Coach Did Damien Hardwick fake exhaustion to graciously exit a declining Richmond?

Remove this Banner Ad

TurnerBuoy

Draftee
Suspended
May 4, 2024
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Did nobody else find it odd that Hardwick was so eager to coach again so soon after putting on a performance for the media telling everyone how exhausted and tired he was? Half way into this season, it is becoming clear what's going on.

The Richmond parallels with Hawthorn 8-10 years ago are uncanny to say the least. Hawthorn won three flags in a row before bowing out of the finals in straight sets in 2016. At this point Clarko decides now is the time to move on some of the old guard (Sam Mitchell, Jordan Lewis) and instructs the club to trade the farm for Tom Mitchell and Jaeger O'Meara; two midfielders in their twenties. This was Clarko's Grand Plan for a revolutionary snap rebuild where they wouldn't have to bottom out like other rebuilding clubs, but instead, continue to add free agents and big name trades and stay at the top. Proceeded to bring in Wingard, Scully, Patton among others, but missed out on Shiel, Lynch and Coniglio. All of this ended badly, leaving Hawthorn with a broken list and in need of an extended bottoming-out period.

Richmond won 3 out of 4 flags from 2017-2020. Following the 2021-2022 years it was becoming apparent the list was getting old and on the way down. What followed was a similar scenario: instead of going down the standard rebuilding path of prioritizing youth recruitment, Dimma decided he wants to try the Clarko snap rebuild, instructing Richmond to trade the farm for Hopper and Taranto. Fast forward half-way through the 2023 season, it is now abundantly clear Richmond won't be contending for a long time, and knowing this, Dimma decides to call it quits, citing fatigue.

Just a few weeks later he decides he's eager to coach again, and conveniently, the Gold Coast are looking for a new coach, have one of the exciting young lists in the competition, and are desperate to pay big money to any proven Premiership-winning coach.

As of Round 10, 2024, the Gold Coast are young, fast, exciting, just thrashed Geelong, look primed for their first finals appearance ever and will likely be contenders over the next 5-10 years. As for Richmond, they are in the dumpster. Their youth is poor (possibly the worst in the competition), they are full of injuries, they are still heavily dependent on older players who aren't performing, and are virtually certain to spend the next 5-7 years hanging around the bottom like Hawthorn. By the time that list is ready to compete, Hopper and Taranto will be grandpas.

With all this in mind, Hardwick's alleged fatigue all seems just a bit too well-timed. I suspect it was a load of rubbish. He's ambitious and impatient. He doesn't want to go through the whole rebuild thing again, he wants to coach a contender. This is precisely why he recruited Hopper and Taranto to Richmond in the first place, and why Clarko brought in Mitchell, O'Meara, Wingard (and tried to bring in Lynch, Shiel and Coniglio). While Clarko spent a few years trying to make it work, Hardwick quickly realized Richmond was sinking faster than the Titanic and abandoned ship.

It was pretty obvious - in his retirement press conference, he admitted that 2023 was going to be his last year of coachign them before taking a year off from coaching. Why would he resign then? He was offered a massive sum to coach the Suns under the provision Dew wouldn't coach them anymore and he took his sabbatical before his 5-year Suns deal commenced

So yes, he did fake it. He had a 5 year deal he had to accept then because the AFL couldn't let Dew coach them any longer and Hardwick needed his break.

Dunno about you but I was fairly happy to jump ship at previous workplaces that were going down the gurgler.
I'd have way more respect for his handling of the situation if he'd said, 'Look, I eked every ounce I could out of this group and we won three flags together. We had a go at keeping things on track, but it's clear now it's gonna be a huge, long-term task to climb that mountain again and I'm not up for it. Best give it to the next bloke.'

I'd have way more respect for his handling of the situation if he'd said, 'Look, I eked every ounce I could out of this group and we won three flags together. We had a go at keeping things on track, but it's clear now it's gonna be a huge, long-term task to climb that mountain again and I'm not up for it. Best give it to the next bloke.'
We don't know if he said that or not though? Either way, Richmond owed him, not the other way around.

As an expert liar, I can confirm that it was all a load of shit. Once the huge Suns offer came through he had to quickly come up with an excuse to exit or he wasn’t going to get his holiday.

What are the believable options? Burnout/exhaustion was top of the list and was palatable enough for the board and fans.

Knowing the media will be all over it, the next step is to plant several photos laughing it up in Texas bars so we’re all made aware that he’s getting the rest he needs before the Suns news breaks.

Forget 2017-2020. This was his greatest coaching performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did nobody else find it odd that Hardwick was so eager to coach again so soon after putting on a performance for the media telling everyone how exhausted and tired he was? Half way into this season, it is becoming clear what's going on.

The Richmond parallels with Hawthorn 8-10 years ago are uncanny to say the least. Hawthorn won three flags in a row before bowing out of the finals in straight sets in 2016. At this point Clarko decides now is the time to move on some of the old guard (Sam Mitchell, Jordan Lewis) and instructs the club to trade the farm for Tom Mitchell and Jaeger O'Meara; two midfielders in their twenties. This was Clarko's Grand Plan for a revolutionary snap rebuild where they wouldn't have to bottom out like other rebuilding clubs, but instead, continue to add free agents and big name trades and stay at the top. Proceeded to bring in Wingard, Scully, Patton among others, but missed out on Shiel, Lynch and Coniglio. All of this ended badly, leaving Hawthorn with a broken list and in need of an extended bottoming-out period.

