Preview Cats v Doggies Sat April 6th 810 pm @ AO - Gather Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The streamers from the party poppers will still be hanging from the Tomma 350th signs as we roll out ready for the short week to face the Doggies.

4 v 7 suggests a close match - us off a 5 day break and being 3-0 we are suddenly the hunted again.

Doggies have strong MF and will try to run us off our feet... and given it was bucketing down Monday the legs might be a bit short of a gallop by the time Sat night rolls around.

Expect some changes as its a long year and we will manage some players.

Reason suggests Conway, Jezza after rolling that ankle or Tomma if they manage and maybe Atkins out - with Mannagh, Stanley and Neale to come in.

Will be interesting to see how that all works out.

We have 5 days to get a breath and go again... will be interesting

GO Catters

Clark played more game time than the other mids so I'd expect him to be managed this week. Conway won't back up off a 5 day break.

So Stanley and Tuohy for Conway and Clark with Bowes playing a full game and someone else as sub. Maybe Parfitt, O'Connor or Dempsey.

Realistically we need something close to our best to get the job done this week so I'm not leaving out any senior players.

It's an interesting one re. our mids.

I think Hawthorn dominated us in the stoppages in the middle portion of the game, and WBD have a much better midfield than they do, so it's certainly an area of concern. But then individually I quite liked the games of Parfitt, Bruhn and Clark. And Duncan and Holmes were good as more outside players. Bowes added something late when coming on, so could be a smoky. But maybe we're just going to have to rely on our system and fwd/def until we get Danger and Guthrie back.

If we can come close to breaking even in the midfield, we should win this.

Early meat tray:
Out: Clark (managed) Hawkins (managed)
In: Mannagh (sub) Neale

A few players to be managed after slogging it out in the rain, plus an upcoming flight to Adelaide off a 5 day break. Conway definitely did enough to hold his spot, but good chance they plug Stanley back in to battle English.
I’d like to keep Clark in, he’s starting to find his feet more and more each game

What i would do

Out Hawkins rest, Clark Rest, Conway managed/rest

In Neale, Stanley , Tuohy

Conway may be able to play both games but i wouldn't risk it at this point in his development unless Stanley just isn't fit.

Same with Clark who hasn't played much footy in the last 18 months and will surely be managed throughout the year.

Then it becomes do we try and bring Mannagh in for maybe Mullin or Atkins if he was subbed due to injury instead of management.

Hawk doesn’t need a rest don’t recall him in the last line of defence too often. Jezza will be a watch but plays if fit. As mentioned it’s the system in midfield I’m sure the club has had one eye on this game. Huge chance to go 5-0 and set us up really well ahead of a tough middle of the season. My moneys on a respectable loss but will never discount us. Oh and our coach gives us a huge advantage IMO.

What was keeping Parfitt frozen out all this time? He's looked awesome this past 2 weeks. Just hungry?
Balance probably comes into it as well. Atkins is a very similar player, and Bruhn and Blicavs are pretty defensively minded as well. So there's been questions if we can fit them all in.

He certainly wasn't in great form last year either, but TBH his confidence probably took a hit after being dropped for finals in 2022. He got injured in the back half of that year and came back late but was actually in pretty good form heading into finals but then didn't get picked. Some players probably deal with that better than others.

I don't think he'll ever be a truly elite player, but the last couple of weeks have shown he is definitely AFL quality. He's a FA so if he doesn't consolidate his spot this year, someone will offer him a chance and he'd be pretty good depth

Hawk doesn’t need a rest don’t recall him in the last line of defence too often. Jezza will be a watch but plays if fit. As mentioned it’s the system in midfield I’m sure the club has had one eye on this game. Huge chance to go 5-0 and set us up really well ahead of a tough middle of the season. My moneys on a respectable loss but will never discount us. Oh and our coach gives us a huge advantage IMO.

Agree I wouldn't be resting Hawkins.

What's this Jezza ankle? I didn't notice anything at the ground.

1st Q I think. Went for a mark, came down and rolled it. Slow Mo replay on TV. Was on the ground clutching it.
All fine the rest of the game, but how it comes up after it cools down is the question.
Not sure if he was on the bike keeping it mobile during the lightning break or not, that may be an indication.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree I wouldn't be resting Hawkins.

He was a bit ginger on it early after a tackle i think and seemed to struggle a bit after that but hopefully has pulled up ok. Carried the big unit off so can’t be too bad. If either needs a break I’d hope it would be Neale in against Norf the following weekend.

Biggest handicap the dogs have is the bloke in charge so for that reason I am not too worried about this week, they may well get on top and roll us, but history shows somehow we can clamp their midfield when undermanned so there is every chance that happens again.
Bont is an absolute star though and could do anything, Weightman and JUH dangerous up forward, our forward line if we get enough supply should really worry them and we like the AO generally.
Best case 4-0 worst case 3-1... not a bad spot to be regardless

Biggest handicap the dogs have is the bloke in charge so for that reason I am not too worried about this week, they may well get on top and roll us, but history shows somehow we can clamp their midfield when undermanned so there is every chance that happens again.
Bont is an absolute star though and could do anything, Weightman and JUH dangerous up forward, our forward line if we get enough supply should really worry them and we like the AO generally.
Yea I am confident for this reason too. Scott has time and again been able to suck them into playing silly and wasting the footy all game then not defending us well enough on the rebound.

100% this is our biggest advantage.

With the names in their midfield coupled with our weakness in the area, they really should be able to exploit that. But Scott is a much better coach than Beveridge so I like our chances.

Clark played more game time than the other mids so I'd expect him to be managed this week. Conway won't back up off a 5 day break.

So Stanley and Tuohy for Conway and Clark with Bowes playing a full game and someone else as sub. Maybe Parfitt, O'Connor or Dempsey.

Realistically we need something close to our best to get the job done this week so I'm not leaving out any senior players.

Why do we need to manage kids? They’re young elite athletes. Conway is 20 years old off a full preseason… oh no a 5 day break cry me a river. Old man rant over.

Why do we need to manage kids? They’re young elite athletes. Conway is 20 years old off a full preseason… oh no a 5 day break cry me a river. Old man rant over.
Yep let's flog the young ruck who has spent most of his career so far in the medical room.

Look at Steven King's career. That's what happens to gun young rucks who are pushed too hard too early. 46 games before the age of 20. AA as a 21 year old. Then managed 2 full seasons in his next 10 and was completely cooked by his late 20s.

Yep let's flog the young ruck who has spent most of his career so far in the medical room.

Look at Steven King's career. That's what happens to gun young rucks who are pushed too hard too early. 46 games before the age of 20. AA as a 21 year old. Then managed 2 full seasons in his next 10 and was completely cooked by his late 20s.
So many of them. Michael Gardiner was another one; Hamish McIntosh is another.

Young key position players need to be absolutely wrapped in cotton wool; the extra weight and the collisions can really hurt a kid.

That's also one reason why young teams tend to flag toward the end of the season; just sore, and not enough preseasons to really build a footy-ready body.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back