Review GBU vs collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I know the leadership group thing gets a lot of attention on here, but does it actually matter? Don't you just pick a few guys who train well or do a lot of two way running and hard efforts in game and hope that others follow their example?

Anyway if we want on field leaders my pick beyond those you mentioned would be Worrell.
Also, don’t the players actually pick it?

Crouch & Laird are consistently our lowest TOG players excluding subs and injured players.

Usually mid 60% TOG
Because neither of them are played anywhere but on ball - crouch doesn’t have the versatility and laird has been considered our number 1 mid so despite the fact he can play off the hbf he is never played there.
Also deep in their hearts our coaches know that it’s not ideal having both on the ball at the same time hence low tog for both.
Reality is on form crouch should be playing and laird should be dropped but there’s no way out coaches would do that. They barely coped with Smith bring subbed.

Gotta keep the ball away from Jones, Ned, Laird and Rob late in close games.

Use your bench, Nicks.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Or just select Curtin, Taylor and Dowling instead of those first 3 and watch in amazement as the deer in headlights errors by hand and foot magically reduce.

Meh, another close loss to add to the pile.

Unbelievably stupid by Keays to go the glory shot when we were up.

Laird is now sticking out as the weak spot in our midfield. Time to send him back into defence.
I just about jumped the fence at the game when Keays tried that kick...he had two other players he could've given it off to and decides for the around corner kick from 50. Not only is his disposal woeful, his decision making is too. Take him and RoB out of that side and put anyone half-competent in, and we win it. I get RoB is competitive in the ruck, but they should run him straight to the bench after a centre bounce and run someone else on...who may actually mark a ball. Cameron took something like 5 contested marks today, and RoB only one that I can recall...and even that was fumbly. We're about 3 players short of a being a contender...those two above and McSpudly. I don't care if they're great triers, they're simply not good enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I gotta give credit to the Crows who fought back tonight 3 times. That is something.
3 hyper-attacking waves of sustained defence and pressure, coming back from 3, then 5, then again 3 goals down.
I find no solace in that. Another close loss is crushing. We've become the Pies' perennial bunnies.

When we hit the front, what happened, does anyone know?
Blight is long gone but the Crows of 97/98 probably would have won that game by 3 or more goals from 2 points up with 7.19 to play.
7:19 to play. That's a lot of time left.
How'd they get in front? Defensive pressure and attacking mindset.

I think a winning Coach would have sent word out to keep attacking, run, play on at all costs, build on that lead.
There was only one way to win that game at that time and that was to keep doing what they were doing.
INCREASE that lead. You know, get ahead, stay ahead.
I don't doubt they had the fitness to run it out and leave nothing in the tank out there.

After losses of 5, 2 and 1 points in the last 3 games I'd hope our Coach would have reviewed those games, planned for a similar scenario, then drilled the boys on how to win the next one.
But, now we have Nicks :poov1:, who is a losing Coach with losing selection policies, losing youth development, losing emphasis on slowdown chip-chip defence, and losing favoritism for underperforming senior players but, gee, they all get along so well :grimacing:.

Last edited:
I couldn’t be arsed listening to all of Nicks’ presser

Did anyone ask him what we’re doing about these slow starts that mean we’re chasing our tail all day?

The umpires have never actually called it based on length. Not since the days of lace-up jumpers. It's ALWAYS been based on steps, and generally the players are allowed to get up to 19-20 steps before it actually gets called.

There are only two possibilities here. Either the umpire somehow missed that Rankine had bounced it, or else he was itching to blow the whistle and just decided to do it regardless of how far Rankine ran. There is 0% chance that he actually paid it based on the distance ran between Rankine's bounce and his kick.

Someone said earlier that that run would get let go 9 times out of 10... more like 99 times out of 100! I'm willing to bet there hasn't been a single "ran too far" call paid off 14 steps for the entire season so far.

And hell, god forbid the umpires start paying "ran too far" based on the distance they regularly pay as valid marks!
Put it this way, the Collingwood crowd wasn’t calling too far yet!

Good - Rankine, Soligo, backline (although they had a makeshift line-up).
Bad, forward line movement (or lack thereof)...Tex looks like he needs a rest badly, there were countless times when the ball hit the ground and he was treacle slow, even Frampton was waltzing away from him. The delivery wasn't great either. 58 I50's for 11.8 is a poor return.
Ugly - the umps potentially deciding another loss for us, and lack of composure from our group when it counted.

Sadly I knew it was going to happen, even when Rankine kicked that blinder. The one thing that sticks in my mind is the Collingwood chant that sprang up with a few minutes to go. Their players suddenly walked taller and it felt as though they'd find a way. Be nice if we could emulate that at our home games instead of the usual timid, quiet response we usually get when we fall behind.

Not sure it helps with the pain of the loss but Rankine didn’t run too far. Suspect ump didn’t see the bounce - but that goes to my pet peeve, when umps guess, they need to trust players more.

No guarantee that no free kick against Rankiine = crows score as we are experts at collapsing play when needed. Nevertheless would prefer a less questionable outcome.

For your sake I hope this doesn’t create indecision on Nicks - this far in you are either all in or all out.

Regards

S. Pete

When they hit the front, what happened, does anyone know?
Blight is long gone but the Crows of 97/98 probably would have won that game by 3 or more goals from 2 points up with 7.19 to play.
7:19 to play. That's a lot of time left.
How'd they get in front? Defensive pressure and attacking mindset.
I said earlier in the game thread that Collingwood - with 2 rotations down had 2 choices - go hard for 10 minutes build a 4 goal lead and try and hang on

They chose to try and slow the game down - until we hit the lead - then went back to full press for the last 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back