List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a midfielders draft with really high end players right up until the teens. I think we'd want to make the most of our high priced recruiter too. I'd guess if we have a top 10 pick we'd really want to take it to the draft.

Agreed, how likely are we to land Draper? Looks like he could be something. If not, Tom Gross could be reasonable.

If we get a top 10 pick then we'll get Darcy Wilson 2.0 - the guy that is in the top rung but slides due to needs-based picks. Smillie O'Sullivan will be gone, but Draper, Moraes, Jagga Smith could all easily slide. Hopefully some KPP prospects move up the draft boards to make the mids slide a bit

I think we need to stay the course with what we're doing, drafting with our first and picking up players with later picks or free agents. McCluggage should be top priority as a RFA mid. I also like the idea of Daniel given our game plan of hitting targets in the corridor - we need all the good kicks we can get. He's still only 27 (will be 28 in July) so plenty of footy in him.

I would love LDU but that would cost the world in draft picks/players. If it was on offer you have to consider it though. From all the godfather offers in FA over the years not many have come off, and less from smaller unsuccessful clubs too.
I would say stick to recruiting running power and pace. Not sure Daniel fits that bill anymore.

McCluggage and Bailey Smith sure do though.

We won’t be burning first rounders in trades so any deal with north would be dependent on their own plans to bring in free agents. They’d surely get pick 2 if they didn’t match but that would be compromised if they had any players joining through free agency.

I guess the bottom line is LDU would need to demand out, the deal would have to be large enough to deter north matching and they’d have to game the system by trading in any free agents themselves. I seems like a stretch but they have other players we’d be interested in where we could sweeten things a bit.

Seems a stretch to me but stranger things have happened.

If we get a top 10 pick then we'll get Darcy Wilson 2.0 - the guy that is in the top rung but slides due to needs-based picks. Smillie O'Sullivan will be gone, but Draper, Moraes, Jagga Smith could all easily slide. Hopefully some KPP prospects move up the draft boards to make the mids slide a bit

Jagga Smith, Draper or Moraes would be nice. All look like quality mids ad suit needs.

We don’t need Daniels or McRae, bringing in player like that is a total waste of time imo. All that sort of recruitment will do is clog our list and stunt the development of our young players. Ask yourself, how good are they, where are you going to play them, who are they getting picked in front of.

Older players who don’t fill an obvious pressing need are a waste of resources. We need guys who will move the needle in positions of obvious need.

We won’t be burning first rounders in trades so any deal with north would be dependent on their own plans to bring in free agents. They’d surely get pick 2 if they didn’t match but that would be compromised if they had any players joining through free agency.

I guess the bottom line is LDU would need to demand out, the deal would have to be large enough to deter north matching and they’d have to game the system by trading in any free agents themselves. I seems like a stretch but they have other players we’d be interested in where we could sweeten things a bit.

Seems a stretch to me but stranger things have happened.

LDU is a year off getting Free Agency so if you wanted to try to remove him before they potentially improve and he stays, you'd probably have to get creative. If we had a pick around 10 you might be able to swap that for their end of first round and a future first rounder or something.

If the pick is under pick 10 you'd probably want to take it to this draft and try to work something out around future picks of try to get creative.

We don’t need Daniels or McRae, bringing in player like that is a total waste of time imo. All that sort of recruitment will do is clog our list and stunt the development of our young players. Ask yourself, how good are they, where are you going to play them, who are they getting picked in front of.

Older players who don’t fill an obvious pressing need are a waste of resources. We need guys who will move the needle in positions of obvious need.

Disagree, if they were cheap they fill in the gap while the kids build up. Replace Byrnes etc with Caleb Daniel and if Crouch is done he gives us that missing piece back. If someone comes on he pushes out to the VFL and you improve the competitiveness and training environment at Sandy.

Daniel and McCrae would both be in our best 8 players. Not sure list cloggers are in your best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks a very good draft for mids, why would we walk away from that ?.
We aren’t, hence why Ross and co have literally said that we won’t be trading for players with our early picks for the next 2 years. People suggesting the likes of Smith and trading for LDU rather than getting him for free next year haven’t paid attention to the words of Ross.

However, I wouldn’t rule out trading in depth/out of favour players for cheap that could push for b22 with us

Does any one know if Van Es is going on the LTI list? It would be handy to have a pick at the MSD in a few weeks.

Adam D'Aloia and Mutaz El Nour would both be handy for us.

D'Aloia was captain of SA 2 years ago and a shock when he wasn't drafted. Midfielder going well in the SANFL.

El Nour is a tall defender who isn't that tall but athletic AF. Sudanese mature ager from the Tigers VFL list.
D'Aloia one I wanted in his draft year having been watched him closely across his juniors. Lacks a little burst from stoppage but an absolute animal at the contest, reminds me of a younger Taylor Adams. Would love the saints to land him midseason if possible.

I know plenty love McCluggage, but he's outside, isn't he? And also the priority for Brisbane to re-sign.

I'd be keeping an eye on Berry - an inside mid playing outside due to Brisbane having too many inside mids, so more of what we need, and would be cheaper salary wise?
He can do both.

Attending about 60-80% of CBA's for Brisbane this year. Last year, it was more wing when Ashcroft was in the side then back into the middle once Ashcroft was injured

I know plenty love McCluggage, but he's outside, isn't he? And also the priority for Brisbane to re-sign.

I'd be keeping an eye on Berry - an inside mid playing outside due to Brisbane having too many inside mids, so more of what we need, and would be cheaper salary wise?
Both McCluggage and Berry can play inside and outside. Berry is the tall and tough type of mid while Clug is the silky kicker type

McCluggage averages more contested possessions than Berry. He’s quick and uses the ball well which makes people think he’s outside but he still wins a decent amount of ball. Berry spends most of his time not getting it.

McCluggage averages more contested possessions than Berry. He’s quick and uses the ball well which makes people think he’s outside but he still wins a decent amount of ball. Berry spends most of his time not getting it.
Berry averages 21 disposals wdym😭

Should the strategy then be to make significant offers to both McCluggage and Berry in the hope you can get one of them?
Not sure how much interest there is for Berry. I’d definitely do it though, we’d potentially be able to get both of them as a package since they’re good mates. Then we can retire Seb and put Berry in his spot while Clug can be part of that mid/wing rotation

I cannot believe people still believe we should be trading for players. Have we not learned anything over the last decade? Lets say we trade our FRDP and SRDP for Bailey Smith. That would mean we have no picks of value to take to the draft. That is cutting your nose to spite your face and totally laughable in my honest opinion....

He can do both.

Attending about 60-80% of CBA's for Brisbane this year. Last year, it was more wing when Ashcroft was in the side then back into the middle once Ashcroft was injured

Plus- brisbanes cap must be absolutely bursting.

He will be walking away from a lot of money (from the likes of us) to stay.

Which of course he might well do- but he is an attacking mid/wing who often (despite playing an outside role for bris) racks up a dozen + contested possies a game.

He's exactly the kind of guy we need to help steele out in the centre square

Remove this Banner Ad

Back