Preview Changes and Preview Brisbane vs Ports @ Gabba, qualifying final thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
[RANT TIME]There's no denying the government has repeatedly mismanaged Qantas (at the very least, government cash should have been for a stake in the Airline), but lack of high speed rail in Australia is more about lack of population density. It really would only work as Brisbane - Sydney - Canberra (this one a maybe) - Melbourne. With half the problem, of every time it's proposed, everyone outside those cities wanting their town/rural city to be a stop. Which besides adding length to it, means all that time slowing down, loading/unloading passengers, speeding up again. At which point on average it isn't that fast.

A dedicated line hitting only those 3 (4) cities might work, if a fast enough train (average speed 250kph), then it could work. Infrastructure setup for fast loading / unloading (15 minute from pull in to depart), then Melbourne - Canberra in less than 3 hours, another 1.5hr to Sydney and then 4 hr to Brisbane. With runs either the full length, or various sections. You wouldn't replace all business travel (although run a 6am departure out of Sydney or Melbourne to the other and it'd replace the red eye flights for many), but non-business it'd cover almost as well, when you factor in how much time is wasted at airports. And if it happens to pass within 20-30km of Albury, Newcastle, etc. then stiff s**t for them, they aren't getting a stop. Politicians (more Coalition, but ALP has been guilty of as well), is not being willing to say those outside the big 3 (4) Eastern seaboard cities will just have to miss out, for the good of the country.

In Japan, the distance between Tokyo (population 37 million) and Osaka (population 19 million) is 500 km. In between those two cities you have Yokohama (4 million), Odawara (200,000), Atami (40,000), Mishima (110,000), Fuji (245,000), Shizuoka (695,000), Kakegawa (115,000), Hamamatsu (810,000), Toyohashi (370,000), Anjo (180,000), Nagoya (9.5 million), Gifu (415,000), Maibara (40,000) and Kyoto (1.5 million).

In other words, there are 19.255 million between that are serviced between a population centre of 37 million and a population centre of 19 million. Sure, there are Nozomi trains that bypass all the smaller stations and only stop at Kyoto and Nagoya. But you NEED stations at places like Newcastle and Albury to actually make it viable.

It's why fast rail in Australia or the United States is a pipe dream.

In Japan, the distance between Tokyo (population 37 million) and Osaka (population 19 million) is 500 km. In between those two cities you have Yokohama (4 million), Odawara (200,000), Atami (40,000), Mishima (110,000), Fuji (245,000), Shizuoka (695,000), Kakegawa (115,000), Hamamatsu (810,000), Toyohashi (370,000), Anjo (180,000), Nagoya (9.5 million), Gifu (415,000), Maibara (40,000) and Kyoto (1.5 million).

In other words, there are 19.255 million between that are serviced between a population centre of 37 million and a population centre of 19 million. Sure, there are Nozomi trains that bypass all the smaller stations and only stop at Kyoto and Nagoya. But you NEED stations at places like Newcastle and Albury to actually make it viable.

tl;dr

It's a population density problem.

I live in Japan.

Last game I attended live was Rd. 22 2002, the Roger James goal at the end.

Good omens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is where Very Fast Train could be of most benefit really in encouraging people to live outside of the major cities. I mean it’s a lot more appealing to live in Albury Wodonga if you can get to Melbourne in an hour and Sydney in two.

Sure you could have an express that bypasses them but it would be very shortsighted to leave them out altogether. As time goes on and town populations increase they may even end up being the main users of the service.

And we can't forget that 500ks gets you halfway to Sydney. And that's it.

It's not just population density, it's distance. 1000km of train track for just the first stop.

I don’t subscribe to the theory that there is no pressure on us. There is a huge amount of pressure, but maybe a tad more on Brisbane as they are the favourites.

But both sides since that 2004 GF have experienced repeated failures in finals and have plenty of pressure on them to finally breakthrough to the big dance and ultimately another premiership after 19 and 20 years in the wilderness.

It’s a QF so it’s not do or die, but a win definitely makes the road to the GF easier. So you can’t deny the pressure is not there just because the venue the game is played at has the lions as favourites.

As a supporter base, we are one of the most passionate but we are so starved of success that we are incredibly frustrated and impatient. A lot say they don’t care, maybe it’s part of their coping mechanism in case things turn to shit again. But deep down we are all hungry for this, I’ve got expectations so I’m hoping the players do to and are embracing the pressure and are ready to go full pelt next Saturday night.

Interestingly, the odds are very similar to that historic day in September 2004. We are the $2.75 underdogs or thereabouts, and just like that day I like to think we are a better chance than the betting markets seem to think. We were the better team in 2004 and I think we are the better team this year too, the venue makes it harder but I still think we can get this done.

Why can’t this year be our time. Let’s flipping do this.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Please refrain from posting about AFL in the Japanese high speed rail thread.
Train journeys and Preview Bullet Train vs Alan Joyce swoopy birb cwompany @ Australia, the official what happen Albanese (to 26,268,359) high speed rail thread.

#sackjoyce
#sackhinkley too

The pre-finals bye is Gill's knee jerk reaction to Fremantle resting some players once. Completely unnecessary.
I made a tidy profit on Port by 40+ in that game before the bookies realised what was going to happen at team selection. Big thanks to Ross the Boss.

The pre-finals bye is Gill's knee jerk reaction to Fremantle resting some players once. Completely unnecessary.
If there has to be a bye, make it before the grand final, but we'd need a concussion to a big Victorian player to happen in the prelim and to miss the granny because of it for the AFL to ever consider it an issue.

If there has to be a bye ....
There doesn't have to be a pre-finals bye. Things were just fine prior to 2016.

The bye takes away some of the advantage gained by finishing top four. Not only did those teams get a double chance but they potentially could have a week off when other teams in the finals had to play. It also means that teams winning their Qualifying Final get too many breaks and can lose momentum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back