List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

False hope and delusion

Give it 12 hours
Ha yeah I know. Building up for another bout of torture.
Well at least we won’t die wondering they’ve changed it up a bit and to be honest it’s a bit of a wild card side. Not sure what to expect so mildly enthusiastic.
I bet freo are as confused as all ****.

i dont know,soon as i saw Paddy Dow selected i got a surge of positivity and changed my tip from cats to suns,so far so good,having said that Dow will probably be made sub

Naming him sub in his first game for us would be pretty brutal (given how many times he was sub for the Blues).

Surely Collard or Pou get the vest ahead of him.

Naming him sub in his first game for us would be pretty brutal (given how many times he was sub for the Blues).

Surely Collard or Pou get the vest ahead of him.
pou makes the most sense,lets give collard a crack against a wa team,especially one with 3 frdp i believe,but despite what beside the seaside said above,i have seen players listed on field then made sub before,but think and hope he is right for tonight

LDU would be handy….. We never get these big targets. But I can dream.
I hate to rain on your parade Verdun........but Saints dreams have a very nasty knack of turning into full scale recurring nightmares.

;) ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All bar Battle have signed for multiple years

All signed for multiple years likely on the presumption that we weren't ~3-5 years from now off contending for a flag.

ro, steele, sincs are all 29+ next year- wouldn't be surprised if any/all of them were open to being traded to a contender, regardless of their current contract status.

Might be a blessing in disguise eventually if one or two of them wanted out and in return we got truly elite young talent to grow with windy, king, owens, wilson, pou etc.

I’d suffer the indignity of coming last if you got Harley Reid. A genuine No 1 draft pick. Certainly doesn’t work out like that every year as we well know.
Reality is we could have had our own Harley if we hadn't outsmarted ourselves and picked mattress guts. The past 5 number 1s are pretty handy and ashcroft would have gone 1 over cadman in a pure draft.

Reality is we could have had our own Harley if we hadn't outsmarted ourselves and picked mattress guts. The past 5 number 1s are pretty handy and ashcroft would have gone 1 over cadman in a pure draft.

Brissie gifted with what will be 2x Ashcrofts.

If only the flowing locks on our end could reach such heights...

God it doesn’t help with every media outlet and journo regurgitating that we’re not a destination club and “why would you go to St Kilda?”. I mean I know we’re not a “big club” but good lord they make it sound like we’re the absolute dump.

We were playing in an Elimination Final 11 games ago.

God it doesn’t help with every media outlet and journo regurgitating that we’re not a destination club and “why would you go to St Kilda?”. I mean I know we’re not a “big club” but good lord they make it sound like we’re the absolute dump.

We were playing in an Elimination Final 11 games ago.

Perception is everything in footy and right now we look like one of the really disappointing sides. You make your own luck. Smart managers wouldn't give a shit but generally players only move to sides about to rise or already up. No-one wants to go to a bottom 4 side to play to empty stadiums.

To me there aren't many players available and maybe waiting a year for LDU to be a FA while positioning ourselves higher on the ladder might be a better model.

Players aren't paid enough. Get them deciding between sticking fat or $300,000 per annum after tax in difference of contract and the water will start flowing like a river in the quickest way to where the money is.

GAJ went to the Gold Coast because the contract difference was seven figures per annum. Once the money becomes too good to refuse, only then will the salary cap start acting like the de facto talent cap it is intended to be.

Surely Heath doesn’t cost us much and worth persisting with and give him time to develop. Campbell will need replacing in the meantime. I do remember hearing the coaches had high praise for Moose
How long did we give Tim Elliot?

Perception is everything in footy and right now we look like one of the really disappointing sides. You make your own luck. Smart managers wouldn't give a s**t but generally players only move to sides about to rise or already up. No-one wants to go to a bottom 4 side to play to empty stadiums.

To me there aren't many players available and maybe waiting a year for LDU to be a FA while positioning ourselves higher on the ladder might be a better model.

Agree, but things can turn and change quickly in AFL. Freo looked horrendous last year, similar teething issues to what we’re experiencing this year, now quite solid this year. We haven’t got as much talent through the middle admittedly, which hurts, but expect in roads next 1-2 years.

Neale requested a trade while Ross was coach.

All the others of course swear by RL, but I'm sure there are plenty of lesser players from his first St Kilda time who did not.

Yep. I've heard stories about there being the favs of Ross and then the rest who didn't hear much from the boss.

This could be huge for us (if we are brave enough to stop playing it safe with list mgt and actually innovate)

The ability to simply buy picks with spare salary cap would be huge for us.

We won't ever get the big fish elite mid(s) we need (eg degoey, kelly etc) to become a flag contender via trade or free agency.

If we are brave enough to face up to that reality and stop chasing unicorns- being able to use our huge stockpile of unspent salary cap on buying a couple of extra first round draft picks is our best realistic option.

If the AFL bring this in- I'm all in on us maxing out our salary cap for the next 3+ years (while maintaining our current list and not bringing in any RFA's etc) IF if means our free cap space is spent on getting 2+ extra first round picks.

(Hypothetically) if we got 2+ extra first rounders for cap space- it could look something like this imo:

2024:
Finish ~13th = pick 6
+
extra first rounder = ~pick 15

2025:
Finish ~13th = pick 6
+
extra first rounder = ~pick 15

We then hit 2026+ with the cupboard FULL of elite young talent in the 18-20yo bracket

Plus- by that time- all of wilson, owens, windy, nas, king, battle, higgins etc will be in their prime years with ~80+ games under their belt.

Sign.me.up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back