Faceoff - Round 8 - North Melbourne vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 23, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hi guys, one of your own will contribute a more North-melbourne-centric perspective at some point. :)

First, some FaceOff instructions:

AFL Premiership Round 8
North Melbourne V Adelaide

picture.php
--------- V ---------
picture.php

Saturday May 15
Etihad Stadium 7:10 PM (Local Time)
Melbourne Forecast Melbourne Radar

Ladder:
North%20MelbourneAdelaideLadder.gif

Season Win/Loss
North%20MelbourneAdelaideSeasonWL.gif

Well, folks, what can we say about this upcoming game?

It's been a shocking start to the season for the crows. When your season highlights consist of "Beating Richmond" and "Noone got injured when we played port", it's a fair indicator that things have not gone at all well.

Can the Adelaide boys get up in an away game vs North? If you'd asked me that question a week before round 1, I'd be predicting a 10 goal win. Today, I'm just hoping that Tippett doesn't explode and injure 5 other players, on our way to a 10 goal loss. It's not much to ask for, is it footy-gods?

Match Preview

It is obvious to me that whoever is in control of the TV rights for AFL games hates the NMFC. I live in Adelaide, and they just do not show North on TV here. I have to assume North is still part of the competition, because the crows don't have a bye this week. Conversely, Collingwood is on TV every friday night (at least) in what must be a concious choice by the broadcasters to make me hate myself for watching. I want to have a shower when I'm done (but I dont).

At any rate, I know sweet FA about Kangas players. I know that Harvey guy, and I know that the Anthony guy I didn't select in DreamTeam last year just did a shoulder. That cost me 94,000th spot btw. I know that Zeibell and Warren look exactly the same, but I don't know what they look like. I know there is a Scott Thompson, and he's not the same one that plays for the crows.

Why Adelaide want it:
A recent analysis (that I feel is quite accurate) suggests that the crows could still somehow finish the season with as many as 8 wins, meaning a 12th/13th place finish. So, assuming that 5 other clubs adhere to the patented "Melbourne Storm accounting practices system" - playing finals is back on the agenda. That makes this a big game. A huge game. The biggest of 2010! FINALS IS UP FOR GRABS FOLKS!

Why the Kangas want it:
North on the other hand, have sucked marginally less than the crows, with their only wins coming against teams receiving potato farm subsidies from the federal government. That said, the Roos haven't had the opportunity to play themselves into some form via a game vs Richmond, and right now the crows are the next best thing.

Expected Line ups

North Melbourne
Well, Anthony is out, and that bloke is a gun. I have no idea who is coming into the team for him.

I'm going to nominate Matty Campbell, because he should be about ready to go again, and the crows have been running with a policy of "5 free goals per small forward" this season.

Team:
B:
Michael Firrito, Scott Thompson, Scott McMahon
HB: Nathan Grima, Lachlan Hansen, Sam Wright
C: Ben Cunnington, Brady Rawlings, Leigh Adams
HF: Lindsay Thomas, Todd Goldstein, Brent Harvey
F: Daniel Wells, David Hale, Ben Warren
Foll: Hamish McIntosh, Andrew Swallow, Jack Ziebell
I/C: Cruize Garlett, Matthew Campbell, Aaron Edwards, Ryan Bastinac

Adelaide
I'm not going to bother listing the crows players that are injured, or playing with an injury, as it's faster to list the ones that aren't. And I'm not even going to do that. Google it.

By some miracle, both Mcleod and Johncock (I saw bone poking out!) are listed as "test". A good thing too, they were our best two players on the day. So, assuming there is no forced changes, the lineup will be the same as last week.

That's right folks, I know that Burton SUXX0RS!!!111!!ONE!!1!! and Mackay/Dangerfield/Knights are all about the mark... but reality check time. None of the blokes nearing recovery are ready yet, and NC thinks that "once in a generation" players like walker should go and prove that point by kicking 100 goals for GWS in 2 years time.

Team:
B: Graham Johncock, Ben Rutten, Phil Davis
HB: Andrew McLeod, Nathan Bock, Simon Goodwin
C: Michael Doughty, Brent Reilly, Nathan van Berlo
HF: Jason Porplyzia, Brett Burton, Bernie Vince
F: Chris Schmidt, Kurt Tippett, Richard Douglas
Foll: Ivan Maric, Scott Thompson, Tyson Edwards
I/C: Myke Cook, Scott Stevens, Jared Petrenko, Matthew Jaensch

Key Players

ADELAIDE

Kurt "well duh he's #1 in the key player list" Tippett

3042030601.jpg

He's just so sexy. His deep voice, his huge hands and feet. ;) If I were to go gay, it'd be for Kurt. He's finally showing some form, and we're finally kicking the ball to him - bizzarre, I know. If we get 5 or 6 out of him and Porpoise (my other true love) then barring a complete defensive meltdown the crows boys are home.

Nathan Bock

AD_Bock_gallery__258x400.jpg

Hopefully this is the week where the Chicken man stops trying to impersonate a witches hat, and proves to us all why he's the only South Australian player whose name Robert Walls can remember. This bloke is an AA, and the best CHB in the league, but you could have been forgiven for thinking he was a late withdrawl the last 2 weeks.
We miss his rebound like Magda Szubanski misses Tim Tams.

Graham Johncock

Johncock_train08_246a.jpg

Haha, nice haircut stiffy.
If he doesn't get up from his shoulder injury and take the field, I am going to tip the kangas (I get a free whopper if I get all 8, so sue me). He is that important. When stiffy is in the team, we don't look like a bunch of mildly disabled schoolchildren wearing bright colours so their parents can spot them in a crowd. We look like a real defensive unit. Opposition small forwards don't kick a goal every quarter. Stiffmeister - we need you.

