Football Related Random Thread - PART 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I missing something; but a comment on Talking Footy says that the Northern and SA clubs have an advantage over the WA clubs by getting an extra ground via the Round Zero and Gather Rounds respectively. I know the SA clubs get an extra home game but am I missing something because last time I looked we only still get 11 home games but just get an extra bye? Provided I’m right, it does annoy me that these clowns on these shows spout stuff as the truth and rile up the masses when they’re fundamentally wrong.

Am I missing something; but a comment on Talking Footy says that the Northern and SA clubs have an advantage over the WA clubs by getting an extra ground via the Round Zero and Gather Rounds respectively. I know the SA clubs get an extra home game but am I missing something because last time I looked we only still get 11 home games but just get an extra bye? Provided I’m right, it does annoy me that these clowns on these shows spout stuff as the truth and rile up the masses when they’re fundamentally wrong.
The logic is as follows: SA teams get Gather Round and the NSW/Qld clubs have an academy. VIC clubs don't have to travel. Therefore, WA clubs are the most disadvantaged.

The logic is as follows: SA teams get Gather Round and the NSW/Qld clubs have an academy. VIC clubs don't have to travel. Therefore, WA clubs are the most disadvantaged.
Maybe they should be given similar access to their NGA’s as we do with our academies.

Last edited:
No extra home games for the northern states.
Yes, we get an extra bye. It is so early in the year it is probably more of a hinderance than being helpful.
Ours this year was just 2 games into the season after 2 losses.

Lions and Swans each have 11 home games and 12 away. The extra away being Gather round.
Suns have 9 home games and sell 2 home games that they play away.
GWS have 8 home games and sell 3 home games that they play away.

Dockers have 12 home games sort of. The 12th is the Derby with the Eagles so no travel.
Eagles have 12 home games sort of. The 12 is the Derby with the Dockers so no travel.
Eagles and Dockers alternate each year who has the opposition dressing sheds.

No extra home games for the northern states.
Yes, we get an extra bye. It is so early in the year it is probably more of a hinderance than being helpful.
Ours this year was just 2 games into the season after 2 losses.

Lions and Swans each have 11 home games and 12 away. The extra away being Gather round.
Suns have 9 home games and sell 2 home games that they play away.
GWS have 8 home games and sell 3 home games that they play away.

Dockers have 12 home games sort of. The 12th is the Derby with the Eagles so no travel.
Eagles have 12 home games sort of. The 12 is the Derby with the Dockers so no travel.
Eagles and Dockers alternate each year who has the opposition dressing sheds.
I don’t believe the Suns or GWS sell those home games.

The Suns play two games in the NT, since the AFL gave them Darwin as part of their academy zone back in 2019.

And GWS play a few games in Canberra when their Western Sydney ground is being used for other events.

I don’t believe the Suns or GWS sell those home games.

The Suns play two games in the NT, since the AFL gave them Darwin as part of their academy zone back in 2019.

And GWS play a few games in Canberra when their Western Sydney ground is being used for other events.
Both get sold. Canberra pays GWS $2.8m per year for the games + sponsorship. I can't see the going rate for the Suns but "In collaboration with Northern Territory Major Events Company (NTMEC), the Northern Territory Government and the AFL, the SUNS have agreed to play two matches in the NT each year over the next three seasons." - there's definitely cash being chipped in by those entities, given those kind of Major Events entities are all about enticing events via subsidies and payments.

Disagree.....I like the unexpected and disruption it plays out on the ladder. Can benefit some and completely displace another's position. Also, 2pts are better than none after a great game.
Like throwing a cat amongst the pigeons scenario:)

It adds another aspect to the game which is uniquely ours.

I do think it is necessary during the finals though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I take slight issue with the Pies/Lions example. It’s borderline but Neale is already in the process of being tackled prior to gaining possession. Broadly, I’d like to see the time given for prior reduced but also a crack down on scragging and holding. I’d pay that holding against the Pies rather than HtB. Otherwise I think players will err on the side of pre-emptively holding and on the flip side other players won’t want to pick up the ball.

I take slight issue with the Pies/Lions example. It’s borderline but Neale is already in the process of being tackled prior to gaining possession. Broadly, I’d like to see the time given for prior reduced but also a crack down on scragging and holding. I’d pay that holding against the Pies rather than HtB. Otherwise I think players will err on the side of pre-emptively holding and on the flip side other players won’t want to pick up the ball.

