Prediction AFL Magic Round - The not so subtle way to have CFC play a 6th Interstate game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 1, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
So the AFL have officially announced an extra round in 2023, to be played in SA.

Does anyone here genuinely believe we won't be playing either Adelaide or Port Adelaide in this new round, subjecting us to a 6th proper interstate game?

I would put a lot of $$ on this and we will see if this comes to fruition in a couple of weeks time when the fixture comes out.

I suspect the below:

14 MCG games
3 Marvel Games
6 Interstate games (with the 6th being against Crows or Power in Magic Round)

So the AFL have officially announced an extra round in 2023, to be played in SA.

Does anyone here genuinely believe we won't be playing either Adelaide or Port Adelaide in this new round, subjecting us to a 6th proper interstate game?

I would put a lot of $$ on this and we will see if this comes to fruition in a couple of weeks time when the fixture comes out.

I suspect the below:

14 MCG games
3 Marvel Games
6 Interstate games (with the 6th being against Crows or Power in Magic Round)

If I in charge of allocating games and the Pies were given another game, I would have it at the MCG if I wanted to maximise money. Taking it interstate might promote the game, but if you want more money, get bums on seats at the MCG.

I can see Port vs Collingwood.

Apparently the teams that play in this round will receive $500K each from the AFL

Don’t mind the concept, but the Adelaide sides should pay each other. Otherwise they get the free kick of another home game. Fingers crossed it’s not against us, but we know it will be.

Doesnt sound like we will play either SA team

Collingwood or another big Victorian club is tipped to open the round at Adelaide Oval.

The two SA sides will not face off in a Showdown but may instead receive the prime time Friday and Saturday night slots.

I can see Port vs Collingwood.

Apparently the teams that play in this round will receive $500K each from the AFL
Even Essendon?

It’s not an away game if our opponent isn’t an SA team. We will be drawn a blockbuster opponent for sure to promote the game. I’d back it in that we will play Richmond Geelong Melbourne or Carlton.

Good result if we are first cab off the rank before the ground is deemed unplayable after five or six games there in two or three days.

The thing I don't get is adding an extra match to the season?

Want to have a showcase with all teams playing in the one state for a round? Fine, no problems with that.

Want to do so by adding an extra match to the schedule? Not so good, especially if we're used as a pawn to play one of the home teams in whatever state the showcase happens to land in from year to year, which we all know is bound to happen (even if we do avoid it this year).

Smells like an attempt to slip an extra game into the schedule in preparation for Tassie entering the competition at the end of the decade, by which time the AFL will obviously have cited logistical issues as reason for discontinuing the showcase round in favour of the extra game against Tassie.

The thing I don't get is adding an extra match to the season?

Want to have a showcase with all teams playing in the one state for a round? Fine, no problems with that.

Want to do so by adding an extra match to the schedule? Not so good, especially if we're used as a pawn to play one of the home teams in whatever state the showcase happens to land in from year to year, which we all know is bound to happen (even if we do avoid it this year).

Smells like an attempt to slip an extra game into the schedule in preparation for Tassie entering the competition at the end of the decade, by which time the AFL will obviously have cited logistical issues as reason for discontinuing the showcase round in favour of the extra game against Tassie.
Because its said the last practice game is treated more or less like a competive game, so why not just do away with a pre-season game and add a game for premiership points... is the point.
Players at that point just want to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because its said the last practice game is treated more or less like a competive game, so why not just do away with a pre-season game and add a game for premiership points... is the point.

I don't recall anybody really saying that until it was said now by the AFL.

So long as it means we don’t play a home game at Marvel against the dogs or saints
This is a "bonus" game. We still have 3 contracted games at Marvel. My guess is 2 of those will be against interstate teams and the other one against either North, Dogs or Saints.

Don’t mind the concept, but the Adelaide sides should pay each other. Otherwise they get the free kick of another home game.

Wouldn’t be much different to us getting ‘another home game’ whenever we play Geelong, Essendon or Carlton at the MCG.

… subjecting us to a 6th proper interstate game?

What’s wrong with us playing a 6th interstate game?

Most teams play at least 10 interstate games (all interstate teams + Hawks + North)

If we truly see ourselves as the biggest club in the land, shouldn’t we be getting out and about playing in front of our fans all around the country in away games?

Don’t mind the concept, but the Adelaide sides should pay each other. Otherwise they get the free kick of another home game. Fingers crossed it’s not against us, but we know it will be.
If Port and Adelaide play each other in Magic Round that will still mean they get another 11 home games at other times. It’s a free kick any way you slice it.

They won’t waste the Showdown on Magic Round.

But then what was the second last practice game becomes the last practice game and it gets treated more or less like a competitive game ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back