AFL Player #30: Nate Caddy

Remove this Banner Ad

If we're in it for the long term, then Caddy should get more than a few games this year. He was not overwhelmed by the moment and really cracked in. He showed a lot. It is a pity he missed those shots.

The problem we have is that we're desperate for a small forward. Menzies doesn't have the X-factor and Davey is still at least 2 more pre-seasons away from being physically capable to impact the game. We have to many tall options at the moment with Langford and Stringer as both mid sized players. Jones are Wright being mainstays, and we probably need to play 2 rucks because Goldy is too old, Draper is too injured and Bryan is too young.

Langford is the cream of the crop now. Wright is proven, despite having trouble getting back to his best since two injury setbacks. Given that two small forwards are necessary, one like Gresham who also impacts midfield and that dangerous forward we don't have yet, we can only play two of Stringer, Jones, Caddy and resting ruck.

If we were North, Richmond, or West Coast I'd play him nearly every week.

I think Essendon can afford to play him on and off this year and look at adjusting our list appropriately next year. Whether that is trading out Jones or Stringer or not. However, if Caddy is fit he should be a mainstay next year.

I still think our aim should be a deserved finalist next year and genuine contenders in 2026.

Long rant I know, but I really liked what I saw last night. I'd like to play him more, but I think playing the senior guys now helps us long-term because we have a better picture of who to trade and delist and our youth can build in the VFL where they have smaller match day loads to spend more time in the gym, and can focus on aspects of their game. They still need the occasional run in AFL to measure their development.

He hasn’t done enough to keep Jones out. It’s Harry’s spot to lose and he didn’t deserve to be suspended in the first place. Caddy needs to continue to earn his stripes.
Jones hasn’t done enough for it to be “his” position. They are currently competing for the same position.

Regarding others who have said for Wright to be dropped for Caddy/Jones. You need your head read. Wright takes the number 1 defender, can play second ruck and kicked 4 goals just last week.

Jones hasn’t done enough for it to be “his” position. They are currently competing for the same position.

Regarding others who have said for Wright to be dropped for Caddy/Jones. You need your head read. Wright takes the number 1 defender, can play second ruck and kicked 4 goals just last week.
Spot on mate jones last three weeks have been very ordinary and I know people will jump on here and go but jones provides pressure.
My answer to that is in jones last game he had four pressure acts caddy in he’s first had nine

Intensity is one thing but seemed to run under the ball nearly every lead, no nuance or ball judgement. Ended up getting tunnelled multiple times while trying to jump at balls already slightly past him, I reckon he's so used to using those long arms to pluck he's maybe in a habit of mistiming his lead and jump. AFL defenders will have him for breakfast currently but plenty to work with. If I recall, Harry used to do the same early days
He runs under it in the VFL too.

Spot on mate jones last three weeks have been very ordinary and I know people will jump on here and go but jones provides pressure.
My answer to that is in jones last game he had four pressure acts caddy in he’s first had nine
I’ll go with Brad Scott’s assessment when discussing Jones being outed at the presser. If the coach says you’ve been in good form then it’s reasonable to assume that it’s Harry’s spot to lose. I’m not basing my opinion purely on what the larger football public might be seeing. Internally they’ve been happy with his output and obviously want continuity while he’s growing into that role. It’s not that hard to fathom really. Now if They leave Jones out next week based on that I’d be very surprised but hey, that’s fine too. I want Caddy to have exposure too.

Looked pretty good. Not sure he has the pace of Jones for those wanting that swap at the moment - and the forward line workrate looked lacking last night. I'd have Jones in for that reason even if his form isn't great.

I liked what I saw from Caddy, he definitely has a crack and is a good target but I'd still bring Jones back in for him. This is only Caddy's first year as an 18 year old. He can still learn a ton just playing in the VFL. This is basically a make or break year for Jones and he's much more ready to perform week in week out.

Caddy will no doubt play a few more senior games by seasons end but realistically I don't think he's holding out any of Langford, Stringer, Wright or Jones in 2024. No doubt injuries/suspensions will come and its good to know he's ready should an opportunity arise.
Agreed. We have time on our side with Caddy. Let's continue with a very hungry, edgewise Jones. He'll enter his prime in a couple of years and is only just entering a beast phase.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back