the door. He's on the move for sure though if he wants to play forward, you can't play in a Hardwick forward line with his level of pressure.

Hayward would be a great fit but might be harder to get through the door than we think. Restricted free agent, Longmire's favourite player and they're still dark on us for lowballing them on the Dawson trade (which the rest of the football industry thought was a fair deal at the time, turns out the Swans were right). Really hope we can get it done but they may match and we might have to give up pick(s) for him.

Luko's lack of competitive nature doesn't make him a good fit for Nicks (or Hardwick). Would give up a pick after 30 but no more and not even that if it meant jeopardising getting a quality mid through the door. He's on the move for sure though if he wants to play forward, you can't play in a Hardwick forward line with his level of pressure.

Hayward would be a great fit but might be harder to get through the door than we think. Restricted free agent, Longmire's favourite player and they're still dark on us for lowballing them on the Dawson trade (which the rest of the football industry thought was a fair deal at the time, turns out the Swans were right). Really hope we can get it done but they may match and we might have to give up pick(s) for him.
If they match, he can stay.

I was wondering how bad the numbers would be, and they most certainly disappointed.

8.4 pressure acts and 1.1 tackle a game last season was pretty poor, but he was at least kicking goals.
6.9 pressure acts and 0.6 tackles a game this season. And with significantly worse defensive stats than Ballard and Collins, and worse disposal efficiency (sub-70%, compared to their 79.5 and 80%). I knew he was having a bad season, but not to this extent.

I don't entirely blame him for quite a bit of this, because he's being played out of position, but those numbers are shocking.

Last edited:
Interesting about Luko supossedly 'not wanting to come home'.

You would think good coin, good contract, being close to family/mates along with the lure (or hope) of being played in your preferred position would be enticing.

Dont get these young ones these days!

I was wondering how bad the numbers would be, and they most certainly disappointed.

8.4 pressure acts and 1.1 tackle a game last season was pretty poor, but he was at least kicking goals.
6.9 pressure acts and 0.6 tackles a game this season. And with significantly worse defensive stats than Ballard and Collins, and worse disposal efficiency (sub-70%, compared to their 79.5 and 80%). I knew he was having a bad season, but not to this extent.

I don't entirely blame him for quite a bit of this, because he's being played out of position, but those numbers are shocking.

This screams of a player needing a fresh start and not happy being played in defence.

I agree it is a bit worrying but still think at the right price, Luko is a player you make a pay for.

Interesting about Luko supossedly 'not wanting to come home'.

You would think good coin, good contract, being close to family/mates along with the lure (or hope) of being played in your preferred position would be enticing.

Dont get these young ones these days!
I also wonder if "he's happy where he is" is the default answer family members give people who ask, no matter what

Just because even a throwaway comment here or there finds its way into public space very easily

This screams of a player needing a fresh start and not happy being played in defence.

I agree it is a bit worrying but still think at the right price, Luko is a player you make a pay for.
Screams of a player who doesn't have the level of pressure and intensity to be a high-level AFL footballer.

If we can get him for minimum chips or as a free agent in '27 (can't see him being a Sun for that long) then fine, he can compete for a spot.

He doesn't have a position .....he's a role player now, not a key plank in a side

He's another Josh Schache ....MELB tried & failed to make him an AFL player .....Lukoscious may fare a bit better than Josh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back