Review Dogs choke the life out of The Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL cheer up mate 70 points is still 70 points. What were you expecting 170 points?
No one at the club would be under any illusions about the quality of opposition but you still have to win and 70 points is a big margin
Well, considering the result last year ...

We kept them to 30 points and their previous lowest score at Marvel was 52. It was an outstanding performance. Complete.

Good win. Our backline looks much improved on last year, based off the last 2 weeks. Can’t wait to see Richards and ODonnell back in there too
The Daniel Pratt effect

We've had a recent history of drafting/trading in vfl standard battlers and giving them a good run at it, I was expecting rhe same with bramble, but wow have i been pleasantly surprised, he's been absolutely brilliant in every game. Kudos to the trade team, hope he can continue the amazing form, hasn't set 1 foot wrong.
All clubs do it as it’s s strategy to manage your salary cap and not all picks come off but because you are not paying much you can afford to role the dice. We haven’t been too bad the Poulter etc and now Bramble

I think he's saying how rediculous the mandating of a product and forcing people to choose whether to keep their job or take said product over something that no one knew the consequences of that said product, which said product was never tested to see if it would stop transmission of virus that product was meant to stop (admitted by product representative in EU parliament) seems like he is saying that pharmaceutical companies together with the media and government lied to and tricked a lot of people
LOL time to move on

Although it was a big winning margin it did not feel we did it like a training drill where the opposition were witches hats.

The effort and intensity was there. Tackling was good, little tap on here and there, prepared to run for the benefit of another teammate was there, prepared to work hard was present.

Solid win on the back of a good foundation but tougher opposition to come and we should embrace that.

Surely you are having a lend…..ok I’ll bite

Covid is over and has been for a while
Actually that is rubbish - the virus is still circulating and killing vulnerable patients. My hospital has a ward full of them.
The overall numbers are falling but that is probably because people no longer report positive RAT results to the DHHS rather than the virus going away (it NEVER will and will continue to kill the vulnerable just like Influenza A).

The bigger concern amongst the medical fraternity now though is "long COVID" - up to 10% of patients who contract the virus end up with chronic disease that can cause devastating effects.

As for the game yesterday, it is good to have a relaxing "easy kill" every now and then, even if it is against a WAFL standard team with a couple of AFL standard players. Honestly players like Yeo, Barrass and McGovern should be demanding a trade to a finals contender to stop wasting their career.

I was most impressed by Gallagher and Bramble of the players I watched live for the 1st time, while a thought the work rate of Sanders was impressive for a rookie. The backline was rock solid once again led by Liam Jones and an improving Buku Khamis. Good to see the Doc back too, as we really missed Ed Richards.

LOL cheer up mate 70 points is still 70 points. What were you expecting 170 points?
No one at the club would be under any illusions about the quality of opposition but you still have to win and 70 points is a big margin
I'm pretty cheered to be honest. I just think gameplan and list-wise we're still not conforming to the 2024 version of the game. We keep going in too tall and too slow at selection. Our midfield will sorely miss bailey smith in this regard.

Happy to highlight the good stuff there too.

Sanders is absurdly mature for his experience. Once he gains confidence in his ability at the level he will assert himself more on games. Still feel like he's being a bit too team conscious at times and too unselfish. Almost stepping on eggshells with the ball. This is also why derms comments were utterly ridiculous. Anyone who has watched him play so far for us knows how stupid that was.

Bramble is basically pick up of the year at this point if he continues this form and endeavour. The challenge with these journeyman players is keeping that hunger. Collingwood were masters of this last year and basically stole a premiership because of it. Their coach squeezed every ounce of performance from a list that didn't have the talent level to win a flag.

Some were saying Darcy's performance was underwhelming but I thought he competed well in the air and commanded plenty of opposition attention. Stat wise this was one of his poor games and he still generated the sort of numbers Lobb regularly does. I would persevere there.

VDM is much maligned for being injury prone and inconsistent but shows great effort and compete level. One of his best games. I'd be looking to get another one of those types into the side in Garcia as quick as possible.

Khamis needs to get a solid run at it. Still learning his craft but there is something to work with there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Full credit to the club and Buku. He clearly did not have the tank to play a defensive role in previous seasons but he has worked hard and resisted the easy temptation of another club.
Reward for effort by both club and player
True, and I wasn’t surprised Dermott’s description of Buku as ‘Athletic’ - cue every other player of Sudanese descent prior to him.

We've started this season in a similar vein to how our 2011 season started.

2011 we started the season with a 55-point loss, followed by wins in rounds two and three by 78 & 71 points.
2024 we started the season with a 45-point loss, followed by wins in rounds two and three by 48 & 76 points.

Why am I mentioning this? Although the results are fairly similar, 2011 was the last season Eade coached us...

I'm pretty cheered to be honest. I just think gameplan and list-wise we're still not conforming to the 2024 version of the game. We keep going in too tall and too slow at selection. Our midfield will sorely miss bailey smith in this regard.

Happy to highlight the good stuff there too.

Sanders is absurdly mature for his experience. Once he gains confidence in his ability at the level he will assert himself more on games. Still feel like he's being a bit too team conscious at times and too unselfish. Almost stepping on eggshells with the ball. This is also why derms comments were utterly ridiculous. Anyone who has watched him play so far for us knows how stupid that was.

Bramble is basically pick up of the year at this point if he continues this form and endeavour. The challenge with these journeyman players is keeping that hunger. Collingwood were masters of this last year and basically stole a premiership because of it. Their coach squeezed every ounce of performance from a list that didn't have the talent level to win a flag.

