2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

No, and i do rate ballard as an elite intercepting key back, but lucky us, we do have a few that can play that spot. You can say we have Mac and Read who can go in the ruck and that's fair but it's food for thought.

Yeah absolutely

If moyle left and we needed a back up Big Preuss would be dirt cheap

Keep it simple.

#GetRioli
$KeepMoyle
?Ainsworth

Yeh, I’m on the fence with Ainsworth. I like what he does, but feel he should be doing more.

Also get the feel he may overrate himself a bit? Both in talent & $$$?

It he does move on, does that let us have a crack at a more effective player?

I’m 50/50.

Yeh, I’m on the fence with Ainsworth. I like what he does, but feel he should be doing more.

Also get the feel he may overrate himself a bit? Both in talent & $$$?

It he does move on, does that let us have a crack at a more effective player?

I’m 50/50.
Reckon he's fine to keep, but we can't be overpaying. If he leaves for a big contract so be it.

So if the stories on Dan Rioli are correct and the Suns are into him, what do we think about getting Maurice Rioli jr too? He's OOC and we could do with a small forward. Doubt he's worth anything more than a 2nd/3rd round pick, but it might help getting both?

So if the stories on Dan Rioli are correct and the Suns are into him, what do we think about getting Maurice Rioli jr too? He's OOC and we could do with a small forward. Doubt he's worth anything more than a 2nd/3rd round pick, but it might help getting both?
Seems to have a few in game brain fades. Bit of a project so not worth the pursuit compared to getting a ready made forward pocket player (?) or just keeping Rodgers and Rosas who I think are superior already.

Seems to have a few in game brain fades. Bit of a project so not worth the pursuit compared to getting a ready made forward pocket player (?) or just keeping Rodgers and Rosas who I think are superior already.
Yeah, that's fair. He's got the talent, and speed which we need. Would need to be fairly cheap salary wise to be worth it.

Reckon he's fine to keep, but we can't be overpaying. If he leaves for a big contract so be it.

I think this why I’m I feel he should be doing more. His stats are really no different from his early years as a small fwd, yet he’s basically now playing an outside role floating up on the wing?

I dunno, in his prime yet not taking it to the next level? Good player, guess I just expected him to be great by now.

IMG_3848.jpeg

Day is on the main list still. He was picked up in the pre season draft not the rookie. So he will open up a main list spot
Rosas, Berry, Rogers, Lombard, Johnston. Long played well, Holman. All can play small forward. Ainsworth too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a fan of Long, has 1 or 2 good games a season.

Not saying MRj is gonna win us a flag, more it might get the Dan Rioli deal done.
Yeah, it seems like Long plays well only in Darwin in front of family.

But we do seem like having decent small forwards considering Rogers and Lombard will likely spend significant time there.

I don't think MRJ would get a game :)

Could Zurhaar be an option to consider if Ainsworth wants out?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

i really like ainsworth. he might not hit the scoreboard as often as some might want him to, but he does the team role really well. tracks back in defense and has a great workrate. remember the last passage of play that led to noah's after the siren win against the tiges? benny gathered the loose ball near out defensive 50 to start that chain.

to an extent, consistency & familiarity amongst our team will be a good thing moving forward, and while i'm all for bringing in some good talent in free agency, i would hope it would be replacing list spots of players not in the starting team with better players to improve it, rather than replacing players in the starting team. dunno if that last bit makes sense haha.

i really like ainsworth. he might not hit the scoreboard as often as some might want him to, but he does the team role really well. tracks back in defense and has a great workrate. remember the last passage of play that led to noah's after the siren win against the tiges? benny gathered the loose ball near out defensive 50 to start that chain.

to an extent, consistency & familiarity amongst our team will be a good thing moving forward, and while i'm all for bringing in some good talent in free agency, i would hope it would be replacing list spots of players not in the starting team with better players to improve it, rather than replacing players in the starting team. dunno if that last bit makes sense haha.

Good summary. I think I need to accept him as a good B+ grade role player, and not that potential A grader I was hoping he would become.

Whether he accepts that’s what he is and how he should be paid is another question.

In reality, we brought in 5 best 22 - Walter, Graham, Rogers, Read, Clohesy. 4 of them look great body wise and already contribute in their first year and could become regular next season. Lombard also looks like close to ready and the best 22.

Suddenly, our depth does not look bad.

Last edited:
Skip to 5:52 in this video and listen to Dan Rioli address whether he wants to stay at Richmond. He basically dodges the question entirely and could have easily shut it down by saying he wants to stay; instead he rolls out the typical lines you hear before a player leaves like 'I'm contracted', 'I'm focusing on the team', 'I'm just focusing on this year'. He even got a little defensive when pushed on it and said 'I'm not here to talk about my future'. Sounds like he's leaving and you'd think there's a pretty good chance he's heading to Carrara. Would be a great acquisition if we do get him and creating even stronger links to the NT with players from arguably their two most famous families in the Riolis and Longs.

Skip to 5:52 in this video and listen to Dan Rioli address whether he wants to stay at Richmond. He basically dodges the question entirely and could have easily shut it down by saying he wants to stay; instead he rolls out the typical lines you hear before a player leaves like 'I'm contracted', 'I'm focusing on the team', 'I'm just focusing on this year'. He even got a little defensive when pushed on it and said 'I'm not here to talk about my future'. Sounds like he's leaving and you'd think there's a pretty good chance he's heading to Carrara. Would be a great acquisition if we do get him and creating even stronger links to the NT with players from arguably their two most famous families in the Riolis and Longs.

Richmond will ask for 2 firsts so I’m happy to pay inbetween

Really love Dan Rioli, it would be like Izak Rankine coming back.

Richmond will ask for 2 firsts so I’m happy to pay inbetween

Really love Dan Rioli, it would be like Izak Rankine coming back.
Although Rankine is the better of the two, I think Dan Rioli is more of what we actually need right now. I don't think Rankine will ever play as a skilful running/rebounding halfback and Rioli has arguably already done that at an All-Australian level. Plus, Rioli is in his physical prime right now as he just turned 27 so we're theoretically going to get his best years if we recruit him later this year and those two factors bode well for us in opening our premiership window. There's also the natural NT connection that Rankine could never offer.

Overall, I think Dan Rioli would be a great pickup and I suspect the Bulldogs' first round pick (currently no.8) might be heading Richmond's way for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back