AFL Player #32: Ben "Buckets" McKay - Worth every penny

Remove this Banner Ad

Bucket Tub GIF by Big Potato Games
❤️

Fun fact - This is already Ben Mckay's most winning season ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy to say that I got this acquisition well wrong. I wasn't unhappy about getting McKay.. but I was very meh about it. I thought it was a nice replacement for BZT but otherwise unspectacular. Couldn't be happier that I was so wrong.

Is the best FB we have had since prime Hooker imho. Total lockdown, marking threat and huge presence. Teams are adjusting where to direct the ball based on McKay.. huge impact!

When Hogan marked that first easy one I thought it was more of the same but McKay just stayed true and eventually came out a big big winner. The piece of play that impressed me most was in the third quarter.. McKay dropped a mark (a tough one but still gettable) near forward pocket.. instead of dropping his head, he charged back into the play, won the ball cleanly and sent a looooong handball that set off a forward chain. Nothing came of it but I was just impressed because it really did seem like McKay made it his personal responsibility to clean up after his mistake. Tiny moment but spoke volumes for me.

Can not wait to see how Ridley goes with this bloke also in the backline. Could be a scary good combo. Would be surreal for him that in two weeks time he could have more wins in a single season that he had in his whole career at North. Just goes to show how bad it must be for the players at the perennial bottom feeder clubs.

Going to be selection headache when Ridley and Reid are both fit. In fact there are selection headaches all over the field.

Happy to say that I got this acquisition well wrong. I wasn't unhappy about getting McKay.. but I was very meh about it. I thought it was a nice replacement for BZT but otherwise unspectacular. Couldn't be happier that I was so wrong.

Is the best FB we have had since prime Hooker imho. Total lockdown, marking threat and huge presence. Teams are adjusting where to direct the ball based on McKay.. huge impact!

When Hogan marked that first easy one I thought it was more of the same but McKay just stayed true and eventually came out a big big winner. The piece of play that impressed me most was in the third quarter.. McKay dropped a mark (a tough one but still gettable) near forward pocket.. instead of dropping his head, he charged back into the play, won the ball cleanly and sent a looooong handball that set off a forward chain. Nothing came of it but I was just impressed because it really did seem like McKay made it his personal responsibility to clean up after his mistake. Tiny moment but spoke volumes for me.

Can not wait to see how Ridley goes with this bloke also in the backline. Could be a scary good combo. Would be surreal for him that in two weeks time he could have more wins in a single season that he had in his whole career at North. Just goes to show how bad it must be for the players at the perennial bottom feeder clubs.

Going to be selection headache when Ridley and Reid are both fit. In fact there are selection headaches all over the field.
Not many people know this, but when McKay hits 9 wins with us, it triggers North to be automatically sent to Darwin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back