Fallout: 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Having this recurring nightmare that Simmo’s take away from the GF will be to continue backing in the older players.
Just seeing the 'oldest ever team' win the flag makes me wonder if like - Selwood, Smith, Danger, Hawkins etc - we had been able to get the same out of all our ageing champs that a total and complete rebuild would now be unnecessary. It's not only S&C but also seeing players are 'managed' whenever necessary even if it means you mightn't put the absolute best team on the park every week.

Now with so many teams, winning say 90% games against teams 9-18 and half the other games is a guarantee of making the finals. Then it is an advantage to have your old midfield champs e.g. Selwood and Danger 'fresh'.

Just seeing the 'oldest ever team' win the flag makes me wonder if like - Selwood, Smith, Danger, Hawkins etc - we had been able to get the same out of all our ageing champs that a total and complete rebuild would now be unnecessary. It's not only S&C but also seeing players are 'managed' whenever necessary even if it means you mightn't put the absolute best team on the park every week.

Now with so many teams, winning say 90% games against teams 9-18 and half the other games is a guarantee of making the finals. Then it is an advantage to have your old midfield champs e.g. Selwood and Danger 'fresh'.
Gotta have the players to do that though. We were barely able to put a team on the park this season let alone rotate them. All the more reason why strength and conditioning should be our #1 priority this offseason. When we have 25-26 players to rotate then sure, we should give it a crack.

Being a Victorian team the cat's don't travel every week and that makes a huge difference to the lifespan of most player's.

Having to hop on the plane instead of into an ice bath means injuries are not treated as quickly.

West Coast and Freo teams both face this and I can't see the current older players taking the team into a premiership. You would think Boots, Redden and Hurn will be gone next year. Yeo who knows.

Being a Victorian team the cat's don't travel every week and that makes a huge difference to the lifespan of most player's.

Having to hop on the plane instead of into an ice bath means injuries are not treated as quickly.

West Coast and Freo teams both face this and I can't see the current older players taking the team into a premiership. You would think Boots, Redden and Hurn will be gone next year. Yeo who knows.

I think that's a good point. Also attitude is another. Kane Cornes rightly pointed out imo that players like yeo, naitanui and mcgovern were carrying too much weight and contributing to their injuries. Given all 3 suffer lower body injuries the extra weight can't be good to carry around on old legs. I believe Simpson has given the boys too much rope with this. If you want less injuries trim down the oldies weight, move some on and inject some youth. It's not all on s and c department.

I'm pretty confident the club will draft OK. As with all clubs there are hits and misses but on the whole I think the drafting had been pretty good. The trading and physical conditioning on the other hand have been a disgrace recently. Very disappointed that these areas were not reviewed.
I don't think you can place too much blame on our strength and conditioning team. Naitainui, mc govern and yeo all were too heavy this year and continue to suffer lower body injuries which is not helped by carrying excess weight as we age. I'd also place responsibility on the players for not taking every step to ensure they remain durable in their twightlight. Unfortunately they are all a year older, not sure how much longer we can keep relying on these broken down bodies whilst we delay larger scale youth exposure.

Was simply comparing how well Geel managed their oldies compared to us.

The oldest team ever at this level. We finished 17th.

I don't think you can place too much blame on our strength and conditioning team. Naitainui, mc govern and yeo all were too heavy this year and continue to suffer lower body injuries which is not helped by carrying excess weight as we age. I'd also place responsibility on the players for not taking every step to ensure they remain durable in their twightlight. Unfortunately they are all a year older, not sure how much longer we can keep relying on these broken down bodies whilst we delay larger scale youth exposure.
If the players are overweight then that reflects very poorly on S&C team. Weight I would consider part of one's conditioning

If the players are overweight then that reflects very poorly on S&C team. Weight I would consider part of one's conditioning
Surely as a pro athlete for 15 years you personally should have a handle on things. From viewing training earlier in the year we had a lot of guys just slowly doing laps & keeping off your ankles you smash it in the gym.

Thing is does the S & C team overrule premiership heroes ? You can't blame it all on the S and C, individuals have responsibility too and shouldn't be walking around with potted guts in their twightlight years. To me this speaks mostly to Adam Simpson the buck stops with the coach.

Gov was in the best shape of his career earlier this year before his injury (which was a collision injury)

Best shape according to who ?

Everyone? Duffield talked about it alot on his pod this year saying he's one who showed great leadership over the off season by returning in the best shape of his career. And his first month or so was in AA form.

Also his season ending injury was a collision injury, it had nothing to do with being "out of shape"

There's plenty of rightful reasons to pot the club and the S&C staff at the moment, don't need to be making stuff up

Gov has never been a physical specimen so to be fair, him being in his "best shape ever" is a pretty low bar 😂

Remember, this is the same Strength and conditioning team that told all and sundry that Nic Nat had a full and uninterrupted pre season and look at his conditioning this year. He total weight and skinfolds would have been at all time highs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thing is does the S & C team overrule premiership heroes ? You can't blame it all on the S and C, individuals have responsibility too and shouldn't be walking around with potted guts in their twightlight years. To me this speaks mostly to Adam Simpson the buck stops with the coach.
Agreed, there's no way the S&C weren't giving the players their off-season programs. Maybe those programs aren't the level of the most well conditioned teams in the league but they'd surely be enough to stop players coming back with the pot bellies.

Coming back like that shows complacency and no real desire to do everything possible to win a premiership which becomes the head coaches responsibility to fix the attitude. No different than previously sending Murray Newman and Jerey McGovern to train away from the main group for not returning in adequate condition.

As a supporter, it's disappointing to have played high-level ammos where our player-imposed team off-season running programs would start in October while working full times jobs not getting paid a cent from football yet players making 6 figures don't seem to have the professionalism to keep the same standards over their much needed 4-6 week break over September/October and 3 week Christmas break.

Gov has never been a physical specimen so to be fair, him being in his "best shape ever" is a pretty low bar

Remember, this is the same Strength and conditioning team that told all and sundry that Nic Nat had a full and uninterrupted pre season and look at his conditioning this year. He total weight and skinfolds would have been at all time highs

Curious as to whether you get a notification every time someone brings up S&C on this board lol. It’s like it’s your very own bat signal.

And I’m here for it

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Curious as to whether you get a notification every time someone brings up S&C on this board lol. It’s like it’s your very own bat signal.

And I’m here for it

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Without ranting, i have long, long believed we are doing ourselves a disservice with a second rate medical and strength and conditioning team. Thankfully, most of our board is now adopting a similar position

But yes, come 2023 look for me to chime in after our weekly injury report :tearsofjoy:

Gov has never been a physical specimen so to be fair, him being in his "best shape ever" is a pretty low bar 😂

Nic Fatinui

Everyone? Duffield talked about it alot on his pod this year saying he's one who showed great leadership over the off season by returning in the best shape of his career. And his first month or so was in AA form.

Also his season ending injury was a collision injury, it had nothing to do with being "out of shape"

There's plenty of rightful reasons to pot the club and the S&C staff at the moment, don't need to be making stuff up
I'm not making stuff up. I'm suggesting players should be lighter as they get to the 30 mark. Mc govern never looks lean to me which is why I mentioned him. Fair enough if he is in better than usual shape but id also like to see a lower weight on the scales to assist old knees and creeping hips.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back