List Mgmt. 2024 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you seen our flankers?

vanilla, non-athletic, no standout attribute?

Hill, Elliott, Schultz, McCreery, Josh, Sidey, Maynord, IQ, Markov, WHE, Noble, Harrison, Richards, Jiath, Lipinski

Ryan. Bianco. Ruscoe, Poulter. Draper, Murley, Chuggy, Rantall, Kelly, T.Brown, C.Brown, Appleby, S.Murray, T.Golds, Phillips, Wills, Crocker, Smith

Point is, Hiney throws 9 of 10 national draft darts at flankers in order to land your & mine combined last, at the expense of KP players that he then procures by scraping the bottom of the SSP & rookie barrel

In his pursuit of 'too many flankers is never enough' strategy, it'd be nice to see more TJ and less Bianco types ..IMO

Ryan. Bianco. Ruscoe, Poulter. Draper, Murley, Chuggy, Rantall, Kelly, T.Brown, C.Brown, Appleby, S.Murray, T.Golds, Phillips, Wills, Crocker, Smith

Point is, Hiney throws 9 of 10 national draft darts at flankers in order to land your & mine combined last, at the expense of KP players that he then procures by scraping the bottom of the SSP & rookie barrel

In his pursuit of 'too many flankers is never enough' strategy, it'd be nice to see more TJ and less Bianco types ..IMO
I think it's pretty clear that since the new footy department came in our drafting has shifted to the types you'd prefer, particularly regarding running:

Harrison, Draper, Murley, Allan, Ryan, Demattia, TJ - that's who we've taken in the last 3 drafts - not including the Nick gift

A few were/are potential mids.

The issue is that if you want those athletic traits at our picks there are big question marks about how good the player is at footy. Because if they've got those traits and a high level of production as juniors they go earlier than we've been picking. So far the results aren't looking particularly likely from the new approach.

He was a fairly high pick if I remember. Have you spotted any Key Position players that might fill a need for us in the MSD
I have not but to be fair I don't watch that much that much state league. Mainly VFL and then look at stats and a I like to follow the draft.

I liked Lachlan McArthur he is 190 though but has a great set of hands and fast has played both back and forward.

I always thought Tom Highmore was a little stiff to get delisted as a Murphy replacement, probably prefer him over Lachie Young.

Still waiting on Young Guns vs Vic Country replay to be posted, missed it while at work.

Last edited:
What does he offer over Sullivan or Macrae - given their recent numbers are very similar.
Agreed they are similar I think he might be more of an AFL body and may have more physical who is a bit more flexible and good above head.

Pretty sure he was a Collingwood supporter.

Agreed they are similar I think he might be more of an AFL body and may have more physical who is a bit more flexible and good above head.

Pretty sure he was a Collingwood supporter.
Good size at 191cm.
Watched a few videos including while he was at GWS and he looked very good. No idea what’s gone wrong.
I’d take him ahead of Long because he’s a more complete player.

Maybe Bobby has some intell about his drop off.

Last edited:
I have not but to be fair I don't watch that much that much state league. Mainly VFL and then look at stats and a I like to follow the draft.

I liked Lachlan McArthur he is 190 though but has a great set of hands and fast has played both back and forward.

I always thought Tom Highmore was a little stiff to get delisted as a Murphy replacement, probably prefer him over Lachie Young.

Still waiting on Young Guns vs Vic Country replay to be posted, missed it while at work.

Highmore and Lachie young are intercepting mid sized defender types

Amd we’re probably stocked for those with Ryan and Jiath developing

Murphy in the other hand played as an undersized KPD

Frampton has taken that role… then Dean and Eyre in reserve

IMO they should target a state league ruck or a state league forward with the MSD pick

Last edited:

There’s some context needed for those players.

Highmore and Lachie young are intercepting mid sized defender types

Amd we’re probably stocked for those with Ryan and Jiath developing

Murphy in the other hand played as an undersized KPD

Frampton has taken that role… then Dean and Eyre in reserve

IMO they should target a state league ruck or a state league forward with the MSD pick
Replacement for Kreuger or Begg, players unlikely to see in the new year at Collingwood.

I think it's pretty clear that since the new footy department came in our drafting has shifted to the types you'd prefer, particularly regarding running:

Harrison, Draper, Murley, Allan, Ryan, Demattia, TJ - that's who we've taken in the last 3 drafts - not including the Nick gift

A few were/are potential mids.

The issue is that if you want those athletic traits at our picks there are big question marks about how good the player is at footy. Because if they've got those traits and a high level of production as juniors they go earlier than we've been picking. So far the results aren't looking particularly likely from the new approach.
Draper and Murley were late so no surprise they turned out like they did.

Harrison has promise.

You also forgot Dean from 2021.

Still too early to decide about 2022 draft and same with 2023.

Replacement for Kreuger or Begg, players unlikely to see in the new year at Collingwood.
Besides Moyle and maybe Ramsden finding an AFL quality ruckman might be hard in the mid season draft. I personally think we should have gone Mitch Edwards or Logan Morris instead of DeMattia

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Draper and Murley were late so no surprise they turned out like they did.

Harrison has promise.

You also forgot Dean from 2021.

Still too early to decide about 2022 draft and same with 2023.
Of course it's too early to decide - particularly this year's crop. Just commenting on how they're looking so far.

Doesn't seem we are putting Steene on the LT1 at this point.
They may think there is still time for him to play late in the year, and don't want to put a line through him unless it was impossible his injury would rule him out for the entire year. That doesn't seem to be the case, at this point.

Last edited:
Doesn't seem we are putting Steene on the LT1 at this point.
They may think there is still time for him to play late in the year, and don't want to put a line through him unless it was impossible his injury would rule him out for the entire year. That doesn't seem to be the case, at this point.
We're not likely to take 2 in the MSD, so probably no reason to put him on that list.

His tank is big enough to get around the ground as a ruckman.
Think about his strengths.
Big bodied, fights for the ball on the ground, mobile and disposal is better than ok.
#someonetellfly
His tank as a ruck is limited. Usually fatigues early.

His mobility is limited standing at 197cm, as is his speed. Not what we want.

His DE would operate at less than 60%. We don’t want that as a ruck.

YES HE DOES, he gets around the ground as good , if not better than most of his opponents. You've been beating that drum for 2 years and it's incorrect, it's an assumption and that's all it is.
No he doesn’t have a tank. You watch his games. In the ruck, he fatigues easily and is often seen out of puff at games. When he tires, he gives away costly free kicks and this happens every single game. By all means, fact check me. It’s not an assumption at all.

Playing Beggy in the midfield at 197cm, with a limited tank, is amongst the worst ideas I’ve read on this forum and sits only behind Johnson on the wing.

No he doesn’t have a tank. You watch his games. In the ruck, he fatigues easily and is often seen out of puff at games. When he tires, he gives away costly free kicks and this happens every single game. By all means, fact check me. It’s not an assumption at all.

Playing Beggy in the midfield at 197cm, with a limited tank, is amongst the worst ideas I’ve read on this forum and sits only behind Johnson on the wing.
The only thing I see with Beggy is that his timing is out in the ruck contest. The other thing is that he doesn't present down the line as much as he should and when he does, he doesn't have the size or marking skills. His work around the ground is very good and that's why he's already tasted AFL action. He hasn't been required at AFL level since Frampton came in. Many players look tired from contest to contest but it doesn't mean they don't have a second or third effort. The only qusetion with begg is where does he fit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back