Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XI - McKay. Goldstein. Gresham. Duursma!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And we really really liked Saad and Daniher... Hawks are a massive chance to go under 3 wins this year. I don't think they would start favourites vs any team round 1. There is opportunity to foment discontent within their playing group.

We've also pursued 3 contracted players that led to the sides not willing to trade. This is a much more fruitful endeavour.

Worst case scenario we get Hawks to pay salary overs for an unproven talent.
Saad and Daniher were in their prime and moved because they thought they would be competing and the club was an absolute basket case.

Day is 4th year player playing for a team that knows exactly where it's at. They have plenty of cap space and opportunity to offer him - which is all we have to be honest - and a club with a clear plan to compete by the time he is in his prime.

Coming to us is a lateral move, at best.

Saad and Daniher were in their prime and moved because they thought they would be competing and the club was an absolute basket case.

Day is 4th year player playing for a team that knows exactly where it's at. They have plenty of cap space and opportunity to offer him - which is all we have to be honest - and a club with a clear plan to compete by the time he is in his prime.

last line is key
Why move to us over the Tigers, Dees, etc.

We need to get better before we attract talent....esp talent that will cost.
And not sure he's a priority. I'd rather target a solid Key Defender (or two if Zerk drops off in '23 and Reid/Cox don't come on)

At the moment, at the end of the year it's going to be 2-3 wins and a lot of blow outs vs 10-11 wins maybe scrapping finals.

10-11 for us is ambitious.

We play the Eagles, Giants, Roos, Cats, Power, Magpies twice. I think we take 7-8 wins from that. Meaning we only have to take 2-3 wins from 11 games vs the rest. This year we took games off the Crows, Suns, Saints, Swans and Lions from that group. I expect us to improve a bit on last year.

At the moment, at the end of the year it's going to be 2-3 wins and a lot of blow outs vs 10-11 wins maybe scrapping finals.
I think 10-11 wins is pie in the sky for us.

In any event, forget about just this year (where I actually think they will win 4-5). Hawthorn have a plan, a coach the players (inexplicably) like and bunch of young talent. I can see him giving it more than just the next 12 months.

They’re going to win more than 2-3 games. Their back half is still very good.

Their forward line and midfield is trash though. They've got talent but it ain't ready yet. No Gunston, no Lewis for the start of the year, Moore moving to the midfield, Bruest another year older. Would be the worst forward line in the league until Lewis gets back. Given how young and small they are in the middle, I expect them to pick up injuries through physicality.

If Lewis doesn't get back before round 5 I think their first winnable game is round 10 vs Eagles and given their youth profile I think they will tire as the year goes on and be out of gas when some 50/50ish games roll around on the back end.

Their forward line and midfield is trash though. They've got talent but it ain't ready yet. No Gunston, no Lewis for the start of the year, Moore moving to the midfield, Bruest another year older. Would be the worst forward line in the league until Lewis gets back. Given how young and small they are in the middle, I expect them to pick up injuries through physicality.

If Lewis doesn't get back before round 5 I think their first winnable game is round 10 vs Eagles and given their youth profile I think they will tire as the year goes on and be out of gas when some 50/50ish games roll around on the back end.
Their first winnable game is round 1 😂

Their first winnable game is round 1 😂

Coming from the reigning closest to the pin champ: We will beat them by 40 points and I'm the biggest pessimist on here. We should be tanking for Harley Reid but we'll get a draft pick about 10, you guys just aren't pessimistic enough.

Coming from the reigning closest to the pin champ: We will beat them by 40 points and I'm the biggest pessimist on here. We should be tanking for Harley Reid but we'll get a draft pick about 10, you guys just aren't pessimistic enough.
And we were meant to get flogged by then when we had 8 late changes. Hawks essendon rivalry is not that easy.

He played some midfield in the scratch match the other day so it's looking like they're giving him a role he wants to stay in, they have no cap issues and they're not really any clearly worse off than we are. Doesn't make sense to move across town so all we'd be able to achieve is bid up his contract - which is what we appeared to do with Rowan Marshall at STK.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And we were meant to get flogged by then when we had 8 late changes. Hawks essendon rivalry is not that easy.

Most games go to plan and the odd one doesn't. They've only beaten us once since 2018 and they've become considerably less mature since then and we've become more mature. Anything is possible but I think we'd have to kick well under 50% at goal. We should have both aerial and clearance dominance.