NORTH

Look, as I mentioned before, I don't know much about this. I'm hoping my North supporter counterpart can do a bit better. So I'll do what I can with my knowledge from the last game I saw.

That one really angry bloke

glen_archer,0.jpg

That one really angry bloke is the kind of player that actually gets better when he's pissed off. Most players just give away multiple 50m penalties, or they move to Collingwood, get tattoo's, giant frizzy haircuts and start listening to "My Chemical Romance". Not that one really angry bloke, he'll mess you up and you'll just be glad you survived. I'm betting he'll go to Douglas, because even I want to punch him sometimes.

Great Footballer Shit Bloke

WayneCarey_246a.jpg

Lets face it, Great footballer shit bloke wins premierships. He's just that good. Despite the controversy, despite the drama, despite the finger wagging morality police: you all wish that Great footballer shit bloke was playing for you.

Given the opportunity, you'd do what it takes to get great footballer shit bloke on your team. You'd even trade high draft picks and star midfielders with captain potential.

That one guy that took that awesome mark

265487_1_M.jpg

Jesus that was a good mark.

Result Prediction

This is a toughie. Last week the crows looked like a bona-fide AFL team. Then again, so would I (yes just me) vs Richmond. North haven't been a lot better, although they did beat melbourne, who thumped us and injured every second player who took the field.

In recent days, the crows have had a few players come off the injury list, and the large group of players that limped out of the pre-season and into round 1 as underdone as that time I cooked the christmas turkey are now remembering what they are getting paid 200k+ per year for.

From the crows point of view, I'm not sure the 22 that gets onto the field is good enough. I'm not sure if they're fit enough. I'm just not sure. The crows are still playing 2 upgraded rookie list players and the cupboard remains as free of fit bodies ready to step back in as a baby's mouth is free of teeth. (As an aside, I thought my new daughter had been born a port supporter when she arrived into the world devoid of teeth. Despite clarificaiton, I remain suspicious and alert for the sudden appearance of empty longnecks and grubby thongs).

From North's point of view, Anthony being gone is a big deal. If I was north, I'd go hard early and belt some blokes around. If they can jump to a quick lead, the crows could lose heart and capitulate (rounds 1-6, I'm looking at you!). Those speedy half forward flanker types are the key here, the crows have been smashed in that position all year.

This game will be won and lost in the midfield - like every game of AFL in history, so I don't know why the media ever bring that point up. I don't know why I just did.

In summary, I've got no idea what crows team will turn up on Saturday. The crows should win on paper, but that's been the case for every week this year, and the only word to describe the performances so far is: "****".

I'm going to once again back the talent, expect to see some pride in the guernsey and allow myself to be hurt yet again.

They say that to really love, you have to allow yourself to be vulnerable.

Crows by 2 goals.

Can I just say welcome to the board. That is some of the funniest shit I have read from an opposition supporter in ages. Also displays some pretty good, albeit unashamedly Crow-centric, footy nous. :thumbsu:

Caveat: I will turn on you quicker than Maggie T did on Richard whatshisname if your side does the unbearable and continues to make us your bitches.

Excellent "Faceoff" effort there Coopers. Very funny stuff :D

Hopefully you'll have a full understanding of North in 2010 by the end of the game. Our very young and inexperienced midfield versus your older experienced fill in midfield (due to injuries).

You've no idea how badly we want this win.

North by 50pts (geezus I hope I didn't dream that up.........I couldn't take another reaming from the Crows)

I like your taste in beer more than I like your preferred footy team!!

I think Burton in the selected team = a win for North. He's THAT $h1t!

burton to kick 10.

nah just kidding we will belt your lot.
Us by 200102345348975 points

Best. Face Off. Ever.

Waaaaaaay better than that film with Nicholas Cage and The Other Scientologist.

As you so perceptively note, Coopers, the game will indeed be won and lost in the midfield, but ultimately I think the side with the tallest coaching staff will come out on top.

I'm tipping us by 19cms.

Best. Face Off. Ever.

Waaaaaaay better than that film with Nicholas Cage and The Other Scientologist.

my_hair_is_a_bird-257x300.jpg

Disclaimer: I'm only quoting myself because Nick would have wanted it that way.

Excellent post Coopers.

North to win by 52 - our boys will be out for blood for two reasons.

1 - they'll be fired up after the belting dished out by Collingwood last week

2 - New Game, New Era - no more being Adelaide's bitches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So... I clearly had no idea about the in's and outs.
Thinking all out attack and a win by over 39 points.
Tell you what, without Johncock out, 4 goals to Thomas is a pass mark.
And Thompson too! I was at least hoping for a "big bodies in the middle smacking skinny teenagers around" type of advantage.

But No.
Enter Armstrong.
He does have the advantage that if he turns sideways you can't see him. So if he spontaneously develops a strange crab-like running style, it might work out. Otherwise...

Yeah, I tipped North. That Whopper is going to taste goooood. Whenever you mix Mayo and Tomato sauce, and voluntarily reduce your lifespan by a month... it tastes good.

Enter Armstrong.
He does have the advantage that if he turns sideways you can't see him.

If Sam Wright's matched up on Armstrong it'll appear there's only 34 players on the field then, as he's a stick too (although a relative tree trunk compared to his debut year in 2009).

As you so perceptively note, Coopers, the game will indeed be won and lost in the midfield, but ultimately I think the side with the tallest coaching staff will come out on top.

I'm tipping us by 19cms.

We really dodged a bullet by sacking Rocky.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back