Preview Cats V North Sun April 14 1pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 -0

Not a soul here, nor any pundits, would have predicted us being here ..... but here we are ....... again lol.... and the eyes around the league are rolling back in their heads and we are here for all of it!!

North is an up and coming team loaded with Top 10 picks and years of them - the kind of things that will give SC and TPP nightmares in about 5 years time.

They just haven't put it all together yet but when they do, look out - and in regards to that id not be taking them lightly at all.

We might have some managed playerswith Tomma looking due for rest perhaps and Conway and Mannagh wanting back in.

Perhaps Touhy goes out as well.

No real injuries of note that we know about and all the kids are firing.

Clark got subbed out and AFAIK it was managed minutes more than anything else but if he needs a spell for a week there is no shortage of those looking in.

Clarko will try stuff and let them run.... we need to stiffle that and get them going the other way.
Be first at it and lower the eyes going into F50.... we got lazy in the Doggies game with that and it hurt us.

Be interesting to see the 23 for this one.

GO Catters

In - Conway
Out - Clark (Managed)

I would prefer to keep the Hawk in for an easy kill. People murmuring after one bad game. Let him kick 3-4 in his sleep to keep the pressure off and the confidence up. Wouldn't want to go goalless in a tough game in Adelaide, rested, then have a torrid time against Lions and the Blues. People would be going overboard at that point. While CS and the players say they don't play for milestones I can't see the Hawk wanting a rest until he passes the games record either. Tuohy clearly could have been managed a couple of times last year but it didn't happen with Stynes' record in his sights.

Rest a few blokes:
Tuohy, Hawkins, Stanley

Play:
Mullins, Mannagh, Conway

If we need to rest Stewart, then do it this week. Maybe bring another tall in like Neale.

I'd probably look to resting Clark after NM game and bring Dangerfield back then.

One thing to note, for the 4th week running, we have a milestone game pending team selection

Last night Rhys Stanley played game #199

Over the course of his 141 games in the hoops, he's definitely found himself in the whipping boy category more often than not - and at times it definitely hasn't been deserved

No doubt a frustrating player - he seems to get beaten by an unknown up & comer who's barely known outside of their own team, but have him face up against the reigning AA ruck and he finds another level

Drafted at pick 47 by St Kilda, traded for pick 21, he's a player who's arguably got the best out of himself across his 15 seasons on an AFL list

We'll find out Thursday night if the milestone will be this week or maybe delayed by a couple of rounds as we blood young Conway - but regardless of when it is, it'll be a well earned milestone for Stanley

Then maybe Stewart and Hawkins. Huge outs, but inclined to rest a few this game at least.
Hawkins and Blitz? Blitz can enjoy his 250 this week and rest up for Brisbane. Hawk needs a break I reckon.

That means can play both Stanley for 200 at home and Toby. And Neale just for fun!

In: Neale, Mullin, Mannagh

Out: Hawkins (rest), Clark (rest), Touhy (omitted)

Rest Hawk while we can, with a huge block of games coming up. Get Neale a go against some spuds to get his confidence up at the level.

Really like what Clark's shown, but he looks sore. Lacking that burst away from stoppages that he had in the pre-season/juniors.

Love Reg, but it's closing in on being time. Game just looks a little too quick for him now.

Will still play a role here and there, but feels like he's in the Higgins, Dasher, Dalhaus, Menegola territory now.

I suspect some players will get a rest, but as a fan, I also want to see the best players on the field when we're playing a home game at Kardinia Park. That's why we go to the games, right? To see our stars doing their thing. However, given we play Brisbane in Brisbane the following week, resting some veterans for this game would be prudent. Hawkins, Duncan, Tuohy, and Stanley would seem likely. Play Paddy only if he's 100% fit.

Then again, Stanley might play this week, given it is his 200th game, and that's always better done at home.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what i would like to see

Other option would be Out Hawkins rest , Clark rest , Blics rest

In Conway, Neale , Mannagh/Knevitt
Personally, I think the days of the two ruckman setup are dodo’d.

Neither Conway nor Stanley really have a second position. I don’t think you can play both of them at the same time.

Personally, I think the days of the two ruckman setup are dodo’d.

Neither Conway nor Stanley really have a second position. I don’t think you can play both of them at the same time.
I think that as well but i don't think they want Conway taking the whole game himself atm and i would love to give Blics a rest.

So unless we play 2 rucks we need 1 of the following to help out

SDK no thanks
Neale isn't a ruck but i suppose he could chop out
Henry No thanks
Cameron **** no

I think that as well but i don't think they want Conway taking the whole game himself atm and i would love to give Blics a rest.

So unless we play 2 rucks we need 1 of the following to help out

SDK no thanks
Neale isn't a ruck but i suppose he could chop out
Henry No thanks
Cameron * no
Neale plays relief ruck and so does SDK.

Neale plays relief ruck and so does SDK.
This is what i think they will do and i hate it

If they bring in Neale i want them to give him a role to play and just let him do that

Tell him to play FF and make as many contests as possible while making sure he gets up the wing as an outlet. I find younger players build confidence more when they are given a defined role that isn't to complicated.
Last thing we need to do is bring Neale in and go ok you are playing FF but we need you to play ruck we also need you to be an outlet etc

And i have never liked the idea of SDK rucking he is our number 1 tall for the next decade don't risk him doing that.

But i can see why the MC will do what you suggest i just don't like it

You can against North at KP and I expect it will happen.
I think if we play Neale Conway and Stanley you let Conway be the number 1 ruck Stanley to play as a CHF who takes the forward ruck set up and gives Conway a breather when needed and just tell Neale to play as a FF and outlet make it nice and simple for him and see how he does.

As for Cameron just let him be Cameron and do whatever he wants/thinks is best

I think if we play Neale Conway and Stanley you let Conway be the number 1 ruck Stanley to play as a CHF who takes the forward ruck set up and gives Conway a breather when needed and just tell Neale to play as a FF and outlet make it nice and simple for him and see how he does.

As for Cameron just let him be Cameron and do whatever he wants/thinks is best

I don't think Neale has done enough to play. Conway 60% ruck, Stanley 40% ruck and 20% forward. Otherwise rotate through the bench and Conway gets subbed off in the last.

I don't think Neale has done enough to play. Conway 60% ruck, Stanley 40% ruck and 20% forward. Otherwise rotate through the bench and Conway gets subbed off in the last.
We need to give him games eventually to see if he can be a forward at AFL level.
He is ok at VFL especially considering how shit his supply is

This is what i think they will do and i hate it

If they bring in Neale i want them to give him a role to play and just let him do that

Tell him to play FF and make as many contests as possible while making sure he gets up the wing as an outlet. I find younger players build confidence more when they are given a defined role that isn't to complicated.
Last thing we need to do is bring Neale in and go ok you are playing FF but we need you to play ruck we also need you to be an outlet etc

And i have never liked the idea of SDK rucking he is our number 1 tall for the next decade don't risk him doing that.

But i can see why the MC will do what you suggest i just don't like it
I like it for Neale in particular. Being a young tall forward can be really isolating; just having a spell where he can get up around the footy can help.

In terms of player longevity - 20 years ago I would have agreed, but not now that they have limited the run ups and you don’t see the wear and tear you once did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back