Favourite game sans Grand Final wins

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to say because is it about the payoff, or having a great four quarters?

The game in 2011 (?) vs Adelaide at Marvel was absolute water torture until the 11-goal last quarter.

Collingwood vs Brisbane in 2003 (?) was an all-timer which we won, and had Tarrant’s mark which I consider the best I’ve ever seen. Both teams boasted ridiculous scoring accuracy and we fell in by a goal.

Round 23 of 2022 was my favourite of the comebacks in that sequence of them; the grim reaper game vs Carltank.

The Licuria 42-possession game against Port Adelaide without Buckley was an incredible game, and probably the most inspiring game I’ve seen by an individual Pies player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to go past these two:

Preliminary Final 2018 vs Richmond
  • Cox goes into GOD mode.
  • Defeat the reigning premiers and minor premiers.
  • Our first finals win over Richmond since 1937.
Round 23 2022 vs Carlton
  • One of the greatest H&A victories of all time.
  • Knock Carlton out of the finals after being in the 8 all season.
  • 25 points down in the final quarter, and we pip them by a point.
  • Elliott turning into the ICEMAN again!

Last edited:
Obviously not a pies game, but today’s result reminded me of this gem.

2010 prelim is the best football I've ever seen from a Collingwood team - particularly the first half.

Complete decimation of a very good opponent in a high stakes game. Didn't even give them a chance from the very first minute.

The Pendlebury right foot goal is the loudest roar I've ever heard from a crowd.

outside of finals, 2014 & 2023 ANZAC day games were pretty special. Both comebacks. 2014 we were about 40 points down in the 2nd quarter from memory. We all know what happened last year.

Live it was the 1995 Anzac Day game, spine tingling silence before the game and the sound during the game. Crazy disbelief at the end. And the 2002 Prelim against the Crows was the loudest I’ve ever heard.

The 2010 Prelim was a game that sticks in my mind.

2002 Qualifying Final win against the top of the table Port Adelaide is hard to beat, especially doing it without Nathan Buckley. It took a huge effort from Licuria who gathered 40 disposals while taking Francou out of the game to win it, and we slipped into the schedule that if afforded the top 2 teams (a week off and home prelim).

In terms of the quality of the actual game, the 2007 Prelim is still probably the best game of football I've been to.

In terms of the result for us as Collingwood supporters and the atmosphere and such, then yeah 2010 Prelim is the best.

Both the 2011 and 2023 Prelims were great in terms of atmosphere too as far as closed games go. 2023 was the first time I've been to a Final of that crowd size with almost the entirety of the crowd being Collingwood supporters. The Freo final in 2022 was similar but nowhere near the same level of atmosphere. Not sure why

Remove this Banner Ad

Back