Preview Cats v Doggies Sat April 6th 810 pm @ AO - Gather Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conway barely played out the game and it was a 5 day break. Mullin a bit of a surprise though
IMO I think Conway management is more about his foot than fitness.
The issue seems to have cleared up and while getting him match fitness is important protecting the foot is more important.

Go Catters

This is a general question and my own take. Why do some players have the knack of tackng intercept marks? E.g. Tom Stewart, James Sicily. I think it is related to reading the situation and then superior tracking of the incoming ball. The final factor is the ability not to be distracted by other players and a laser like focus on the ball. These players do not let their eyes dart around and do not close their eyes at the last moment as a lot of others do.

I know it's not a fun thing, but at some point the VFL needs to accept that it is now the de facto reserves competition, and actually play VFL games with the same regularity as AFL games - and preferably lagging the AFL fixture where possible, to allow players the best chance of playing a game every weekend.

It's ridiculous that after four weeks of AFL, the VFL will have only played 2 games. That gives blokes like Mannagh - who was held over for Easter Monday - all of five quarters of footy in four weeks.

Players cannot keep match-fit off that, and players on the fringe can't have a decent case to stake a claim for AFL football.
Totally agree. All VFL should be Sunday arvo so only the Sunday AFL emergency is affected or they play as curtain closures. Standalones can have Saturdays when they play each other.

I know it's not a fun thing, but at some point the VFL needs to accept that it is now the de facto reserves competition, and actually play VFL games with the same regularity as AFL games - and preferably lagging the AFL fixture where possible, to allow players the best chance of playing a game every weekend.

It's ridiculous that after four weeks of AFL, the VFL will have only played 2 games. That gives blokes like Mannagh - who was held over for Easter Monday - all of five quarters of footy in four weeks.

Players cannot keep match-fit off that, and players on the fringe can't have a decent case to stake a claim for AFL football.
Mannagh playing so little football is entirely a product of Geelong’s decision making. If they’re worried about his match fitness play him in the VFL last week and use Tuohy as the carry over.

IMO I think Conway management is more about his foot than fitness.
The issue seems to have cleared up and while getting him match fitness is important protecting the foot is more important.

Go Catters
Both are important. Great we can pick his targets to an extent as well.

Mannagh playing so little football is entirely a product of Geelong’s decision making. If they’re worried about his match fitness play him in the VFL last week and use Tuohy as the carry over.
Yeah I can't imagine match fitness would be high on the list of concerns this time of year.
I'm a bit sad to see Mannagh and also Mullin dropped from the side after only 2 games each.
In Mannagh's case I guess you can say that we have good availability in the role. Mullin I thought added something we're otherwise missing with Bews out down back.
But these are players who seem to me to be AFL ready in terms of their physical development and who I thought might just surprise us in their football development if the club gives them a good run of 6 or 7 games at least to feel comfortable at that level, just like what we saw with SDK in 2022.
I'm sure we'll see them come back in to the side at some point during the season, but it looks more likely it will be on a needs basis more than anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I can't imagine match fitness would be high on the list of concerns this time of year.
I'm a bit sad to see Mannagh and also Mullin dropped from the side after only 2 games each.
In Mannagh's case I guess you can say that we have good availability in the role. Mullin I thought added something we're otherwise missing with Bews out down back.
But these are players who seem to me to be AFL ready in terms of their physical development and who I thought might just surprise us in their football development if the club gives them a good run of 6 or 7 games at least to feel comfortable at that level, just like what we saw with SDK in 2022.
I'm sure we'll see them come back in to the side at some point during the season, but it looks more likely it will be on a needs basis more than anything.
There's no indication Mullin is behind Tuohy.

They'll have been managed one game each after the weekend.

Mannagh will remain useful. He suits certain mixes of teams more than others right now. Dempsey will have weeks off and the veterans will be on a rotating wheel. Injuries and niggles will rack up. 8-10 full games minis injuries to the small forwards is probably on the cards.

Totally agree. All VFL should be Sunday arvo so only the Sunday AFL emergency is affected or they play as curtain closures. Standalones can have Saturdays when they play each other.
I think it's reasonable for them to have Saturday games to increase their exposure as a comp, but if they're restricted just to teams who are playing Friday night, or Saturday day in Victoria (so no need for a carryover) then it should be fine.

This is a general question and my own take. Why do some players have the knack of tackng intercept marks? E.g. Tom Stewart, James Sicily. I think it is related to reading the situation and then superior tracking of the incoming ball. The final factor is the ability not to be distracted by other players and a laser like focus on the ball. These players do not let their eyes dart around and do not close their eyes at the last moment as a lot of others do.
Aside from natural talent (things like great hand/eye coordination, footy smarts, etc), team defence tactics are usually set up to allow these players to take marks without needing to care for a direct opponent, so they can position themselves off the contest, in a fairly central position, and then fly for the ball without worrying about their man.

One of the things we did really well last week was send Henry to Sicily, and play through Henry as much as possible to make Sicily accountable.

Friday/ Saturday afl games can have saturday/Sunday vfl. Sunday afl games could have Monday night after work vfl games? Foxtel cup style from about a decade ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back