Remove this Banner Ad

Who goes to Buddy, McLean, and Heeney?

On paper I would have thought it would be

Keath -> Buddy

Gardner -> McLean

Richards -> Heeney

But tbh I have nfi
I'd assume so too, but I'm not at all confident about that last matchup :$

You know the worst thing? I think we'll win - and that's how I know I've lost or am losing faith in Bev.

It sounds backwards, but the reason I think we'll win is that this is the same pattern as always. We play like absolute shit, demonstrating glaring structural and tactical issues, causing everybody to demand changes. Then Bev makes no changes, alluding to needing to "back the boys in" and backing them to not make the same errors they did last week. Bonus points if he refers to our defenders being much better this week if they get more pressure up the ground (yay bonus points this week!!!).

Then - we win. We play well. The boys respond to the vote of confidence and play with a spring in their step, demonstrating the way Bev wants us to play. Nevermind that it's unsustainable, this justifies and reinforces the decision to stick fat.

It lasts a week, maybe three - then all of a sudden the unsustainable level drops and once again we're left getting ****ed out of the centre, or not being able to mark a ball, or not defending transition, or our KPDs not being able to stay within 20 metres of a leading opponent.

Yep, this is all incredibly pessimistic. Warranted? Maybe not. I'm just so frustrated by our unwillingness to budge on structural deficiencies when we know from history that they always come back to bite us in the arse. I want some foresight and some considered attempts to rectify what's happening - consistently - on the field. I'm over the good vibes being a solution.

You know the worst thing? I think we'll win - and that's how I know I've lost or am losing faith in Bev.

It sounds backwards, but the reason I think we'll win is that this is the same pattern as always. We play like absolute shit, demonstrating glaring structural and tactical issues, causing everybody to demand changes. Then Bev makes no changes, alluding to needing to "back the boys in" and backing them to not make the same errors they did last week. Bonus points if he refers to our defenders being much better this week if they get more pressure up the ground (yay bonus points this week!!!).

Then - we win. We play well. The boys respond to the vote of confidence and play with a spring in their step, demonstrating the way Bev wants us to play. Nevermind that it's unsustainable, this justifies and reinforces the decision to stick fat.

It lasts a week, maybe three - then all of a sudden the unsustainable level drops and once again we're left getting f’ed out of the centre, or not being able to mark a ball, or not defending transition, or our KPDs not being able to stay within 20 metres of a leading opponent.

Yep, this is all incredibly pessimistic. Warranted? Maybe not. I'm just so frustrated by our unwillingness to budge on structural deficiencies when we know from history that they always come back to bite us in the arse. I want some foresight and some considered attempts to rectify what's happening - consistently - on the field. I'm over the good vibes being a solution.

When our midfield dominate, like in the Port final, our deficiencies get covered over and everybody thinks everything is ok again.

Guys like Schache, Cordy and Van der Meer look competitive in these games.

When things get tough in an arm wrestle, their deficiencies get exposed.

When we don’t dominate in the middle, we actually need a competitive second ruck and a competent second KPD. We saw that in rounds 21-23 last year when some improving teams took it right up to us.

Btw- what is wrong with selecting Mitch Wallis? Won our goal kicking two years ago and hardly ever loses a one on one. Would get a game at a lot of other clubs easily.

Williams for sub I think.
I doubt it. That’s one sure fire way in losing a player and his confidence. It’s fine to drop him but you must let him play VFL to regain his form and work on what he needs to. VFL plays before the AFL tonight.

He was the sub last week and got a half of game time. Williams needs a full game somewhere to get back into the team.

It lasts a week, maybe three - then all of a sudden the unsustainable level drops and once again we're left getting f’ed out of the centre, or not being able to mark a ball, or not defending transition, or our KPDs not being able to stay within 20 metres of a leading opponent.

I'm just glad I'm not the only one losing faith in Beveridge. I think I'm losing it faster than most other people though.

He's had 8 years to provide oversight in building our list and it's full of holes. Normally this isn't fully on the coaches head, but it's well known he runs the whole club.

