Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No surprises here, but I'd have Brain, Sharp, Reville and Morris in the team.

FB: Conor McKenna, Jack Payne, Ryan Lester

HB: Darcy Wilmot, Harris Andrews, Dayne Zorko

C: Harry Sharp, Hugh McCluggage, Jaspa Fletcher

HF: Charlie Cameron, Eric Hipwood, Cam Rayner

FF: Logan Morris, Joe Daniher, Kai Lohmann

FOLL: Oscar McInerney, Josh Dunkley, Lachie Neale

I/C: Jarrod Berry, Bruce Reville, Shadeau Brain, Henry Smith.

Emergency: Jarryd Lyons.

And I am really struggling to come up with a fourth on the bench.

In terms of reserves performances, I'd say Henry Smith deserves the spot, but I can't see the coaches going that way. I don't believe Prior's or Tunstill's recent performances warrant selection. And I don't want to bring Ah Chee back in straight away. I can see the coaches going for Lyons, because that's just too many young and inexperienced players in the team.

Also on the Midweek Tackle they said in light of all our recent ACLs that they are now taking an ultra conservative approach to Will and that we won’t be seeing him anytime before the 12 month mark. They did say apparently Will is tracking along beautifully but it’s unlikely we’ll see him before round 17-18.

I'm glad. Nothing to be gained this season, so much to lose next.

And as bad as this is, better now than round 20.

Will be a big welcome back pre season.

I’m not sure there’s nothing to be gained this season. Honestly, our defense is elite but our attack is what has us outside the window. However, remember what our attack can do and if it clicks in the next couple of weeks, even with all the outs, we could easily put ourselves in the window again pretty quickly.

Also on the Midweek Tackle they said in light of all our recent ACLs that they are now taking an ultra conservative approach to Will and that we won’t be seeing him anytime before the 12 month mark. They did say apparently Will is tracking along beautifully but it’s unlikely we’ll see him before round 17-18.
It'll be interesting to see what they do if it gets to that late in the season and we are out of the running by then. Is it worth it mentally for him, if nothing else to give him a few games at the end of the season? I'm sure he would want to play, although looking at the bigger picture here, would the smarter option in that scenario be to just have him cherry ripe to go day 1 of preseason. Could be an interesting decision later in the year.

In terms of reserves performances, I'd say Henry Smith deserves the spot, but I can't see the coaches going that way. I don't believe Prior's or Tunstill's recent performances warrant selection. And I don't want to bring Ah Chee back in straight away. I can see the coaches going for Lyons, because that's just too many young and inexperienced players in the team.
Great minds, same as mine except Tunstill for Smith and Prior as the Sub.

Our marking down the line hasn’t been good this year and Darcy out makes that more challenging again, wonder if they will play Smith this week for some more arial presence (is he a good mark?). We will definitely need Oscar up forward more now as well you’d imagine
I would describe him as ok and improving. Still doesn’t appear to have a lot of upper body strength. An AFL level player would generally negate him I think.
I would like to see him get a couple of games this year but not sure it’s the time with so many other inexperienced players in the side.
Didn’t play last Sunday due to “eye injury”? Not on the injured list.

It'll be interesting to see what they do if it gets to that late in the season and we are out of the running by then. Is it worth it mentally for him, if nothing else to give him a few games at the end of the season? I'm sure he would want to play, although looking at the bigger picture here, would the smarter option in that scenario be to just have him cherry ripe to go day 1 of preseason. Could be an interesting decision later in the year.
Basically give him confidence in his body in match situations again, he'll be back. Cherry ripe round 1 is more than half a year after that.

Anyone else excited about the opportunities this will bring the youngsters? I know the injuries suck but hopefully we can see what some players have got. Lohmann should keep his spot all year. Wouldn't mind seeing Ryan (not exactly young) in for Gardiner. Morris should go well if given a shot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is why i think Lyons playing McCarthy's role only not being a midfielder will work.
That is less of a risk than bringing in Brain & Smith on top of retaining Reville, Morris and Sharp

That last spot is getting hard. It is why i had ??? on my team selection
If Ah Chee plays, then he slots in.
If he is given another week i think they go two rucks (rest forward at times) and i think it may be Fort over Smith.
The main reason is experience and it will be needed v Crows in Adelaide.
Smith will get his chance when we get some more experienced bodies on the park

A bit of a head scratcher but we are 7th (up 2 spots) on this list of power rankings.

