Autopsy Cats lose to Suns by 64 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

This sounds like you're saying Henry comes out of the forward structure in that scenario? Is that correct?
Would rotate between Neale and Rohan depending on match ups. Henry doesn't get dropped, kicks too many goals, plus means theres times we rest Ranga Ottens and put Neale in the ruck to give him a breather.

Or if Cameron is up the field have him take the "spot" of a winger, and have the forwards be Henry/Neale/Hawkins. There are plenty of ways to work it.

If we don't win the next 2 games, and somewhat comfortably, we aren't a genuine top 4 chance.
GWS looked putrid vs the Dogs, and the Tuggers are next level bad.
The Tuggers look like they saw our first quarter against Port and have said "pfft, amateurs, we can be that bad for 4 quarters."

Not sure if you watched the Channel 7 coverage of the game on Thursday night, but Joel Selwood said that Neale was very raw when he was recruited. He was basically an athlete who'd taken up footy quite late.

I think they thought of his first two years at the club as teaching him the game. So he's not like a normal fourth year player, more like a second year one.

And we haven't drafted a promising key forward with our first or second pick, so it's a moot point. If and when that happens, they'll deal with the situation.

Even promising key forwards can take 4+ years (e.g. Tom Hawkins). I'm not suggesting Neale will have anything like Hawk's career. He may or may not make it, but I don't they'll be giving up on him just yet.
Doesnt his contract expire at the end of next year??? Which was my reference to the point.

You cant just develop someone forever under the majak daw principle of raw and athletically promising.. There has to come and point you pull the pin.

Doesnt his contract expire at the end of next year??? Which was my reference to the point.

You cant just develop someone forever under the majak daw principle of raw and athletically promising.. There has to come and point you pull the pin.
Tom Hawkins started playing in 2007 and didn't show much until he had a breakout game in the 2011 grand final. He kicked 27 goals from 18 games that year. However he kicked 62 goals from 22 games in 2012. So Hawkins took the best part of 5 years to get going.
This year is Shannon Neale's 3rd year at Geelong. I think Neale is on the right trajectory.

Tom Hawkins started playing in 2007 and didn't show much until he had a breakout game in the 2011 grand final. He kicked 27 goals from 18 games that year. However he kicked 62 goals from 22 games in 2012. So Hawkins took the best part of 5 years to get going.
This year is Shannon Neale's 3rd year at Geelong. I think Neale is on the right trajectory.
It is his fourth season not third.

Hawkins showed alot prior to the GF in 2011, he was inconsistent but showed enormous talent. He also kicked 32 goals in his third year. Neale is currently in his fourth and despite kicking 2 goals on the weekend had a very poor game.

Hawkins showed alot prior to the GF in 2011, he was inconsistent but showed enormous talent. He also kicked 32 goals in his third year. Neale is currently in his fourth and despite kicking 2 goals on the weekend had a very poor game.
Fair enough. He'll get more games this year and a lot more next year as Hawkins will retire at the end of this year. We can reassess at the end of 2025. I think there is plenty of upside with Neale. His game on the weekend was no worse than half of his teammates and the conditions were challenging. I'd like to see him play again next week or the week after which are both at GMHBA.

Hopefully our future midfield consists of Conway, Holmes, Dempsey, Oisin, Bruhn and Jhye. Not sold on Bowes, he's pretty hit and miss.
Bowes has played some decent footy this year but that was a pathetic performance ftom him, just butchered the ball all night long was as if he was still playing for Gold Coast.

So I know its "just" the VFL, but Hardie had 28 disposals and 2 goals, Stevens had 27 disposals, Clark had 27 disposals and Mannagh had 19 disposals and 3 goals... Maybe, hear me out here, just maybe, we should try giving CGuthrie and O'Connor a breather and play Hardie/Mannagh or Hardie with Stevens as the sub.

Seems weird to not be reward good VFL form after 3 weeks of poor AFL form for some guys. Midfield is a concern, so instead of addressing it we just trot out the same line out for a 4th poor week in a row?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I know its "just" the VFL, but Hardie had 28 disposals and 2 goals, Stevens had 27 disposals, Clark had 27 disposals and Mannagh had 19 disposals and 3 goals... Maybe, hear me out here, just maybe, we should try giving CGuthrie and O'Connor a breather and play Hardie/Mannagh or Hardie with Stevens as the sub.

Seems weird to not be reward good VFL form after 3 weeks of poor AFL form for some guys. Midfield is a concern, so instead of addressing it we just trot out the same line out for a 4th poor week in a row?
I sort of agree and on current form I think we only need one of Atkins and Parfitt. Clark hasn't quite found his groove in the 1s but he is obviously worth pumping games into.

