Preview 2024 Rd 11 Carlton vs Gold Coast Saturday 25th May 1:45PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
A.Saad, L.Cowan, L.Fogarty

OUT: C.Durdin (Omitted), M.Pittonet (Finger), C.Marchbank (Managed)

Backs:Adam SaadJacob WeiteringLachie Cowan
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Zac WilliamsHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Orazio FantasiaCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollAlex Cincotta
Lachie FogartyGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsCorey DurdinLewis Young

Last edited:
I'm torn between which posters are worse?

In one hand we have the burn the place down, ultra negative, sakc Russell and Voss types after another loss.
Much of that is certainly in the heat of the moment, but it does seem to linger until the next game, even in a preview thread

Then there is the "why post an opinion, just sit back and marvel at our tactics and team selections, the coaches know all, remember" after a scrambling victory.

We can justifiably blame the current injury curse for our recent struggles, but the club is not beyond reproach or questioning.
I'd be interested to know who actually posts the above. I think it's healthy to question aspects of fitness, selection and gamestyle, I haven't seen anyone wanting to shutdown discussion

I know who I'd like to have out but struggling to find who I'd bring in given I'd be giving Saad another week.
Not sure what the deal is with Motlop. Has he had a "training block" and good to come straight back or does he need a run in the VFL? Is Jack M ready to return?

For me, Durdin out. Can't go kickless and hope to keep your spot. Has done virtually nothing all season. Back to VFL for him. Hopefully find some footy and form and we can look at him again later in the season.
Fantasia out. Did nothing again. Pure stupidity bringing a bloke back in on the back of one above average VFL game after doing sweet FA for weeks on end at AFL level. As I said previously, needs to go back to VFL and only be considered if he dominates at that level for weeks on end to the point where it is impossible not to pick him.
This one may be somewhat controversial, but TDK out for me too. Was horrendous Friday night. Can't possibly play him this week on the back of that effort. If he needs a rest, happy for him to have a week off and be considered for the Port game, but I wouldn't play him at AFL level this week.

I wouldn't say I loved Carroll's game (or half a game) but didn't hate is as much as others did. Unless he totally stinks it up (Durdin/Fantasia style) I'd keep him till the bye at least then reassess when Cerra returns. I think he has some AFL qualities but needs continuity and confidence.
Hoping Weiters gets up and if he does, I'd drop Marchy too. Looked very slow and off the pace Friday night. Granted he'd be better for the run, but needs another 2 or 3 in the VFL. Brought back to AFL level too soon.

In terms of ins, difficult given we don't know full availability of players yet. However, we can't keep ignoring Binns. He may be slight in frame, but he is knocking the door down and has been for a while. Cant ignore that. Those who saw the VFL yesterday seem to be raving about Cowan so would like to see him come back in on the back of that too.

Early call. Much better balanced
I’d go with one ruck at Marvel but we won’t

B: Cincotta Weitering Newman
HB: Boyd McGovern Saad
C: Acres Cripps Binns
HF: Elijah McKay Williams
F: Curnow TDK Motlop
Foll: Pittonet Kennedy Walsh
Int: Kemp Hewett Owies Cowan
Sub: Ollie
Agree with this, and I'd give TDK a spell. See how we got with a Pittonet and Harry combo. We were way too slow on Friday night

I hope we have a look into using someone else or even a couple of others to play that 4th midfielder.

Cripps, Walsh and Kennedy plus maybe EHollands, Kemp, Williams or even Cowan being that 4th rotation.

But if it’s out of Hewett or Carroll I’d be leaning towards Carroll who is just as slow but does seem to have better disposal by foot.

Wonder if Hewett can play a defensive half forward similar to how he did at Sydney..

I reckon that’s the role we need to deploy Hewett into, similar to what Adams and Jordon to for Sydney to let Heeney and Warner to run forward without concern for their opponent hurting them the other way.

Personally, I'd give Saad another week. 5 day turnaround till Port game, 6 weeks out with a hammy. Factor in the number of repeat soft tissue injuries we've had already, not worth the risk.

If there’s one bloke I reckon we can be bullish with on injury recovery it’s Saad. He is an absolute professional. If he’s ready to go then he plays.

Cerra was killing it against mebourne before he did his hamstring ( again) he is absolutely vital for midfield balance because whilst not a speedster has enough leg speed to cover a faster type and also take heat off Walsh - we are playing without a spare link man....
He's also man conscious and doesn't give his opponent the freedom to run off him. Subtly good body contact and control

No doubt, Cripps, Walsh and Cerra are our 3 main midfielders.

Problem is
1. We haven’t been able to get all 3 to play together he all year and when they do.
2. I’m not convinced we play them all in there together at every opportunity. (How many times has Cerra been HB or Walsh wing?)
3. We are too stubborn and keep using Hewett along side Cripps!
4. We are only now realising Kennedy has a defensive side. :p

He's also man conscious and doesn't give his opponent the freedom to run off him. Subtly good body contact and control
Docherty/Cerra both part of midfield planned rotations - massive outs. Silvagni 3rd tall / relief ruck/ utility massive out.
Saad/Motlop/Martin not playing for extended periods- massive outs...

all these blokes have aggregate footy IQ and skill - an order higher than what Voss at his disposal...and Silvagni aside- leg speed to go with it all..lets not forget Cottrell now out of extended period

somehow people think magically all this can be replaced by ..oh Binns and Wilson..oh and drop Kennedy - teh weekly troll week after week after week - not called for what it has been for 3-4 years now...