The most puzzling thing for me is his selections. We signed Jackson Trengove on a decent deal as a FA and barely play him. He had his deficiencies but he was solid when he played. Hell I'd have him back in a heartbeat for tonight's match.

Hanging on to players with low ceilings.

Not playing Will Minson (reportedly behind the scenes issues but for arguments sake).

Ignoring our ruck issues.

I'm just glad I'm not the only one losing faith in Beveridge. I think I'm losing it faster than most other people though.

He's had 8 years to provide oversight in building our list and it's full of holes. Normally this isn't fully on the coaches head, but it's well known he runs the whole club.

The most puzzling thing for me is his selections. We signed Jackson Trengove on a decent deal as a FA and barely play him. He had his deficiencies but he was solid when he played. Hell I'd have him back in a heartbeat for tonight's match.

Hanging on to players with low ceilings.

Not playing Will Minson (reportedly behind the scenes issues but for arguments sake).

Ignoring our ruck issues.

We signed Trengove whilst we had Roughead, both decent defenders and didn’t play either.

In fact both were decent back up rucks another position we have no cover.

Anyone care to explain?

For a coach who spruiks versatility as a necessary attribute for his players Bevo doesn't demonstrate too much versatility in his match day performances (other than the narratives he uses to motivate his players). This makes us easier to plan for. Once one oppo coach cracks the code and finds a way to counter our strengths (eg midfield dominance, high press, fast ball movement, Daniel playing the Quarterback) it opens the doors for other coaches to follow suit. That's not to say that Bevo hasn't made any changes over the years but he tends to find a recipe and stick with it. Once in a while it would be good to spring some surprises to keep oppo coaches guessing and perhaps to confuse the oppo players when they run out with the "how to beat the Bulldogs" formula firmly fixed in their heads.

Agree with VogonP that we have a few C graders (like most sides do) who are mostly covered up by having stronger players around them and by playing a limited role within our game plan (eg zone defenders). Cordy has made a career of it and well done to him. However they have mostly shown an inability to step up to a higher level when the situation requires it. To their credit Cordy and Schache have been able to adapt to different roles at times (Forward, Defence, Ruck) but they have only just held their own and never dominated.

Another problem this year seems to be that perhaps only Richards and Treloar have been the improvers. We haven't brought anyone new in yet. Meanwhile other players have gone backwards if anything, like Williams, Schache, Weightman, Libba, etc. Maybe Bont too. It's early days yet and there might be good reasons (eg niggling injuries or Covid recovery) but the clubs who are doing well early in 2022 have got new players in and their established players finding new levels.

Can't wait to see if players like Jones, Darcy, O'Brien, Raak, Khamis and McComb can do that for us. I hope they all show enough VFL form to demand their chance.

The most puzzling thing for me is his selections. We signed Jackson Trengove on a decent deal as a FA and barely play him.
He played 16 games in each of his first two years, it was his final year where he only got one opportunity. He was only played back after the initial plan of playing him as a ruck/forward didn't pan out.

I do think we should have chased Lynch or Strachan last year (and plenty of others discussed Meek too), but by all accounts we did chase Soldo and Ceglar last year, and we chased Stef Martin prior to his last contract with the Lions (and were reportedly very close to getting that signature). We have actually attempted to address the ruck issue.

Bevo sets a pretty high threshold for rucks it seems. I really think you can trade in a competent ruck most years if you search hard enough.

I was pretty keen to sign Sam Skinner too - he's playing this weekend for Port so will be interesting to see how he goes.

Another problem this year seems to be that perhaps only Richards and Treloar have been the improvers.
English has taken a step forward, and Baz having 11 tackles in round 1 means he is hopefully a more rounded player (more sample size needed).

Hunter is the biggest concern. Formally our best runner and "on field coach", he dropped in the pecking order to fringe status and I just don't think he can play the high forward role well. He's either on the wing or in the VFL for mine. Another pre-season under Arty's belt and next year could see a changing of the guard.

