Fixture Hawks after Tasmania? Sponsorship extended to 2025!

What to do with Tas games?

• MCG

Votes: 185 84.1%
  • Darwin

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Albury

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Auckland

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Canberra

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Marvel

Votes: 14 6.4%
  • Elsewhere

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • Cairns

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be interesting does the fact the deal for a liscence mean the extra 2 years get added on or what happens if politics means the stadium can’t be built so the team falls over?

There is a lot to be sorted out still, dont reckon there will be any developments here this year. The stadium won’t fall over.

Thought this would be the perfect thread to ask even if its been sitting stagnet for a year, if it seems like the JLN and Greens who are anti stadium will have the balance of power so the stadium (and you assume team) wont go ahead, where the heck does it leave this deal...

Don’t reckon there is any change in the likelihood of the team happening after the election. Libs still operating as a minority government. They have a strange system down there. Reckon the 170k members the team has will help a little to push things along.

Upgrading UTAS means that they can happily play 7 Launceston 4 Bellerieve until the new stadium is built.

If the Libs don't retain government, can't imagine ALP doing anything to jeopardise the new team coming in

I hope the club is red hot on guaranteeing this in the fixture with the AFL moving forward. We need to maximize our strong Tassie supporter base - and this is a great opportunity to commercialize it for decades in the process.

I hope the club is red hot on guaranteeing this in the fixture with the AFL moving forward. We need to maximize our strong Tassie supporter base - and this is a great opportunity to commercialize it for decades in the process.
So is the ask 1 home game at UTAS per year against the Devils? I don't mind the idea I just think the Tassie government would be stupid not to pour all the money they have available into the devils

So is the ask 1 home game at UTAS per year against the Devils? I don't mind the idea I just think the Tassie government would be stupid not to pour all the money they have available into the devils

Who knows where the cards lie, but I think the ask would be to guarantee one “marquee game” against Tassie, per year. If done well, it could easily be up there with Easter Monday as a big ticket game for us.

Who knows where the cards lie, but I think the ask would be to guarantee one “marquee game” against Tassie, per year. If done well, it could easily be up there with Easter Monday as a big ticket game for us.
Yep i'm onboard with this idea, but I think the club needs to quickly solve the sponsor hole of $5m per year we currently get from TAS govt.. The membership number is easily accounted for when you spread the ~$200 p/a on 8,000 TAS members across the existing ~70,000 VIC members.. I'll be furious if we continue to play multiple home games at UTAS in front of small crowds once the Devils come into the league, if we want to compete with the big VIC clubs we need to behave like one

Yep i'm onboard with this idea, but I think the club needs to quickly solve the sponsor hole of $5m per year we currently get from TAS govt.. The membership number is easily accounted for when you spread the ~$200 p/a on 8,000 TAS members across the existing ~70,000 VIC members.. I'll be furious if we continue to play multiple home games at UTAS in front of small crowds once the Devils come into the league, if we want to compete with the big VIC clubs we need to behave like one

I hear you. I wouldn’t be against 2 home games at UTAS if the finances work, but either way - will be interested to see Gowers’s plan soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rediculous to give up home ground advantage to another team. The crowd will be 80% against us, and by year two the Tassie players will be more familiar with the ground than ours.

This is not a good idea. If we do it, let’s hope it is very short term.

We are also keen on Cairns, but right now we need to be pushing for more MCG games like Essendon and Carlton are.

At most sign a four year deal to play one game in Launceston. Not keen on Cairns unless the AFL is supportive and give us nine MCG home games like every other tenant (Dees and Tigers get 10!).

How much money does the QLD Govt pour into Gold Coast? Or the NSW govt pour into GWS?

It’s not the job of a government to spend money on a national league sporting team is it?

How much money does the QLD Govt pour into Gold Coast? Or the NSW govt pour into GWS?

It’s not the job of a government to spend money on a national league sporting team is it?
Haven't the Victorian state government just committed to spending 4 mil on the scoreboard at Kardinia Park?

TAS govt pouring plenty into the new stadium at MP in Hobart to get the team over the line.. doubt the plan is to keep sponsoring us and if it is they're idiots

That wasn’t the question. It was about NSW / Qld investing in expansion teams.
My comment was in relation to the 2nd part of your post
“It’s not the job of a government to spend money on a national league sporting team is it?”

Yeah I don't think a Home Game in Tassie is a good idea in the long term - maybe for the first couple of years but only maybe.

IMO needs to be 11 games at MCG/Marvel - up to our supporters to support that.

We now have a better deal at the MCG with Collingwood losing some of their rights to the Ponsford Stand.

Playing home games in Queensland creating longer flight times too...

Especially as there might be more than one gather round type thing each year.
3 was always the optimum for tassie I thought
Indeed. We would end up travelling for more than half of our games.

Dees and Cats have usurped is as the next biggest clubs in Vic after the Big4. We need to reclaim that and lock in our place as a big MCG club in the next few years as our form improves.

Indeed. We would end up travelling for more than half of our games.

Dees and Cats have usurped is as the next biggest clubs in Vic after the Big4. We need to reclaim that and lock in our place as a big MCG club in the next few years as our form improves.

Geelong don’t want the MCG. Carlton and Essendon wanting less Marvel games is major threat

Geelong don’t want the MCG. Carlton and Essendon wanting less Marvel games is major threat
It is madness that Tigers and Dees get 10 MCG home games and we get six. Blues and Dons want six, will end up with five.

And if the Cats don’t want to host Easter Monday @ MCG, we should ask to play Essendon or Carlton instead.

Back