AFL Player #31: Zach Reid - Good numbers in the VFL - 11/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Started off as hamstring awareness.
Some bodies just aren’t up to how demanding modern day AFL is.
Like that Sydney player who would do his acl every time he put on a pair of footy boots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm extremely nervous now.

This next 3 month period is massive for ZR.

Either the early period of his career was just growing pains, or he turns out real fragile forever. This isn't last chance by any means but we are getting closer to the end than the start in terms of whether his body will hold up.

I'm extremely nervous now.

This next 3 month period is massive for ZR.

Either the early period of his career was just growing pains, or he turns out real fragile forever. This isn't last chance by any means but we are getting closer to the end than the start in terms of whether his body will hold up.

The length of time that it's taking him to recover is shortening and/or the impact of injuries are lessening. This is the shortest time he's ever had on the side-lines, so if there's any silver lining/sign of progression we can take, it's that.

Very intelligent player and his kicking is as precise as you'd want it to be (93% disposal efficiency in the Geelong preseason game). He brings so much maturity despite playing so little, can only imagine his ceiling if he can manage to string some games together.

Let's hope the shorter stint off the field leads to longer stints on it.

Last edited:
Also fun fact,

Zach Reid total AFL games played at 22 years and 14 days (4th year at the club): 9

Ben Mckay total AFL games played at 22 years and 6 months: 5

Ben McKay did not play his 5th AFL game until his 5th year at the club.

Last edited:
Also fun fact,

Zach Reid total games played at 22 years and 14 days: 9

Ben Mckay total games played at 22 years and 5 months: 5
Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan

Also fun fact - they both only had 2 wins in their first 9 games

I hope Zach Reid doesn’t move to North Melb in some kind of reverse karma move

Also fun fact,

Zach Reid total games played at 22 years and 14 days: 9

Ben Mckay total games played at 22 years and 5 months: 5

Pretty sure McKay was playing regularly at VFL level because Thompson and Tarrant were holding him out of the AFL side, not an injury related thing.

If you were Hayes, would you feel a little hard done by if Reid is just a walk up start back in the main squad without any VFL form?
I’d be very surprised if Reid wasn’t in the vfl for a couple of weeks.

If you were Hayes, would you feel a little hard done by if Reid is just a walk up start back in the main squad without any VFL form?

I think Reid was showing a lot in preseason, but I'm not sure it should justify coming straight back in at AFL level, or being ahead of Hayes when Hayes has been quite decent in the VFL.

So yes, he'd probably quite fairly feel disappointed if that happened.

Is it worth playing him in the VFL or straight back in to the AFL for, likely, Laverde?

IMO VFL for a few weeks to get some continuity and where we can better manage his minutes. No sense bringing him back to the AFL if he's not 100% fit and ready to play full minutes. Meanwhile we've got Hayes that deserves a shot soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back