How to get into the vfl (curiosity)?

Remove this Banner Ad

RMercadi

Senior List
Jul 31, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
How good do you need to be to play at VFL level ???
I have 3 20 year olds in mind who are all good players but running around in the amateurs.
1. Good solid player who didnt quite make TAC a couple of years ago but has grown and improved a bit since then
2. Played for Geelong Falcons for two years as a kpf. Probably about 10th best down there.
3. Never played TAC but good school footballer. Not quite as good as 2. above, but is a great athlete (14.9 beep, 2.92 sprint and a great leap on him).

Do you have to be a champion at TAC Cup level or do you think the 3 above could give it a go ???

Franc de Borges

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 5, 2010
Behind Sunglasses
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Australia
A non-aligned club would give you a far better chance of playing seniors, and therefore potentially being drafted or rookie-listed if you were very good and very lucky.

If you aren't trying to play senior VFL footy then you're wasting your time as VFL reserves is far inferior to senior football in a strong local competition. Some of the fittest and most skilled players I ever saw were at VFL level, but you soon realise just how useless those traits are when bigger and more aggressive players (many on AFL lists) knock them out of the way.

It gives you a great appreciation for the job of an AFL player and how very few would do it if it weren't for the serious financial rewards.

wri0013

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2011
Broadford
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal
I don't know much about the VFL. I just want to play competitive footy.

I will guesstimate around the 10-13 minute mark for the 2-3km run?
It's not about being a marathon anymore, if you want to get fit for footy do some HIIT (High Intensity Interval training.) I did a 12 minute session today and it felt like I had been for a 5 km run, and that's what they do at VFL training instead of 3km time trials and stuff.

my father rocked up at williamstown had no experience in playing the game and asked to be taught and play for williamstown. they had a training session from there he was taught how to play and played for williamstown. that was a while back but no harm in asking and seeing how you go. the way i see if vfl is no different to any other local footy club. just ask and go from there.

Mitchh110

Draftee
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Generally there are try out days and quite a few players come down for the pre-season, they play a few games, go on a pre-season camp, and from there coaches decide who they'd like to keep

GM's and Football Managers are easily the best way to find out about these days, generally a lot of people are identified on them

I work at Coburg, we've only had about 5 guys from TAC Cup come in, 1 from WA, 1 ex-AFL, 1 off another VFL club, and the rest from local clubs wanting to have a crack at VFL footy, so if you're keen there are definitely ways to get in. If they want you they sign you up, put you in so that you have a local interchange club, and if you don't make the development or senior side you go and just play for your local side
How do you get into try out days?

Jun 2, 2011
Ringwood
AFL Club
Richmond
How do you get into try out days?

Generally you have to email the club, hope they are having one and that you've got enough of a resume to play at VFL level

I'd say your best bet would be email several clubs, with a brief outline of what you've done, and see if they are having a try out day, or ask if you can go down and start the pre-season with them

Where abouts have you been playing this year?

Obi fella

Cancelled
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Williamstown
Screenshot_2015-10-22-08-37-08.png

pot shot

Rookie
Oct 22, 2015
Moonee Ponds
AFL Club
Essendon
My older brother did it even though he had a year out. Never played TAC Cup, just suburban footy. He was at a VFL club for one season and got about six games, but kind of hated the experience. It's very amateur and the admin and politics is no different to your local club. But then there is the allure of a bit of cash and playing against guys on an AFL list (which gets old after your first match).

Unless you're really good, or invited, and about 19-21, don't worry.

Dannybrock2001

Draftee
Apr 7, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Call up the gm of whichever vfl club you want to join. You may have a meeting/training session and you go from there depending on how you go.

hey Is it possible to get noticed by a vfl club playing in the kdfnl football league I was told by my senior coach Dennis grints who coached pioneers that I was but I’m not sure what to do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back