Toast Andrew Gaff - 250 Games

Remove this Banner Ad

1A164A58-A472-48B1-87F6-27761E450D66.jpeg
• 2 x All Australian (2015, 2018)
• 1 x John Worsfold medalist (2015)
• 10 consecutive Top 10 B+F finishes (2012-2021)
• Most WCE games by a Victorian
• Heavyweight Champion of the World (2018)

For me Gaffy’s 250th arrives with mixed feelings. At his best he was the best winger in the comp and a key cog in our greatest days of ball movement. He came in right from Round 1, 2011 and looked a player. Even as a scrawny kid, he was outrunning people late in the fourth and linking up in ways that seemed ridiculous for someone with so little AFL preparation.

Despite never being the most physical player in the contest, I always feel he gets underrated for his willingness to stand under a high ball or go back with the flight. On draft night, we were promised death by 1000 cuts and that’s exactly what we got. His disposal numbers have been historic, and he holds the Eagles record for both kicks and disposals in a season. The bloke has touched the footy more than anyone in Eagles history, and by some way.

Unfortunately, the 2022 Andrew Gaff has been the least effective version by a distance. The punch in his kicks has gone, and the effortless running now looks laboured. I’m interested in his role going forward, even more so now that we saw him play HFF last week and cede the wing position to others.

Of course, he missed the 2018 flag for punching some random kid, but still made the All Australian team that year, such was the quality of his output in a shortened season. I think it’s telling that his two AA seasons (2015 and 2018) were the years we were at our most potent.

Two All Aus, a club champ, 10 consecutive top 10 finishes and 250+ games is more than you could ever expect from someone, and it’s fair to say that the Eagles absolutely nailed it when they read out his name in 2010.

Well done Gaffy. I’m not sure what the future holds for you, but you’ve been a tremendous servant of the club to date and hope you will be celebrated accordingly.

So it's Gaff's 250th this week
Well done on a great career Gaffy, a lot more positives than neg with your time at the Eagles.

Unfortunately though, being a 250 game player at the Eagles you would know this, you are more than likely going to experience a loss in your milestone game.
Don't feel bad, it is just inevitable.

Posted this in the contracts thread but it’s probably more relevant here

Whilst I’m on Gaff, he’ll become the the 11th 250 game player of ours but the first to reach that milestone without playing in a premiership

Looking down the list we’ve had 27x 200 game players with only Gaff, Priddis(240), Sheppard(216) and Naitanui(210*) not winning a flag

Going further we’ve had 45x 150 game players with only Phil Matera(179) and Rosa(168) not winning a flag

Of those players only Phil Matera didn’t play in a GF. Rosa was the sub in 2015

Goes to show that if you play for us for long enough you’ll at least get a crack at a flag and probably win one

For a guy who’s in a race with Darling to be our next 300 game player (both players are contracted to 2024 so injury/trade permitting will have the opportunity to reach 300) I don’t feel he’s ever really been a fan favourite. Possibly because his death by 1000 cuts style isn’t particularly exciting and he won’t have the most exhilarating highlights reel

What he has been is the definition of reliable and an underrated part of our success during his time at the club

Last edited:
So it's Gaff's 250th this week
Well done on a great career Gaffy, a lot more positives than neg with your time at the Eagles.

Unfortunately though, being a 250 game player at the Eagles you would know this, you are more than likely going to experience a loss in your milestone game.
Don't feel bad, it is just inevitable.

For the record we are 6-4 in 250th milestone games but 7 of those were at home. Our three away 250th games we’ve lost however

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope he can pump out the 26 possies required to move into 4th most disposals by game 250.

I wonder if the stand on the mark rule has hurt his game a bit. Their seems to be more run around the player on the mark, play on and kick long. Rather then being held up and having to look for runners into space with link up plays.

Andrew Gaff has been an integral part of our club for a long time and resisted overtures to go home in favour of pursuing a flag that was well deserved but unfortunately didn't eventuate. The past couple of seasons have been frustrating to watch but they are a mere drop in the ocean compared to what he's given the Eagles.

Gaff is a club legend and his loyalty is unquestionable. I commend him for not leaving to chase the flag he missed out on.

Unfortunately for where we are at right now, he's simply the icing on a cake we don't have.

Andrew Gaff has been an integral part of our club for a long time and resisted overtures to go home in favour of pursuing a flag that was well deserved but unfortunately didn't eventuate. The past couple of seasons have been frustrating to watch but they are a mere drop in the ocean compared to what he's given the Eagles.

100% agree. Cops too much crap for a fantastic WCE clubman.

Can't wait for a Nicoski type resurgent season in 2023 and have his reputation restored.

Clearly cannot get himself fit at the moment and needs a reset next year.

Well done Gaffy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back