He played 16 games in each of his first two years, it was his final year where he only got one opportunity. He was only played back after the initial plan of playing him as a ruck/forward didn't pan out.

I do think we should have chased Lynch or Strachan last year (and plenty of others discussed Meek too), but by all accounts we did chase Soldo and Ceglar last year, and we chased Stef Martin prior to his last contract with the Lions (and were reportedly very close to getting that signature). We have actually attempted to address the ruck issue.

Bevo sets a pretty high threshold for rucks it seems. I really think you can trade in a competent ruck most years if you search hard enough.
I was pretty keen to sign Sam Skinner too - he's playing this weekend for Port so will be interesting to see how he goes.
Wow, I'm really surprised to hear Trengove played that many games for us in his first two years.

Shows how fickle we (me) can be when we're frustrated.

Wow, I'm really surprised to hear Trengove played that many games for us in his first two years.

Shows how fickle we (me) can be when we're frustrated.
The thing is, I liked Trengove but he gave us nothing that Roughy wasn't already doing.

We did subsequently bring in Gardner, Keath and TOB so I don't think Bevo/Power are actively ignoring the back half of the ground either. We also signed Suckling and Duryea as medium/smalls (and Crozier ended up there after being traded in as a forward).

If we get smashed in the ruck again then some accountability needs to be had. Yeah stef is out from covid but really we need another option.

Particularly with the number of times our lack of a genuine ruck has cost us critical games.

We cant just rely on our midfield superstars to get the job done every single time. Half of them are banged up, injury prone and probably just tired from carrying the teams fortunes on their shoulders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incredibly slow, both in terms of speed, mobility and to make decisions. His ability to quickly dispose of the ball was almost non-existent in the parts I saw.

It could have been just nerves - not sure if first game or just first game for a very long time - but he looked well off the pace for most of the game last week.

If our rucks get out-rucked then what the ruck are u doing Bevo? Get another rucking ruck, for ruck's sake. Sick of getting beaten because our opponents have more rucks to outruck our only ruck. How the ruck is our ruck supposed to single-handedly ruck their rucks? That makes no rucking sense. Wake the ruck up Bev u clown

If our rucks get out-rucked then what the ruck are u doing Bevo? Get another rucking ruck, for ruck's sake. Sick of getting beaten because our opponents have more rucks to outruck our only ruck. How the ruck is our ruck supposed to single-handedly ruck their rucks? That makes no rucking sense. Wake the ruck up Bev u clown
Please go back to posting seriously some of the time! I miss not knowing whether what I’m going to read is brilliantly insightful or a classic shitpost

I would like to see a 2nd Ruckmen if not only to free-up the pinch-hits so can play in their normal positions
We could also try more mid-size players and not so many short ones
Most favored third option, let’s do nothing

Sweet will have the ruck all to himself in tonight's VFL game. I've no idea who the opposition rucks will be, but if he can't give a very good account of himself in this game, then we would have to think he is a spent force on our list.

I would like to see Cordy and Gardner in pure shut down roles and let Keath play loose to intercept mark.

They will get beaten by their man but if Keath is floating around the oppo will at least be forced to alter their attack away from him.

TBF Bevo must have heard the ruckus. He was going to pick Stef Martin tonight but those plans have been rucked up by covid iso protocols.

I would like to see Cordy and Gardner in pure shut down roles and let Keath play loose to intercept mark.

They will get beaten by their man but if Keath is floating around the oppo will at least be forced to alter their attack away from him.

I actually think Gardner could be the best intercept mark in the comp if we let him play as the loose defender. The problem is that he's so damn good at spoiling, it would be hard to take him away from his natural role. If only we had two of him!

I actually think Gardner could be the best intercept mark in the comp if we let him play as the loose defender. The problem is that he's so damn good at spoiling, it would be hard to take him away from his natural role. If only we had two of him!
Gardner took an intercept contested mark last week. I was genuinely shocked because it was probably the first of his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back