List Mgmt. 2024 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Long is, for want of a better term, overrated. If he wants to wait it out and sign as an SSP then good luck to him. He isn’t going to change our 2024 fortunes.
Agreed. Good for the statistician, not so great with impact or what the team needs.

I'd invite him to battle it out for a list spot. We could do worse than Long on the AFL list but on the same token, the immediate need for us is height.

Sure hope we take Teakle. Should fit seamlessly and cover a position of no depth
Yep - I'm convinced.
Better for the future, with VFL mids to rove to an actual ruckman; and better for now, with AFL to have another back up (other than Frampton) that won't otherwise disrupt the team if Cox or Cameron miss.
And the fact that he spent the pre-season with us means he'll be able to fit in pretty seamlessly, as you say.

Why Not?

Give a Kid a Go to see IF they are Good enough or not

Picking up kids for 6 months is cruel as they are more likely need time and in development mode, so we generally give them 18 months. Or fair number of players nominate a 18 month contract for security if they know they are likely to be picked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picking up kids for 6 months is cruel as they are more likely need time and in development mode, so we generally give them 18 months. Or fair number of players nominate a 18 month contract for security if they know they are likely to be picked

Well better then not getting any chance

Well better then not getting any chance

I’m just saying if we pick someone it’s always for the long term. Who we see potential in.

Whether they have a different view now or not remains to be seen.
But generally most prospects do nominate 18 months. So if you pick them that’s the contract you have to accept you give them

Yep - I'm convinced.
Better for the future, with VFL mids to rove to an actual ruckman; and better for now, with AFL to have another back up (other than Frampton) that won't otherwise disrupt the team if Cox or Cameron miss.
And the fact that he spent the pre-season with us means he'll be able to fit in pretty seamlessly, as you say.
We don't want to move Big Billy from the back line unless we have no other option.
He's settled in well there and playing consistently well.

I’m just saying if we pick someone it’s always for the long term. Who we see potential in.

Whether they have a different view now or not remains to be seen.
But generally most prospects do nominate 18 months. So if you pick them that’s the contract you have to accept you give them

I am not saying we want but they these Prospects did not get Drafted and Have a Good Reason at that time not to be Drafted

I am not saying we want but they these Prospects did not get Drafted and Have a Good Reason at that time not to be Drafted

For whatever reason.
That’s why they get to prove in the first half of the year to show they deserve to be on a list.

But I think clubs have been steering away from 6 month contracts and giving them at least a year.

For whatever reason.
That’s why they get to prove in the first half of the year to show they deserve to be on a list.

But I think clubs have been steering away from 6 month contracts and giving them at least a year.

In the first year of the MSD, Carlton picked up a kid who was looking a certainty to get taken in the National Draft, but then cut him after 6 months - career over. It wasn't popular.

But I think it's different if they're a mature ager and now that we have the SSP period. To me, adding them for the last few months of the season isn't much different to having them trial for a few months as an SSP - it's giving them a shot to show they belong. And the late developers actually likely to get drafted get advised to nominate 18 months.

In the first year of the MSD, Carlton picked up a kid who was looking a certainty to get taken in the National Draft, but then cut him after 6 months - career over. It wasn't popular.

But I think it's different if they're a mature ager and now that we have the SSP period. To me, adding them for the last few months of the season isn't much different to having them trial for a few months as an SSP - it's giving them a shot to show they belong. And the late developers actually likely to get drafted get advised to nominate 18 months.
Yeah, I recall that carlton player. Carlton were slammed for it, the guy even moved from WA for it, played the last dozen or so games of that season.
Looking it up, Josh Deluca it was. previously was at freo.

It takes time to learn a new system, so most would take some time to settle in. Last year's MSD, I feel like those in the first round, majority of them nominated 18 month contracts. Seems to becoming the norm. You may only nominate the 6 months if you weren't sure if you had any interest so you would take anything, anywhere just to get on a list and then try to prove yourself then.

For whatever reason.

It’s not popular with agents to give out six month contracts. They want at least 18 months to buy time and development opportunity.

Yeah, I recall that carlton player. Carlton were slammed for it, the guy even moved from WA for it, played the last dozen or so games of that season.
Looking it up, Josh Deluca it was. previously was at freo.

It takes time to learn a new system, so most would take some time to settle in. Last year's MSD, I feel like those in the first round, majority of them nominated 18 month contracts. Seems to becoming the norm. You may only nominate the 6 months if you weren't sure if you had any interest so you would take anything, anywhere just to get on a list and then try to prove yourself then.
I can see what we did this year becoming pretty standard, with the draft dropping below 50 picks and lots of state league players entering th AFL after trial periods - in which case, a 6 month MSD contract (if the MSD survives) will be a well paid trial period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fix the VFL. Make it a pathway for players who don't get drafted to be able to develop further. Most play suburban or country just to make a bit of extra money because it's just not worth going to the VFL.
If players are a genuine shot of making the AFL, they’re playing VFL or SANFL. At 18 or 19, the novelty is there. Remember, not all are guaranteed a game so end up being paid local rates anyway.

But by 22, that has worn off and more go local because the training commitment just isn’t worth it.

Fix the VFL. Make it a pathway for players who don't get drafted to be able to develop further. Most play suburban or country just to make a bit of extra money because it's just not worth going to the VFL.
I wonder what'll happen to these state league players trying to get onto a list once the vfl become afl reserves.

I think it's happening. SSP has opened things up for it. What we did this year will become normal and you'll get a lot more players entering the AFL through trial periods after good form in state leagues and less through the national draft.

I think it's happening. SSP has opened things up for it. What we did this year will become normal and you'll get a lot more players entering the AFL through trial periods after good form in state leagues and less through the national draft.
tbf, one of our SSP's came straight from the afl system, and the other from our own vfl system but had previously been on an afl list.
So only 1/3 was from your classic state league battling away to get an opportunity.

I wonder what'll happen to these state league players trying to get onto a list once the vfl become afl reserves.
Unless list sizes rise dramatically, they'll play in the AFL reserves. I actually hope they don't go with AFL reserves. It'll just kill the grand old VFA clubs that have managed to survive.

Unless list sizes rise dramatically, they'll play in the AFL reserves. I actually hope they don't go with AFL reserves. It'll just kill the grand old VFA clubs that have managed to survive.
If it does become afl reserves I assume the other clubs go to VAFA

tbf, one of our SSP's came straight from the afl system, and the other from our own vfl system but had previously been on an afl list.
So only 1/3 was from your classic state league battling away to get an opportunity.
Yeah, but they're being asked to trial based on state league, or in Sof's case lower league form. Whether they've been on a list before is irrelevant - it's enough that state league performance can get you a better shot at getting on a list.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back