Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone visited Slovakia and/or Slovenia? How did you like it?
Do you think it is necessary to rent a car there or is it possible travel around using public transport only?
If i decide to rent a car, it is written i need a vignette, anyone knows if that is official website https://slovakiavignette.eu? Should i get it in advance or is it possible to get it on some petrol stations for example?

Last edited:
Anyone visited Slovakia and/or Slovenia?
Hw did you like it?
Spent 3 days in Bratislava about 7 years ago. Was the furtherest I've travelled into eastern Europe and certainly started to look different. It was ok, I cant remember too much specifically about it except I remember the beers were big and strong, and an autumn afternoon walking around Bratislava castle was quite beautiful. I enjoyed Budapest much more.

Spent 3 days in Bratislava about 7 years ago. Was the furtherest I've travelled into eastern Europe and certainly started to look different. It was ok, I cant remember too much specifically about it except I remember the beers were big and strong, and an autumn afternoon walking around Bratislava castle was quite beautiful. I enjoyed Budapest much more.
Budapest is the bomb, i just can't get enough! now that summer is coming i will avoid it as it will be full of tourists but gee, i was there in Feb, it was empty, quite warm and absolutely stunning. Stay in the IC right next to the chain bridge with the river view is a dream.

Budapest is the bomb, i just can't get enough! now that summer is coming i will avoid it as it will be full of tourists but gee, i was there in Feb, it was empty, quite warm and absolutely stunning. Stay in the IC right next to the chain bridge with the river view is a dream.
I have some great B&W photos of my wife and I on that bridge.. If I had to go back through my photos, Budapest might just have the best and most unique images.

Hw did you like it?
dropped in to Slovenia for a short time a couple of years ago, didnt get to Ljuljana we were just based around lake Bled for a few days.
quite liked it, the area was pretty and laid back. went whitewater rafting in the alps and did some hiking. would like to have spent more time in the country and explored the city and some different regions.
was cheap too from memory. would recommend

off for 6 weeks starting June :) yeah i know its peak time - not my doing :(
  • 2 weeks road tripping around Norway's west coast
  • Amsterdam then Berlin (probably a week total)
  • 1 week haven't organised yet
  • two weeks in northern Italy

should go ok
fly out next week - mentally i am already there. bad time to be my job lol
added a couple of days in Dubai on the way over, ended up splitting the rest of the unknown week between the places above

**** i hate the plane trip over though. dreading it.

Hw did you like it?
Have driven around both several times and loved it. Slovenia especially has some absolutely stunning scenery, is easy to get around and the hospitality is superb. Amazing food that won’t even put a small dent in your wallet. Just don’t make the mistake and go to Lake Bled anytime around school holidays, weekends etc in spring/summer as the traffic queues stretch for miles and not a lot of parking

I spent 3 days in Bucharest and 2 in Sofia on the way over to the UK this year. Bucharest is great, amazing architecture, really interesting history. Had a nice buzz just walking around town.

Sofia, pretty pox. Not in any rush to go back there. Not much interesting to see.

dropped in to Slovenia for a short time a couple of years ago, didnt get to Ljuljana we were just based around lake Bled for a few days.
quite liked it, the area was pretty and laid back. went whitewater rafting in the alps and did some hiking. would like to have spent more time in the country and explored the city and some different regions.
was cheap too from memory. would recommend
You don't have to pay to go to a public toilet in Ljubljana either 😉

I spent 3 days in Bucharest and 2 in Sofia on the way over to the UK this year. Bucharest is great, amazing architecture, really interesting history. Had a nice buzz just walking around town.

Sofia, pretty pox. Not in any rush to go back there. Not much interesting to see.
I didn't like Bucharest at all. I loved the rest of Romania though.

I didn't like Bucharest at all. I loved the rest of Romania though.
Same. It's just like me living in Sofia, there's not much to do (but i ain't complaining, it's the cheapest place in the EU) but the rest of Bulgaria is so awesome and very underrated. Went skiing in Borovetz, way better than Bansko.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same. It's just like me living in Sofia, there's not much to do (but i ain't complaining, it's the cheapest place in the EU) but the rest of Bulgaria is so awesome and very underrated. Went skiing in Borovetz, way better than Bansko
I went to Bansko a few years ago and didn't mind it at all. It was a coin flip between it and Borovetz. What does Borovetz do better?

I went to Bansko a few years ago and didn't mind it at all. It was a coin flip between it and Borovetz. What does Borovetz do better?
They are different experiences. For starters Borovets is a pretty small resort, and it's for beginners and more advanced skiiers, nothing for the intermediates.. I have been skiing since 2006 so i enjoy it more cause i don't have to queue up and wait for my turn again. Bansko is way too commercial, it feels like being in St Moritz in Switzerland as opposed to Grindelwald. Borovetz is like Bansko when i first arrived back in 2007, feels more like rural Switzerland. Bansko is full of tourist traps and overpriced ***** restaurants abd bars and now it's a resort town. Also prices are cheaper, you can get a pint for 1.5 euros, which is impossible there. Also almost no nightlife, festivals etc which is a common theme in Bansko.

Although the restaurant selection is terrible in Borovets but we usually eat at the hotel, which offers a decent choice.

Has anyone taken the long and cheapest way to get to Europe from Perth. Instead of 17hrs it's well into day 2 via anywhere like China, Japan with three stops instead of none which could save $2000.
Or is it the case if I can't afford the airfare then I shouldn't be going?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back