Richmond won 3 out of 4 flags from 2017-2020. Following the 2021-2022 years it was becoming apparent the list was getting old and on the way down. What followed was a similar scenario: instead of going down the standard rebuilding path of prioritizing youth recruitment, Dimma decided he wants to try the Clarko snap rebuild, instructing Richmond to trade the farm for Hopper and Taranto. Fast forward half-way through the 2023 season, it is now abundantly clear Richmond won't be contending for a long time, and knowing this, Dimma decides to call it quits, citing fatigue.

Just a few weeks later he decides he's eager to coach again, and conveniently, the Gold Coast are looking for a new coach, have one of the exciting young lists in the competition, and are desperate to pay big money to any proven Premiership-winning coach.

As of Round 10, 2024, the Gold Coast are young, fast, exciting, just thrashed Geelong, look primed for their first finals appearance ever and will likely be contenders over the next 5-10 years. As for Richmond, they are in the dumpster. Their youth is poor (possibly the worst in the competition), they are full of injuries, they are still heavily dependent on older players who aren't performing, and are virtually certain to spend the next 5-7 years hanging around the bottom like Hawthorn. By the time that list is ready to compete, Hopper and Taranto will be grandpas.

With all this in mind, Hardwick's alleged fatigue all seems just a bit too well-timed. I suspect it was a load of rubbish. He's ambitious and impatient. He doesn't want to go through the whole rebuild thing again, he wants to coach a contender. This is precisely why he recruited Hopper and Taranto to Richmond in the first place, and why Clarko brought in Mitchell, O'Meara, Wingard (and tried to bring in Lynch, Shiel and Coniglio). While Clarko spent a few years trying to make it work, Hardwick quickly realized Richmond was sinking faster than the Titanic and abandoned ship.
Ironic as Damien Hardwick was nearly sack in the end of 2016. Richmond wins 3 flags in the next 4 years in 2017 , 2019 and 2020. I think by 2021, Hardwick knew Richmond were past their peak. Hardwick doesnt owe richmond anything, he got 3 flags.

Saying that, Wasnt Mark "Bomber" Thompson in a similiar situation at the end of 2010? He got Geelong flags in 2007 and 2009. Bomber didnt owe the cats anything once he was "Burnt out" by the end of 2010.

Yes Chris Scott got the cats to a Flag in 2011. Cats stayed as competitors for the flag after the 2010 departure after Mark Thompson left.

If Chris Scott decided to leave the cats at the end of this season or next season, I dont think many cats fans will complain after getting the 2011 and 2022 flags.

Last edited:
The 2017-2022 period is clearly of great comfort to Tiger fans at the moment and I get it… superb few years of football under Hardwick.

But the way in which he has left the club in the position it is in is deserving of thorough analysis. Loved him when he played at Essendon, devastated when he went to Port … however something changed in him in those early to middle years at Richmond that has made him a really unlikable character. We know about the off-field ‘Days Of Our Life’ saga which may be an unfair factor in this discussion but it certainly paints an interesting dimension into the character.

Now his old team is set to play the club he branded “a bunch of spuds” last year.

The flags have been won and they were sensational. But the ending and exit is deserving of criticism and his own personal legacy in the success is a bit tarnished by it.

Said it at the time, haven’t changed my mind. 100% shafted them. The story of him losing the plot at his players after losing to Essendon only made better by the fact Sam Durham kicked the winner.
Traded in Mrs Hardwick for a flashier model, did the same with his football clubs.

He 100% had the GC job lined up, but I think the burn out was more to do with the fact he didn't have the energy to go through a full rebuild. Ultimately he couldn't be stuffed getting pumped for 5 years which is fair. Probably best time for both parties to move on.

I've always maintained the opinion Dimma isn't the best coach but a great club leader. I thought he struggled match day until Caracella, Leppa, Kingsley and co got to the club. At the end of the day a head coach doesn't have to be the best tactician and he was a great leader or the club either way.

Wouldn’t be the first time.

Barry Hall announced he was quitting the Swans (and football indefinitely) because he couldn’t control his anger and was worried he’d do another player permanent damage.

Good riddance I said; I thought his thuggery was a stain on our club, but I did give him some respect at that final moment for being so candid and decisive about his anger issue.

Then lo and behold he pops up four months later at the Bulldogs. Not a word said about his supposedly career-ending issues. To my knowledge he’s never explained his miraculous recovery.

Last edited:
Quite the revelation.

Not.

My only issue is, and is obvious in both examples given, success is a drug and much like a drug, the user cant admit when the high has worn off and the downward spiral of self harm has set in.
3 flags in short succession is quite an achievement but were either really capable of adding to it? Unlikely.
But rather than admit the high was over they looked to quick fixes to maintain the high and in doing so made the recovery so much harder.

The only difference in the 2 coaches is Clarko is playing the long game by rebuilding a young list at North whilst Dimma took the easy path.

Yep, very smart move. Leaves a team that will be contending bottom 4 for the next 5 years for a team that will be contending top 4 over the next 5 years.

The longer he stayed at Richmond the more of his fingerprints that would be left on the complete mess of a list there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back