Changes vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Buss has been working with AJ on his contested aerial stuff heavily recently. The actual gritty 1v1 defensive elements of the game. They still need improving but he’s showing genuine growth recently and was very close to selection this week.

Hard to put 2 junior members of the backline in at the same time. Keath was the right choice this week, being much more adept at the contest but if Buss continues then expect him in the side in about 2-3 weeks.

Buss has been working with AJ on his contested aerial stuff heavily recently. The actual gritty 1v1 defensive elements of the game. They still need improving but he’s showing genuine growth recently and was very close to selection this week.

Hard to put 2 junior members of the backline in at the same time. Keath was the right choice this week, being much more adept at the contest but if Buss continues then expect him in the side in about 2-3 weeks.
Do you have any insight on whether they see him more as a genuine KPD or interceptor long-term?

Do you have any insight on whether they see him more as a genuine KPD or interceptor long-term?
KPD mate. But they rate his ability to read the game so highly so want to make sure he has the balance right. He’s very vocal with the young guys too which I think surprised a number of the staff. Genuine leader

KPD mate. But they rate his ability to read the game so highly so want to make sure he has the balance right. He’s very vocal with the young guys too which I think surprised a number of the staff. Genuine leader
Does he have a contract in front of him? Because most draftees teams want to keep from that year are signed

Does he have a contract in front of him? Because most draftees teams want to keep from that year are signed
There's so much to go for the rest of the year that it doesn't make sense for either party to commit to anything right now.

Buss himself might not want to lock in lesser money right now if he's backing himself in to play well at AFL level by the end of the year.

Feel like I'm watching entirely different games to everybody else based on the last few pages. IMO:
  • Khamis was dropped because he has played two poor ones in a row, has been exposed in one-on-one contests constantly, and has consistently been out of position.
  • Vandermeer kicked two nice goals last week and in an endless list of players that played poorly last week, he was not in the top (bottom?) five.
  • Keath's VFL form has been lauded for weeks. Can't have a VFL form-based selection policy and not reward it.
  • Buss is probably not playing because we have eight players <50 games + another debutant, and there is another in his position in similar form with more experience.
  • Clarke is not playing because he got a chance probably a bit early last week with two small forwards out, and did not make the most of it (to put it lightly). He will get another chance.
  • Most who watched Sanders in the VFL felt he wasn't working hard enough defensively.
  • Duryea has been good most of the year so far.

I'm not going to pretend the changes are exactly what I would've picked or anything. But my personal view is that it's clear that some here are so over the coaching staff that they will criticise anything that happens at all.
But my personal view is that it's clear that some here are so over the coaching staff that they will criticise anything that happens at all

Thoroughly agree with your last sentence.
The criticism & hysteria has been bordered on irrational ... this year we're poor. Not every team is top 4 every year.

But my personal view is that it's clear that some here are so over the coaching staff that they will criticise anything that happens at all

The criticism & hysteria has been bordered on irrational ... this year we're poor. Not every team is top 4 every year.
Can you name a time where we've been top 4

I’d settle for top 8

I honestly can't remember a worst 1st game from a player then what Clarke had. Callum Porter maybe, but I think Clarke was even worse then that. You can't keep a player in after a performance like that 1st gamer or not, you have to have some standards.
I could list you 100’s Jono brown zero disposals McLeod 4 Elliot 2 Jobe Watson 2. Lefau this year had 2. Clarke had two ordinary kicks no doubt. His contest and attack from a small fwd was good he had 59/129 mins and had 6 disposals. I’m ok with him being dropped. Seems the type of kid that will continue to put in the hard yards and get better.
As I said though 100’s of players have ordinary debuts. It means nothing.

I could list you 100’s Jono brown zero disposals McLeod 4 Elliot 2 Jobe Watson 2. Lefau this year had 2. Clarke had two ordinary kicks no doubt. His contest and attack from a small fwd was good he had 59/129 mins and had 6 disposals. I’m ok with him being dropped. Seems the type of kid that will continue to put in the hard yards and get better.
As I said though 100’s of players have ordinary debuts. It means nothing.
The worst from any club I can remember in recent times was Samson Ryan from tigers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The worst from any club I can remember in recent times was Samson Ryan from tigers.
It’s irrelevant though as many players have had great debuts and their careers fizzle out very quickly.
The proof how Clarke handles it over the next few weeks will determine if he gets another opportunity this season. Personally I’m a huge fan but like many young players the occasion might have got to him.
Main thing is the team wins this week. Go doggies.

It’s irrelevant though as many players have had great debuts and their careers fizzle out very quickly.
The proof how Clarke handles it over the next few weeks will determine if he gets another opportunity this season. Personally I’m a huge fan but like many young players the occasion might have got to him.
Main thing is the team wins this week. Go doggies.
Exactly right.
Imagine Georgiades compared to Luke Darcy. Or Jason Tutt to Jobe Watson.
A career is definitely not defined by the debut for the better or the worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back