Cox v Gawn

Who was better

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

huh? you're basing a guys career based on 1 game? 1 game in which he was one of his teams best players. lol Gawn with more AA jumper means he's better.
I’m saying the hyperbole on the game is an accurate summation of how overrated he is by the media. Stanley shut him down for most of last night but apparently Geelong “didn’t have an answer”.

It was probably the 5th best ruck performance this round.

I’m saying the hyperbole on the game is an accurate summation of how overrated he is by the media. Stanley shut him down for most of last night but apparently Geelong “didn’t have an answer”.

It was probably the 5th best ruck performance this round.
where did I reference his game? He isn't overrated at all. What did you think his 5 goal effort in a prelim versus the cats? Probably the greatest game by a ruckman in the history of the game.

I didn't reference last nights game at all. He didn't play well, but he stood up when it counted in the last quarter with a goal from 55m as well as 4 contested marks.

where did I reference his game? He isn't overrated at all. What did you think his 5 goal effort in a prelim versus the cats? Probably the greatest game by a ruckman in the history of the game.

I didn't reference last nights game at all. He didn't play well, but he stood up when it counted in the last quarter with a goal from 55m as well as 4 contested marks.
Are you the media? Was obviously referring to Cornes comments on the game.

Both are awesome. AA’s don’t mean much once you’ve both got so many.

Splitting hairs but would say that Cox better skills and around the ground, Gawn better contested work. Both good tap rucks. Would have been good to see them match up with both in their prime.

Impossible to say one is definitively better than the other.

Both are awesome. AA’s don’t mean much once you’ve both got so many.

Splitting hairs but would say that Cox better skills and around the ground, Gawn better contested work. Both good tap rucks. Would have been good to see them match up with both in their prime.

Impossible to say one is definitively better than the other.
Yeah I kinda go with this opinion.

Different rucks but both sit at the top of the ruck tree

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

I think if Gawn matches him in AAs and wins another premiership he inches ahead, but as for now I have them pretty even.

Still standing by this.

Gawn was average on Saturday night but his ability to lift in the last quarter was again on display. I reckon I’ve seen 10 more ‘skilled’ rucks but I’ve never seen anyone impact games to the extent he does.

Well Juddy reckons Cox is arguably the greatest Ruckman in Footy History. Even in his first year in WAFL he managed to win BOG in the Grand Final as a lanky kid.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think it's much of a muchness, honestly. Two outstanding players with different strengths, so it depends on what you value more from a player.

Cox was a much better kick (don't have his DE% stats at my disposal) and was able to use his running power to impact games in transition more, whereas Gawn is a better contested contested player (more than double the contested marks, more contested possessions, more tackles etc). Gawn the better tap ruck, but the stats favour him a bit due to the more congested modern game (more stoppages, etc).

Career accolades are quite similar, though Gawn looks likely to earn his 7th AA nom this year, which would put him ahead of Cox in that regard.

Think it's still fairly subjective at this stage, though.

Category (per game)CoxGawn
Kicks8.99.2
Handballs6.96.4
Disposals15.915.6
Contested Possessions6.79.1
Uncontested Possessions9.26.4
Clearances2.83.5
Hitouts22.933.0
Marks5.34.6
Contested Marks0.92.1
Goals0.60.5
Tackles1.52.5
Inside 50s2.22.4
Rebound 50s1.51.3
CareerCoxGawn
Games290211*
All-Australians66*
Premierships11*
AFLCA Champion Player01*
Best and Fairests12*
Browlow Votes71108

Think it's much of a muchness, honestly. Two outstanding players with different strengths, so it depends on what you value more from a player.

Cox was a much better kick (don't have his DE% stats at my disposal) and was able to use his running power to impact games in transition more, whereas Gawn is a better contested contested player (more than double the contested marks, more contested possessions, more tackles etc). Gawn the better tap ruck, but the stats favour him a bit due to the more congested modern game (more stoppages, etc).

Career accolades are quite similar, though Gawn looks likely to earn his 7th AA nom this year, which would put him ahead of Cox in that regard.

Think it's still fairly subjective at this stage, though.

Category (per game)CoxGawn
Kicks8.99.2
Handballs6.96.4
Disposals15.915.6
Contested Possessions6.79.1
Uncontested Possessions9.26.4
Clearances2.83.5
Hitouts22.933.0
Marks5.34.6
Contested Marks0.92.1
Goals0.60.5
Tackles1.52.5
Inside 50s2.22.4
Rebound 50s1.51.3
CareerCoxGawn
Games290211*
All-Australians66*
Premierships11*
AFLCA Champion Player01*
Best and Fairests12*
Browlow Votes71108
The bolded is incorrect. They are very similar. Cox's averages look significantyl less in the hitouts but that's a reflection of the change in game.

Both are consistently top ~3 in hitouts per game when they played. With singnficant drop offs when Nic Nat came along, and when Gawn played with Jackson. Don't confuse Cox's last years when he was at the end and a bit useless in the ruck with his actual ruck work in his prime.

Back