7. BRISBANE LIONS (3-5, 100.3%)

Last week:
Ranked 9th, def Gold Coast by 34 pts

Glass half full? They claimed a must-win game over the Suns despite the horrible injuries. Glass half empty? The horrible injuries. With five players currently sidelined with ACL tears it’s safe to say this just isn’t Brisbane’s year - after quite a few years of injury luck, where everyone talked about how good their medical staff was, they’ve come crashing back to earth all at once. It’s going to keep them from contending for the flag in 2024, because they’re not gonna win four finals especially if three or four are road games, but this can be the reset year ahead of a Geelong-like bounce-back in 2025. And hey, maybe if they pinch tricky road games like this Sunday against the Crows, they could get a home final and even go deeper into September than we’re expecting. They’re still a good footy team, that much is clear.

This week: Adelaide at Adelaide Oval, Sunday 4pm

This is why i think Lyons playing McCarthy's role only not being a midfielder will work.
That is less of a risk than bringing in Brain & Smith on top of retaining Reville, Morris and Sharp

That last spot is getting hard. It is why i had ??? on my team selection
If Ah Chee plays, then he slots in.
If he is given another week i think they go two rucks (rest forward at times) and i think it may be Fort over Smith.
The main reason is experience and it will be needed v Crows in Adelaide.
Smith will get his chance when we get some more experienced bodies on the park
Personally I would prefer to roll Rayner more permanently forward to replace Linc, we then push Berry more inside as we did against the Suns and replace Berry time on the the wing, more than trying to replace Linc specifically.
Fletcher, Sharp and Reville on the wings with Bez as support when not inside.
Reville can also roll forward and Fletcher roll back at times.
Try Morris for a couple of weeks in replace of Gardiner and see if it works.

Lyons did alright at the end of the game against Southport, kicked two goals when moved forward. Has also had 6 and 13 tackles in the past two games. Way too slow to play in the middle of the ground though.
Way too slow to play as a forward as well, he would be disastrous re our ability to apply pressure in our F50.

A bit of a head scratcher but we are 7th (up 2 spots) on this list of power rankings.

Last week:

Glass half full? They claimed a must-win game over the Suns despite the horrible injuries. Glass half empty? The horrible injuries. With five players currently sidelined with ACL tears it’s safe to say this just isn’t Brisbane’s year - after quite a few years of injury luck, where everyone talked about how good their medical staff was, they’ve come crashing back to earth all at once. It’s going to keep them from contending for the flag in 2024, because they’re not gonna win four finals especially if three or four are road games, but this can be the reset year ahead of a Geelong-like bounce-back in 2025. And hey, maybe if they pinch tricky road games like this Sunday against the Crows, they could get a home final and even go deeper into September than we’re expecting. They’re still a good footy team, that much is clear.

We'll confuse everyone if we get few more wins after all the ACLs.

We've gone from "surely they'll be back with all the experience" to "surely they'll fall way now with all the injuries and inexperience". It'll be fun to buck the trend and keep everyone guessing.

We'll confuse everyone if we get few more wins after all the ACLs.

We've gone from "surely they'll be back with all the experience" to "surely they'll fall way now with all the injuries and inexperience". It'll be fun to buck the trend and keep everyone guessing.
This Sunday's game is the biggest/hardest one of the 3 before the bye, then we take on the Tigers at the Gabba and Hawks at Marvel, we should win both of those.

Win/loss of 6-5 at the bye would be a terrific result considering the way the season started.

I fully expect Lyons to come in. At some stage we need to start managing Lachie a bit better and we don't have anyone else in the VFL that can play that role. It just sucks that some of his numbers have fallen off at AFL level this year.

Way too slow to play as a forward as well, he would be disastrous re our ability to apply pressure in our F50.
I don't bother with the research others here go through, but IIRC many of the posters here were very negative about Zorko a while ago. Very negative. Not so.much now. Greg Williams (remember him) wasn't renowned for his speed. Got the pill a fair but though.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Last week:

Thanks for posting. The other thing to note is we have played 6 of the top 8 rated teams. We are 7th and we haven’t played Sydney ranked first.

On the down side, there is no mention that we are unlikely to come up against s side that played as poorly as the Suns did on Sunday night.

I don't bother with the research others here go through, but IIRC many of the posters here were very negative about Zorko a while ago. Very negative. Not so.much now. Greg Williams (remember him) wasn't renowned for his speed. Got the pill a fair but though.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Purely talking about Jarryd Lyons ability to get up and down the ground on transition, he is way too slow, it is all over ground defence now, if 1 or 2 can not do it the whole system breaks down.

All respect to Jarryd but he is not in Diesel's class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back