Found guilty after putting up a bizarre defence

Remove this Banner Ad

MrsBlueSky

Team Captain
Apr 5, 2024
AFL Club
Tasmania
Has anyone got any stories from court cases from anywhere in the world where a person has put up a weird, whacky, implausible, farfetched, ridiculous or ludicrous defence....and were found to be guilty.

The first nine minutes aren't worth watching, and you may not be interested in the 17 minutes after that but there are some unusual court cases that do not only happen in America:

There was the famous Dan White "Twinkie Defence" where the defence (successfully) argued diminished responsibility.
He was convicted but did receive a lesser sentence.

Just look up any of the sovereign citizens. More along the lines of not recognising the authority of the court as much as anything.
If you want a better explanation of sovereign citizens Tom Tanuki did a couple of videos on his you tube channel.

As a young law student I had to sit in on a District Court session for an assignment. It included the arraignment hearing for one gentleman who insisted on explaining to the judge that all the stolen property found in his backyard was just from criminals dumping it over his fence from the alley that ran past his house.

One of the (many) things he was charged with stealing was a forklift.

I don’t know if he ended up being found guilty or not but if I was placing a bet...

A government employee was charged for taking a government bus (defence) out on weekends and renting it out as a party bus - his defence was that he thought it would help with defence recruiting and should be commended for his innovation.

Didn't quite work out, got the maximum allowed and lost his job.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back