Yeah I just look at those videos and see all the missed free kicks

The sheezel one is so funny - no HTB.

OF COURSE THERE IS NO HOLDING THE BALL HE NEVER HAS THE BALL AND HE IS TACKLED WITHOUT IT.

First one: Holding the ball. Probably should be called even sooner.

Second: Arguably holding the man on Neale (there are more egregious examples of this at every second stoppage that absolutely should be penalised), but fair decision when that is disregarded

Third: Absolutely holding the ball. Wish they'd picked an example where the tackled player is the one who is actually holding the ball in himself.

Fourth: Should be holding the man to Sheezel wtf.

Fifth: Play on a fair decision, but wouldn't want to keep possession for too much longer.

A way, way overdue "redefinition" of the HTB no prior law.

Now, for holding the man and push in the back.

Second: Arguably holding the man on Neale (there are more egregious examples of this at every second stoppage that absolutely should be penalised), but fair decision when that is disregarded

Third: Absolutely holding the ball. Wish they'd picked an example where the tackled player is the one who is actually holding the ball in himself.

Fifth: Play on a fair decision, but wouldn't want to keep possession for too much longer.

Ok razor ray

I am totally fine with the change in interpretation if they ever crack down on holding the man. Which they won't!

The issue isn’t holding the ball, it’s the tackle call needs to be sooner. Half those examples was no prior. It’s the umpire lets it go on when the guy with the ball was being tackled straight away. Whoever made that slide show is going to create a massive shitstorm. No one is going to be first to the ball anymore because they’ll be called holding!!

Those more astute at footy than I, Grasshopper, may find this little snippet about how Collingwood plays compared to Hawthorn interesting. I tend not to notice these things until they’re pointed out and these small highlights are quite obvious once pointed out.

I am excited to be able to watch a whole round that we aren’t playing in where umpires all butcher a new interpretation of a rule in such a way that no one knows what is and isn’t OK. Each interpretation will be randomly right or wrong depending on your viewpoint.

No one will be happy and after a few rounds the AFL will consider it all too hard and quietly tell umpires to make it up as they go along and stick with the “vibe” of the tackle so that it keeps the Vic media happy.

As a result, any Daicos, Bont, Danger or other media defined “superstar” who touches a player will get paid. Meanwhile two players from other teams will wrestle for ten seconds before the umpire loses interest and just balls it up.

In other words…same old.

Those more astute at footy than I, Grasshopper, may find this little snippet about how Collingwood plays compared to Hawthorn interesting. I tend not to notice these things until they’re pointed out and these small highlights are quite obvious once pointed out.

This is really interesting stuff, thanks for sharing. Hard to pick up on these things without being live at games or being able to access the behind the goals footage.

The way Mitchell is playing Ginnivan kind of reminds me of the way Richmond positioned Dusty Martin in his prime. How he would start as a midfielder, then after the centre bounce he'd drift forward and a team mate who started forward of the ball would exchange with him in general play to become a midfielder. Melbourne do something similar between Petracca and Neal-Bullen at times.

Ginnivan might not be playing as a midfielder per se. But it would be interesting to see if Hawthorn have someone covering for him, ie whether another forward is being instructed to always stay on the open side of the ground. Or whether they are happy to simply play in straight lines all the time.

It could simply come down to the fact that Collingwood wanted a guy like Elliott or Hill to play the role that Ginnivan is now playing at Hawthorn. Maybe some poor kid at Hawthorn right now is silently complaining about the "dark old days in our forward line" where he is constantly being told to "hold his width" and hardly ever getting a kick as a result.

I think it might be something more often referred to as ‘holding your width’.
Something that Collingwood do very well and something we don’t.
Their wingers and forwards held their width far better than us in the Grand Final and ultimately, what won them the game imo.

Last edited:
I am excited to be able to watch a whole round that we aren’t playing in where umpires all butcher a new interpretation of a rule in such a way that no one knows what is and isn’t OK. Each interpretation will be randomly right or wrong depending on your viewpoint.

No one will be happy and after a few rounds the AFL will consider it all too hard and quietly tell umpires to make it up as they go along and stick with the “vibe” of the tackle so that it keeps the Vic media happy.

As a result, any Daicos, Bont, Danger or other media defined “superstar” who touches a player will get paid. Meanwhile two players from other teams will wrestle for ten seconds before the umpire loses interest and just balls it up.

In other words…same old.
Umpires: E Schrödinger, W Heisenberg, A Einstein

Remove this Banner Ad

Back