The cumulative impact of these missing players to game plan/execution/mnatych ups etc etc etc is just a fact of life - until they get back we are playinghalf a VFL squad and have been against the best teams in teh competition week after week after week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much of that is certainly in the heat of the moment, but it does seem to linger until the next game, even in a preview thread

I'd be interested to know who actually posts the above. I think it's healthy to question aspects of fitness, selection and gamestyle, I haven't seen anyone wanting to shutdown discussion
I think there is a 'happy-medium' somewhere between the 2 styles of posting.(the doom and gloom, and also the "look we won again, where are all those negative Nancy's)

Both types turn up like seagulls to chips, depending on the games result.

edit. I'm generalising... and try to respond to posts and ignore any previous disagreements or opposing views with other posters.

Last edited:
I think there is a 'happy-medium' somewhere between the 2 styles of posting.(the doom and gloom, and also the "look we won again, where are all those negative Nancy's)

Link a post that reflects your take on the " we won again, where are all those negative Nacy's"?"

People want discussions and then get surprised to see different points of view argued...

Lots of posing going on here as if a view means anything more than type on a page in the grand scheme of things..

The only thing that is anti-forum discussion is strong and repetitive bias repeated over and over and over again pointing fingers at particular players year after year after year - that is classic agenda stuff....

Last edited by a moderator:
Link a post that reflects your take on the " we won again, where are all those negative Nacy's"?"

People want discussions and then get surprised to see different points of view argued...

Lots of posing going on here as if a view means anything more than type on a page in the grand scheme of things..

The only thing that is anti-forum discussion is strong and repetitive bias repeated over and over and over again pointing fingers at particular players year after year after year - that is classic agenda stuff....
You missed my added on edit.

What's to be gained by confronting individual posters?
Post how ever you like. My original opinion was in response to a poster moaning about the negativity of some posters.

Last edited by a moderator:
You missed my added on edit.

What's to be gained by confronting individual posters?
Post how ever you like. My original opinion was in response to a poster moaning about the negativity of some posters.
the best 'feedback/response' to any open question/topic/issue/opinion is specific and factual - I have banned general and unspecific opinion/expression/discussion from my organisation decades ago - because 'opinion' unsubstantiated by reference to commonly agreed fact is at best useless and at worst part of 'agendas'.

When people offer an opinion based on their feeling about 'the vibe' - it is merely putting voice to their own perception - if that perception is supported by observable statement/fact - then true discussion can go ahead.

edit. I'm generalising... and try to respond to posts and ignore any previous disagreements or opposing views with other posters.
Let's start calling it for what it is

Some posters only become more active after a loss or a poor period

Others only focus on work in progress areas, nominating the same players to be dropped or come in, even on the back of last year's run of wins

I haven't see one poster suggest that all is rosy

the best 'feedback/response' to any open question/topic/issue/opinion is specific and factual - I have banned general and unspecific opinion/expression/discussion from my organisation decades ago - because 'opinion' unsubstantiated by reference to commonly agreed fact is at best useless and at worst part of 'agendas'.

When people offer an opinion based on their feeling about 'the vibe' - it is merely putting voice to their own perception - if that perception is supported by observable statement/fact - then true discussion can go ahead.
👏👏

Cowan is not remotely close to being a mid, he is a pure defender.
Wilson looks some way off senior level, Binns was almost BOG every game and didn't get a opportunity, l think we are going to have to look externally to gain some outside run.
What didn't you like about his VFL game in the middle this week?

No doubt, Cripps, Walsh and Cerra are our 3 main midfielders.

Problem is
1. We haven’t been able to get all 3 to play together he all year and when they do.
2. I’m not convinced we play them all in there together at every opportunity. (How many times has Cerra been HB or Walsh wing?)
3. We are too stubborn and keep using Hewett along side Cripps!
4. We are only now realising Kennedy has a defensive side. :p

We need to mix our midfield up and have more variability and depth.

Cripps Walsh Kennedy at the moment is our core. Cerra when fit
It’s then the options of Williams Elijah Motlop Charlie Fogarty having minutes in there to provide some leg speed and class
Walsh for example can have some minutes forward to help break tab and hopefully kick some goals
I would love to see Kemp and possibly Cowan developed to handle midfield minutes as well
Wilson will be good but not ready yet

Agree with this, and I'd give TDK a spell. See how we got with a Pittonet and Harry combo. We were way too slow on Friday night
That is a further backward step,we elect to sign TDK up and not play him in the ruck, just ridiculous, he is being wasted in his current role.
Pitto is a back/crash ruck who has no flexibility to play any other role.

Heading to LA tomorrow for a couple of weeks so will miss the Suns/Port games. I've been off the Blues for a few weeks now so it's a good time for me to have a spell. Last game I enjoyed watching was against GWS.

Hopefully we get a couple of bodies and our mojo back over the next couple of weeks as I'll be back in time to see us smash the *.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back