Preview Cats v Doggies Sat April 6th 810 pm @ AO - Gather Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no indication Mullin is behind Tuohy.

They'll have been managed one game each after the weekend.
Tuohy was ‘managed’ while Mullin was ‘omitted.’

Still no idea what the difference is, but could he indication that he won’t necessarily come straight back in like Tuohy did. Although, there were instances last year where players were ‘managed’ and then played the vfl the next week.

You hope that doesn’t dent his confidence too much - after playing his best game v Hawks.
I wouldn't worry about it. I would play him in the midfield in the 2s for a couple of games and see what he gives you.

Getting dropped: bad
Getting an audition for a better role: good

Yeah I can't imagine match fitness would be high on the list of concerns this time of year.
I'm a bit sad to see Mannagh and also Mullin dropped from the side after only 2 games each.
In Mannagh's case I guess you can say that we have good availability in the role. Mullin I thought added something we're otherwise missing with Bews out down back.
But these are players who seem to me to be AFL ready in terms of their physical development and who I thought might just surprise us in their football development if the club gives them a good run of 6 or 7 games at least to feel comfortable at that level, just like what we saw with SDK in 2022.
I'm sure we'll see them come back in to the side at some point during the season, but it looks more likely it will be on a needs basis more than anything.

Mullin and Mannagh are going fine but they're not in our best team right now given our good availability. If you pick them this week you either leave out more promising youngsters (eg Dempsey or Clark) or players that are currently clearly better than them (eg Tuohy or Close) which would significantly hurt our chances. The dogs shouldn't be taken lightly and this is a must win game to make top 4.

I expect we'll see them both against North. And if we're 5-0 we're going to be more open to managing better players especially once Danger and Guthrie are back.

Totally agree. All VFL should be Sunday arvo so only the Sunday AFL emergency is affected or they play as curtain closures. Standalones can have Saturdays when they play each other.

That's really difficult to manage at the moment where you've VFL teams over 3 states, some of which are standalone clubs and some are AFL reserves sides.

Eventually we'll probably have a national AFL reserves comp, but until that happens i think it's a little unavoidable that we just have to deal with this to a certain extent.

I expect we'll see them both against North. And if we're 5-0 we're going to be more open to managing better players especially once Danger and Guthrie are back.
Yeah, exactly. As much as nobody admits to taking the foot off the gas a little against a weak side like Hawthorn, I don't think it's a coincidence that Tuohy is back for an away clash against Port.

Mullin and Mannagh are going fine but they're not in our best team right now given our good availability. If you pick them this week you either leave out more promising youngsters (eg Dempsey or Clark) or players that are currently clearly better than them (eg Tuohy or Close) which would significantly hurt our chances. The dogs shouldn't be taken lightly and this is a must win game to make top 4.

Keen to see players develop to their potential and to keep an open mind about what our best lineup looks like this year. It's hard to show what you've got in just two games and I don't think giving them some continuity at the level hurts our chances at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if him getting rubbed out for 8 weeks extends to game day coaching bans?

I had actually written something along that line before deleting 😂

Wouldn’t read too much into team selection from one week to the next.

Cats do it better than most. We’re 4 rounds in and blokes are already getting a rest. Stanley Tuohy Conway Mullin by design - Guthrie Bowes Rohan and Danger via injuries. Our coach is clear about most players not playing every week. It’s a “whole squad” approach and that helped in 22 but was exposed last year when we had a large injury list.

Aside from the ladder saying 3-0 and 100% win loss ratio …. I’d grade our first month as 100% for player management.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

O’Connor’s numbers are a bit low but I am happy with his form.

I am sure he has a pretty specific role in the team, that is a selfless role.

He has been really hard over the ball and is a mature body we need around the midfield.
Frankly, I have no idea how to measure his output. Because he doesn’t have the ball in hand much, and the era of man on man tagging is gone, it’s difficult to track his effect on a game for a regular spectator.

Ratugolea no longer available as a key defender for Geelong so Jack Henry is forced to play on a big forward. Even though Kolo is slightly bigger they prefer Henry for his closing speed. Henry struggled last week and will have a challenge on Naughton or Ugle-Hagan. O'Sullivan is the solution but we might not see him until later in the year, if they are willing to risk him. In the meantime the other backman need to help out with zoning off their players and double teaming to help out Jack H. The good thing about Naughton for us is he is terrible with set shots.

Ratugolea no longer available as a key defender for Geelong so Jack Henry is forced to play on a big forward. Even though Kolo is slightly bigger they prefer Henry for his closing speed. Henry struggled last week and will have a challenge on Naughton or Ugle-Hagan. O'Sullivan is the solution but we might not see him until later in the year, if they are willing to risk him. In the meantime the other backman need to help out with zoning off their players and double teaming to help out Jack H. The good thing about Naughton for us is he is terrible with set shots.

SDK owns Naughton

Frankly, I have no idea how to measure his output. Because he doesn’t have the ball in hand much, and the era of man on man tagging is gone, it’s difficult to track his effect on a game for a regular spectator.
On output I reckon O'Connor has overtaken Bews since and including 2022 and by the same token he himself has been upstaged by Zach Guthrie in the same time period down back,Mark being able to go through the midfield helps him and he's quit reliable and still best 22 but yet to make a position his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back