List Mgmt. 2024 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we've only used the draft 3 times before and we were in a different list situation in each of those years and also had a different footy department.

It was interesting that we announced an initial plan of keeping a spot open for it this year, which hasn't been our norm. We didn't end up doing that but may have known that Murphy returning was not going to happen by the time we added the three rather than 2 SSP players.

Who knows why we wanted to keep an option open for it? It may have been for short term insurance if we needed a particular player type.
I think most clubs would like to have a spot in MSD in general, to snap up players that missed last years draft, or find a diamond in the rough. They have a view we generally have done well with it.

They may go with best available. Unless they do target a specific area of need.

I think most clubs would like to have a spot in MSD in general, to snap up players that missed last years draft, or find a diamond in the rough. They have a view we generally have done well with it.

They may go with best available. Unless they do target a specific area of need.
I get why a bottom team likely to have an early choice would do it. But for a top team that only took two in the draft to keep a spot open for a possible long term diamond that might fall to their pick in the MSD seems a bit odd to me.

I get why a bottom team likely to have an early choice would do it. But for a top team that only took two in the draft to keep a spot open for a possible long term diamond that might fall to their pick in the MSD seems a bit odd to me.
Maybe they knew about Murphy. I think they would have had some idea at the time. Which is why they took 3 in SSP. And would like to have 1 left over to see what you can pluck. As at the time, not many clubs had list spots, and even though that generally doesn't last, maybe they thought there was someone to grab?

Unless they plan on getting sofronidis?

Maybe they knew about Murphy. I think they would have had some idea at the time. Which is why they took 3 in SSP. And would like to have 1 left over to see what you can pluck. As at the time, not many clubs had list spots, and even though that generally doesn't last, maybe they thought there was someone to grab?

Sof’s out injured so unlikely. If we want him, wait until the end of the year, hope another club doesn’t beat us. He’s been average at VFL level so I don’t think he’ll have people queuing.

I'm suspecting a change of previous year's plans in terms of MSD.

The wash up of SSP was three very different player types in Long, Sofrinids and Teakle who have done a preseason with us and may be able to provide short term depth in an area of the ground that needs it.

Last year's tall injuries had the potential to derail us, it may be insurance around that sort of thing hitting one player type.

Sof’s out injured so unlikely. If we want him, wait until the end of the year, hope another club doesn’t beat us. He’s been average at VFL level so I don’t think he’ll have people queuing.
It's a shame for him, really.
A full season of VFL would have got him closer to the standard required.

Hutchy has more potential than anyone.
Long? But do we take another mid? Unsure.
The immediate question with taking Long is who does he replace or challenge in the AFL side? I’d be backing in Sullivan and Macrae.

I don’t think Collingwood will take him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If ever we were to change that, it might be this year. Ageing veterans but good enough to win this years flag. We really need a Teakle type, even if for only this year.
Here's one for you to put your colombo hat on about. Is Sydney Stack playing anywhere? Or is he lost to the game?

The immediate question with taking Long is who does he replace or challenge in the AFL side? I’d be backing in Sullivan and Macrae.

I don’t think Collingwood will take him.

I think Long is, for want of a better term, overrated. If he wants to wait it out and sign as an SSP then good luck to him. He isn’t going to change our 2024 fortunes.

Given we only add players in MSD we see for the long term, I don't think we'd add someone for 6 months.

Why Not?

Give a Kid a Go to see IF they are Good enough or not

Remove this Banner Ad

Back