Some were saying Darcy's performance was underwhelming but I thought he competed well in the air and commanded plenty of opposition attention. Stat wise this was one of his poor games and he still generated the sort of numbers Lobb regularly does. I would persevere there.

VDM is much maligned for being injury prone and inconsistent but shows great effort and compete level. One of his best games. I'd be looking to get another one of those types into the side in Garcia as quick as possible.

Khamis needs to get a solid run at it. Still learning his craft but there is something to work with there.
There you go that’s better

Bremerton is full of crap but his and the others comments on VDM were 💯 spot on. We need players who can move up and down the ground at speed it’s crucial in today’s game

Vandermeer's skills are generally poor but he's one of the hardest running players in the entire league with his repeat sprints, he's also one of our few player with aggression but he doesn't have controlled aggression so he gives away free kicks.

Vandermeer's skills are generally poor but he's one of the hardest running players in the entire league with his repeat sprints, he's also one of our few player with aggression but he doesn't have controlled aggression so he gives away free kicks.
Fair points but his good is something we lack and that is why he gets picked

Must be so rough watching that as an eagles supporter. They’re a Yeo or McGovern injury away from regular 130+ point losses.

Can’t find many genuine afl standard players in that team. Yeo, McGovern, Kelly, Duggan, Barrass (who was s**t). Can’t really see anyone else besides Reid and Gibney that any clubs would even want.

Think yesterday was a lot more positive than people are leading on. We normally struggle if it’s not Bont or Liber doing all the work. The fact that Treloar imo was the only stand out and everyone else did their bit was a great sign.

Down back. JJ, Dale, Bramble. Throw Richards down there too and that’s a great rebounding defence. Loving Buku as the interceptor. Looking forward to seeing how he goes with JOD back.

Thought Macrae was good in the last once Liber went out. Still a lot of work to do with the team balance.

Gallagher and VDM - very good. Probably Laiths best game in his career. Rhylee West is a lock in the 22 now, growing every week.

Yeah nah brereton was talking dribble
At least he wasn't paired up with Johnno and goading him with snide and "funny" comments all day long. I often thought Johnno should demand to be assigned to a different commentary group; maybe he has.

I think this board under appreciates Tim English. I get he is frustrating sometimes, especially against the likes of Gawn (who doesn’t Gawn dominate… he’s the best ruckmen ever imo) and Grundy, but he’s so good at 95% of the game. Most clubs would kill for a bloke like him.

Intercept marks, tackles, gets heaps of the footy, kicks goals, runs all day. He’s a $900,000 player.

I think this board under appreciates Tim English. I get he is frustrating sometimes, especially against the likes of Gawn (who doesn’t Gawn dominate… he’s the best ruckmen ever imo) and Grundy, but he’s so good at 95% of the game. Most clubs would kill for a bloke like him.

Intercept marks, tackles, gets heaps of the footy, kicks goals, runs all day. He’s a $900,000 player.

The biggest problem is that he'll look good against the upper echelon of ruckmen but then he'll get put against people who he should clearly give a bath but he'll just wilt when they play the body in the ruck.

Vandermeer - 25 years old, 47 games across 5 seasons.
Finally! Round 3, 2024 plays a game that justifies his spot in the team.
One out of the box: 23 possessions, 10 Marks, 8 score involvements, 2 goal assists, 8 contested possessions & a goal.
104 Dream Team Points

Something close to this each week would be nice.

Not so slow Dogs: JJ, Bramble, Baker and Vandermeer

Naughton played to his strengths
20 Disposals, 13 Score Involvements, 4 Goal Assists, 10 contested possessions, 8 Marks, 2 contested marks, Score 1.1
Might not have got a bag of goals but this was arguably the most influential game he has played. It was a different game from Naughton. Would love to see a heat map.
He repeatedly ran down-back and the wing providing the connection from defense to attack. His ground ball agility is truly elite for a man of his size and power. Meaning when he is not able to take the mark, his crashing packs and bullying the opposition at ground level. Where we win possession - as there are few if any defenders who can keep up with him in traffic, he is then running into the forward line without his direct opponent. This is a nightmare for the defenders. And explains the 8 score involvements.

We shall see how this works against top teams but it's an approach a few of us have been advocating for a while.

Mysterious Centre Square shellacking v Westcoast
This was outrageous. Have we ever lost center square clearances this badly? and if we have, I can't imagine we still won the game and this easily?

Vandermeer - 25 years old, 47 games across 5 seasons.
Finally! Round 3, 2024 plays a game that justifies his spot in the team.
One out of the box: 23 possessions, 10 Marks, 8 score involvements, 2 goal assists, 8 contested possessions & a goal.
104 Dream Team Points

Something close to this each week would be nice.

Not so slow Dogs: JJ, Bramble, Baker and Vandermeer

Naughton played to his strengths
20 Disposals, 13 Score Involvements, 4 Goal Assists, 10 contested possessions, 8 Marks, 2 contested marks, Score 1.1
Might not have got a bag of goals but this was arguably the most influential game he has played. It was a different game from Naughton. Would love to see a heat map.
He repeatedly ran down-back and the wing providing the connection from defense to attack. His ground ball agility is truly elite for a man of his size and power. Meaning when he is not able to take the mark, his crashing packs and bullying the opposition at ground level. Where we win possession - as there are few if any defenders who can keep up with him in traffic, he is then running into the forward line without his direct opponent. This is a nightmare for the defenders. And explains the 8 score involvements.

We shall see how this works against top teams but it's an approach a few of us have been advocating for a while.

Mysterious Centre Square shellacking v Westcoast
This was outrageous. Have we ever lost center square clearances this badly? and if we have, I can't imagine we still won the game and this easily?
Finally supporters realise what VDM adds to the side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back