Most games go to plan and the odd one doesn't. They've only beaten us once since 2018 and they've become considerably less mature since then and we've become more mature. Anything is possible but I think we'd have to kick well under 50% at goal. We should have both aerial and clearance dominance.
The ruck match up will be a good early season test for Draper I think we may have to play Bryan. The reeves leek combo would trouble a part time ruck in weid.

The ruck match up will be a good early season test for Draper I think we may have to play Bryan. The reeves leek combo would trouble a part time ruck in weid.

I'm happy with either Bryan or Phillips or neither. Nice test but I don't think the match up determines much in the game. I don't think they will combine for more than 3 goals at best and they could dominate the hitouts and it likely won't translate to clearance. That said I think Draper puts his claim on top 3 ruck this year.

What I want from the back up ruck is Voss. Third tall forward, pinch hitting become the extra mid at ground level and just throw his physicality around.

I'm happy with either Bryan or Phillips or neither. Nice test but I don't think the match up determines much in the game. I don't think they will combine for more than 3 goals at best and they could dominate the hitouts and it likely won't translate to clearance. That said I think Draper puts his claim on top 3 ruck this year.

What I want from the back up ruck is Voss. Third tall forward, pinch hitting become the extra mid at ground level and just throw his physicality around.

From what I've read from training watchers his midfield craft is a long way off.

I don’t think voss is ready for that yet. Voss 3rd tall is Jones goes down imo

From what I've read from training watchers his midfield craft is a long way off.

It's not really something that I'm that concerned about. I don't expect him to position himself correctly all the time or to find the ball that much. I want him to be something inbetween Max Rooke and Mumford. 10 touches, a goal, 5ish tackles and a few decapitations. Bring energy, pain and make space in the middle. I think he'd win clearances, due to his desire to hunt the body and perform defensive actions.

It's not really something that I'm that concerned about. I don't expect him to position himself correctly all the time or to find the ball that much. I want him to be something inbetween Max Rooke and Mumford. 10 touches, a goal, 5ish tackles and a few decapitations.

I don't think Voss is ruck sized (~ 194cm from a quick google) so he'll be more a powerful medium forward than anything else if he doesn't have the craft, otherwise his positioning through the midfield is likely to cause problems.

We play the Eagles, Giants, Roos, Cats, Power, Magpies twice. I think we take 7-8 wins from that. Meaning we only have to take 2-3 wins from 11 games vs the rest. This year we took games off the Crows, Suns, Saints, Swans and Lions from that group. I expect us to improve a bit on last year.
pies, power and cats will belt us in both rounds.
Eagles beat us last year as a winless side who couldn't score (110 against us)
Giants is 55/45 their way to me.

so 2 from the roos.
Maybe a home win v Eagles.

pies, power and cats will belt us in both rounds.
Eagles beat us last year as a winless side who couldn't score (110 against us)
Giants is 55/45 their way to me.

so 2 from the roos.
Maybe a home win v Eagles.
I fail to see how the pies will be belting us. We could’ve easily beat them twice last year (not saying we should’ve). We actually match up pretty well against them.

I fail to see how the pies will be belting us. We could’ve easily beat them twice last year (not saying we should’ve). We actually match up pretty well against them.
we had them beat and they still beat us in 15s last year.
I have them quite comfortably ahead of us and getting better faster than we are

we had them beat and they still beat us in 15s last year.
I have them quite comfortably ahead of us and getting better faster than we are
And? That’s not a belting
Harry Jones doesn’t hit the post and we win.

And how do you know they’re getting better faster than us this off season. Every team is starting from scratch round 1, no one knows how good anyone is going to be this year yet.

And? That’s not a belting
Harry Jones doesn’t hit the post and we win.

And how do you know they’re getting better faster than us this off season. Every team is starting from scratch round 1, no one knows how good anyone is going to be this year yet.
Not that the game's last year were beltings, but i reckon they belt us this year. they'll have refined the game plan that took them within a kick of a GF. We've cleaned the slate and starting with basics.

their finish to the year was pushing the two eventual finalists to games decided under a kick in finals.
Our finish was two 10+ goal beltings and the offseason from hell.

they're in the conversation for top 4
We're in the conversation for bottom 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back