Research Data gaps + big projects

Remove this Banner Ad

In more recent times Mobbs, 2020 (and maybe 2021) would have not just big gaps but massive holes too with the shutdowns.
Yes for sure, I was thinking that as I typed before. In terms of footy, the Covid epidemic was close to as big a shakeup as the wars.
Some odd anomalies: the depression in some ways ADDED footy. Folks couldn't afford to travel much so tinier leagues appeared sometimes in places where there were previously wider ones.
And during the Vietnam War era, an entire league operated in Vietnam from 1967 to 1971! Unfortunately I just noticed that the Boyles Football Photos webpage has gone - which had documented this so well.

Is there a SANFl data base for games played?
I can't work out if Max George (Central District)
played from Round 6 to Round 8 in 1981
after that he's with West Torrens

1714955389049.jpeg

MaxGeorge

recruitedfrom Quairading

SwanDistricts 1969 1970 20 games 67 goals

NorthamRailways (Avon) 1971

SwanDistricts 1973- 1975 44 games 174 goals

Fitzroy1976

Geraldton1977

SwanDistricts 1977-1978 5games 9 goals

CentralDistrict (SANFL) 1978 -1979 25 games 94 goals

Railway(GNFL) 1980 12 games 67 goals

CentralDistrict (SANFL) 1981 around 5 to 8 games 20 goals

WestTorrens (SANFL) 1981 3 games 8 goals

Last edited:

Team selected positions are largely meaningless these days, but can be interesting historically - just finished this today.

Hawthorn's selected positions for all games - 2nd tab sortable to see who has been in each position most. Bit of fun.

(For clarity I've named players as INT only when they were interchangeable. So pre-78 19th and 20th men are all SUB).

Attachments

• HFC Selected Positions.xlsx
    2.3 MB · Views: 3

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SANFL seasons 1974-1981 round by round scores are now done.

At this stage, 167 rounds have seen a combined score of 1000+ points.

Meanwhile, R12 of the 1939 SANFL season was the first (and, up to this point, the only one) SANFL round where every loser registered a score of 100+ points.

1982-1989 are now done.

R14 1984 saw what is, up to this point, the highest scoring round in league history when the SANFL teams combined to score an average of 145.6 points per side.

At this point, just 4/1834 rounds (finals included) have seen the loser kick a score of 100+ points.

Further, 1989 became the only season from the '80's not to see a league wide average score of 100 points per side.

1985 saw what was, up to that point, the highest average score of the season with 119.23 points the average.

Sorry to seem like I'm spamming but another bracket of SANFL seasons have come and gone.

2008-12.

After I'm done with the SANFL, I'll next move on to the VFA/VFL.

I will treat the VFA/VFL like it's one road instead of being split in 2 roads.

EDIT!

2013-17 done.

Last edited:
2018-23 are now done and the SANFL round by round scoring documentation (goals, behinds and totals) has concluded.

If you have a stats website and am looking for this, I can submit these to you season by season.

Edit: The 2024 SANFL season is in full swing and, as we're up to R7, it has yet to conclude.

Personally I reckon it's cool that you post updates of progress. Carry on!

I just feel like I might be a pest or, in the language of social media, might be doing the posting equivalent of a "like spam."

Thanks for your encouragement Mobbs.

Have just finished off a fairly big project which is less about historical research and more about trying to archive what we currently have online. I've dubbed it "Saving SportingPulse".

As we know, the AFL has pushed the (inferior) PlayHQ product on to all leagues from 2022 onwards, with I believe 99% of local leagues now using the platform as of 2024. However, a lot of their historical results were posted via GameDay (formerly SportsTG/Fox Sports Pulse/SportingPulse) and with the site now starting to fade and break before our eyes, I thought it pertinent to save what was still available on the live web so that that data is easily accessible when archiving scores (for instance, to AustralianFootball.com) in the future.

I've saved MHTML files for every regular season, finals and ladder page for every league in every state & territory that was ever posted on SportingPulse. It was a fairly Herculean manual task and probably took around 50 hours of work. The result is a collection of files and folders spanning more than 10GB. It's too large to share in one go, but if any researchers have any interest in particular parts of the data, chuck me a PM and I'm more than happy to see how I can get it across to you.

Cheers!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back