Cam Guthrie and Atkins with a bit of time in the magoos could get their mojo back if they dominate. Full games for Clark, and bringing Hardie into the fold for the next two weeks are moves I'd be keen on. As well as continuing to inject Holmes and Mullin into the midfield mix more. Let's see what those 4 can do, alongside Bruhn, Bowes and Parfitt (but he also needs to be put on notice). Use Blicavs as more of a relief ruckman for Conway, I reckon.

But fix it how? With who?

We obviously have Danger to come back in, which will help enormously, but he's only one man, and very prone to injury now.
Hopefully, with Cameron up + around the ground, MF will feed ball to him, or he'll snaffle it.

Miers' delivery was superb, only a couple missed the intended player.

We can't rely on Danger, every game. Duncan, maligned by some, has experience + plays a contributing role. Our MF has changed dramatically without Selwood. Blitz was out of form, juggling too much atm.

Putrid game, learn from it, nine days to recover from an exhausting game + focus on GWS.

We're relying on young players. Mullin should have more games. I think we must have patience while our young players develop. Really liked Conway + Neale (yeah, bite me {not you Cataholic} LOL).

Remember, we are 7 - 3. Still a good beginning.

I agree our options are limited given no mid year trades.

But at least put holmes to inside mid
moc or humphries in the backline if you need to facilitate that.
Mullin as your defensive mid.
Mannagh on the wing (or put mannagh inside 50 and miers on the wing if thats how they want it) as we need better ball use i50.
Get rid of guthrie until hes fit and put hardie in there.
That would be a start at least.
This Cataholic

Not for the first time this year, our "poor" midfield won the clearances, centre clearances, and contested ball.

It's what we do with it the clinches that is a problem, as well as what we don't do when the opposition has it.

Suns had far too much easy uncontested possession. The won the turnover game, which is how we normally try to win.
Once again, my theory: lose contested possession + we win, is proved correct

Suns
Geelong

:screamcat: :screamcat: :screamcat:

Wow! In this day and age
AFL Behavioural Awareness Officer

Provost said: Not just on Bigfooty, it's a throw back to the old term "Handbag Brigade", essentially saying they are soft as women.

I refer those 'handbaggers' users to Betty White's quote:
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak + sensitive. If you wanna be tough grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding."

Good post, i did say that. My expectations i thought were pretty reasonable of a fourth Year player.

A couple of goals 7-12 possesions a game.

To half time he had 1 possesion, 1 kick, 1 goal and if your into fantasy points 3 points.

Unsure about you, but that is pretty average.

The devils in the detail really.

Its what we call in physio the standard outcome measures then also the added eyeball test you apply to each scenario.
Surely you can see that the conditions of this game did not allow Neale to show anything?

I would have thought that being a physiotherapist would involve taking into consideration the context of the situation.

He grew up in the West. Would have spent a heap of time at least training in hot, humid conditions.
There is no humidity in Perth. Dry as a bone.

The heat in Perth is like an oven, the heat in Darwin is like a sauna. Could not be more different.

You have a fuzzy memory.

By round 10 of his fourth season Hawkins had played 53 games, and had been roundly criticised for not impacting games. By the middle of 2010 he was being played as a quasi ruckman to find ways to get him games.

By his fourth season, Hawkins was a whipping boy on this board and across the league.

Neale has had nowhere near the level of opportunity to play, we simply haven’t needed him. By round 10 of his fourth season he has played 7 games. If he played 24 games this season (the same number Hawkins had in his third season), I would be very confident to say he would get 34 goals (note - Hawkins kicked 34 goals not 32 goals in 2009, just sayin).

Hawkins was a generational talent, given every opportunity to play and it still took him until his sixth season to become a consistent quality key forward.

neale might be good, he might not be good, but right now we have no idea.

No, he didn't - and more to the point, he looked like he was going backwards over 2010-11 until the last couple of weeks of the H&A season.

Hawkins had a massive head start on Neale as well, being one of - if not the best - prospect in his draft year.

AFL Behavioural Awareness Officer

Provost said: Not just on Bigfooty, it's a throw back to the old term "Handbag Brigade", essentially saying they are soft as women.

I refer those 'handbaggers' users to Betty White's quote:
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak + sensitive. If you wanna be tough grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding."
Yeah, I know the inference, there was an hangover use of it in the 90s when I was a kid and I never understood it tbh because we were a pretty tough unit then.

It’s just such an antiquated term and shouldn’t fly anymore, even for the Neanderthals who are slow to catch up, I mean there’s a whole women’s league now!

Love the Betty White quote, what a legend

Remove this Banner Ad

Back