Oppo Camp Caleb Poulter (Bulldogs MSD 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Poults was my favourite amongst our draft crop for his year. Yep, I admit it was the glorious mullet and the chiselled face that did it for me (plus, hailing from Ardrossan where I lived many a year ago) ;).

Poulter was not their worse tonight, got up and down the field okay and gave the final hand pass for a couple of goals.

I really felt for him last night. Yep, he ran up and down his wing ALL game and was often in the clear, but was ignored. The Doggies insisted on going down the line on the opposite wing, which failed to achieve much on quite a few occasions. They simply refused to take chances and switch the direction of forward play.

The other players may not yet have confidence in him, but surely they know he's an extremely long kick, which could've achieved just as much as going down the opposite wing often did. :( At least, he was able to score a goal in the first quarter, which was great to see. Hopefully, he'll retain his spot and get used more often, as the season goes on. At least, he has shown he has the stamina to play on the wing. ;)

In comparison to young players like Quaynor, Hill, Naicos, McCreery or Ginnivan he lacks presence out on the field and it's players young or old with presence that fuel a side.

Whether that's due to his nature or lack of confidence I don't know but right now he's an inoffensive player, certainly not terrible but not very memorable for any great reason either.

Is he really faster than Bianco though?
I really dont know
Bianco looks like he gets mowed down sometimes
If Poulters that slow he wont make it at afl

Either way, I can see why he got cut, and I can see why he was given another chance
No too fussed, just good that hes found a team that suits his style

Poults was my favourite amongst our draft crop for his year. Yep, I admit it was the glorious mullet and the chiselled face that did it for me (plus, hailing from Ardrossan where I lived many a year ago) ;).

I really felt for him last night. Yep, he ran up and down his wing ALL game and was often in the clear, but was ignored. The Doggies insisted on going down the line on the opposite wing, which failed to achieve much on quite a few occasions. They simply refused to take chances and switch the direction of forward play.

The other players may not yet have confidence in him, but surely they know he's an extremely long kick, which could've achieved just as much as going down the opposite wing often did. :( At least, he was able to score a goal in the first quarter, which was great to see. Hopefully, he'll retain his spot and get used more often, as the season goes on. At least, he has shown he has the stamina to play on the wing. ;)

I still thought he played okay.

Poulter had some Good Games at VFL Level Espically his 1st Season.

Kelly done stuff all at VFL Level for a Few Years

Kelly’s been very solid and consistent this year playing wing. Works hard to get back to help out in defence then to provide an outlet on transition.

Kelly’s been very solid and consistent this year playing wing. Works hard to get back to help out in defence then to provide an outlet on transition.

Still pulls out of front on contests. He's certainly better than last year when he seemed to keep away from contested marking situations and was simply awful. I dont know the kid but he strikes me that he's playing footy because his old man drove him to junior footy.

As for Poults, I thought he was surprisingly good. Not sure what is meant by lack of presence and whatever that meant.

I did notice that his team-mates didnt celebrate his contributions. He lacked a little love. Maybe they dont know him or maybe he's a loner. There was a noticeable lack of hugging.

Still pulls out of front on contests. He's certainly better than last year when he seemed to keep away from contested marking situations and was simply awful. I dont know the kid but he strikes me that he's playing footy because his old man drove him to junior footy.
Fraser had a Go at Kelly for not putting his head over the ball vs Footscray at Werribee

As for Poults, I thought he was surprisingly good. Not sure what is meant by lack of presence and whatever that meant.

I did notice that his team-mates didnt celebrate his contributions. He lacked a little love. Maybe they dont know him or maybe he's a loner. There was a noticeable lack of hugging.

Yeah, I’m not advocating that Kelly should have been retained, or that he should be retained beyond this season. Just questioning some of the hyperbole directed at him. We know his limitations. Despite the limitations he’s been given 2x senior opportunities and played his role as a sub, just as he does at VFL level, can’t ask for more than that. Doubt Poulter would have got those senior opportunities if he was still with us with Kelly preferred because he’s a better mark and got better skills.

I thought Poulter struggled in his 2nd year with us. Was very poor defensively, struggled with his decision making, and his ball use was ordinary. I have no qualms with him being let go. The thing he has in his favor is that his deficiencies are elements that can improve. We’ve seen some improvement in his senior games at the Doggies so far but I think he’ll struggle to retain his senior spot as the year progresses on evidence to date. Good luck to him.

Last edited:
Poulter might be a Slow Burn bit like Josh Daicos was

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I’m not advocating that Kelly should have been retained, or that he should be retained beyond this season. Just questioning some of the hyperbole directed at him. We know his limitations. Despite the limitations he’s been given 2x senior opportunities and played his role as a sub, just as he does at VFL level, can’t ask for more than that. Doubt Poulter would have got those senior opportunities if he was still with us with Kelly preferred because he’s a better mark and got better skills.

I thought Poulter struggled in his 2nd year with us. Was very poor defensively, struggled with his decision making, and his ball use was ordinary. I have no qualms with him being let go. The thing he has in his favor is that his deficiencies are elements that can improve. We’ve seen some improvement in his senior games at the Doggies so far but I think he’ll struggle to retain his senior spot as the year progresses on evidence to date. Good luck to him.

kelly preferred because of dad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back