List Mgmt. In the Gun

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 16, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
Whilst there’s still plenty of time for some to turn it around we’re starting to more of what McRae wants out of players and can clearly see his style play. Some players have fit this style like a glove whilst others look like they’ll struggle to adapt. Here’s my list:

Nathan Murphy - out of contract this year and hasn’t shown much since he was picked up in the 2017 draft. Some of that is due to injury, luck definitely hasn’t gone his way here but he’s been given opportunities and has taken them. He’s at that awkward spot where he’s too slow and not skilled enough to play as a flanker and not strong enough to play as a key position player. He’s been tried as a defender, winger and forward and hasn’t looked close to being AFL relevant in either of those. He’s best bet to make it was under Buck’s slower defensive game plan but his lack of overheard ability and injuries made it hard. Now that he’s injured and McRae has moved to faster game plan I can’t see him being retained beyond the end of the year. Delist.

Trent Bianco - Has shown a bit through his VFL and AFL form last season but has struggled this season. Whilst he has displayed good skills before they have seemed to have abandoned him his year. Another one who doesn’t seem to suit McRae’s faster game plan with lack of size and pace hurts him dearly. He still has time to turns things around and find the from that got him games at the back end of last year but even if he does I think there are other flankers that suit McRae better plus the obvious roles he could play are occupied buy the Daicos brother who can do everything he does but better. Delist.

Will Kelly - Has spent a fair bit of time on the list and played at both end grounds, whilst he’s been injured for large chunks of that he has also failed to show much promise during the time he’s on the field. Atm he looks like he’s trying to become the next Ben Reid with the skills of Jack Frost. Defensively hasn’t been solid and ball in hand his decision making has been downright horrible. He’ll have to turn it around very quickly but I think his time is done. Delist.

Callum Brown - he’s a great VFL mid but that form doesn’t translate to AFL. Doesn’t have the composure or the size to play inside at AFL level and the less said about his forward craft the better. Delist.

Tyler Brown - was touted as the brother with higher potential but has achieved even less at AFL level. Unlike Callum his VFL form does translate to AFL where he can barely find the ball at either level despite mainly playing on ball. He can occasionally fly high though so he has one trick Callum doesn’t have and did have a decent game in the VFL last week so maybe he’s turning it around but I think it too little too late now. Delist.

Isaac Chugg - haven’t seen much of him so it hard for me to make a call but he hasn’t been too great in the VFL this season. Looks to have a decent build and good pace so maybe he could nail down a pressure forward or lockdown defender role. Keep pending VFL form.

Jack Madgen - A name that will be on most people’s lists but I’ll give my verdict early and say we’ll keep him. He’s proven to be a solid option under two coaches and continually proves he’s a better option then the players trying to push him out. He has allot of weaknesses as player, not strong enough to play to tall and not quick enough to play short but seems to do alright playing on a medium playing off his man going for a third up spoil. Whilst he’s nothing special he seems to be a coaches favourite so unless he get pushed far down the pecking order by Ruscoe, McMahon and Dean I think he’ll be kept for depth at worst. Keep.

Tom Wilson - Has shown a bit at both end in VFL level but doesn’t seem to have sure enough hands, strength or pace to make it at the AFL level. As an inbetween type will be hard to find a role. Delist.

Will Hoskin-Elliott. A solid option who possesses pace, good marking and skill. His problem is he doesn’t get involved enough in games. Whilst he’s shown he can do that on a wing or at half back coaches have never trusted him to play that role for long so he gets relegated to a lead and mark and forward who doesn’t have the physicalilty to win one on ones and doesn’t get the delivery when on the lead. He probably stays but I’d look to trade him to club that can use him better to free up cap space and develop other players in his spot. Trade.

Mason Cox or Darcy Cameron - will give them the same spot since one will stay as ruck depth and I think enough has been said about them, I don’t have anything to add to the debate except Cox is more involved but stuffs up more involvements, Cameron drops less marks and converts better up forward. Pick your poison. I think Mason Cox will go home if he spend another year in the VFL. Keep Cameron, Retire Cox.

Steele Sidebottom - I think it will be time to give him the tap on the shoulder at year end. Premsierhsip player so he’ll always be a legend. Looked revitalised in the first couple of round under McRae but has regressed back to 2020-21 from in recent rounds. Plays on the wing but how long can he justify that spot when it’s potentially better served to develop either Poulter or Macrae in. He doesn’t some creative things to open up the game and can go forward and score but he put two many teammates under pressure trying to be too clever and get caught to much since he’s lost a yard. Retire.

Others that could retire are Howe and Roughead but I’d try and keep them, I think they can be AFL relevant for longer given their roles.

Last edited:
Still early in the Season to make that kind of Calls quite Yet.

They keep Picking Madgen so sadly I can't see him going at the Moment.

Chugg be in Trouble at the Moment as he be Very Low on Depth Chart

Cox should Retire

Callum Brown can go but I might give Tyler maybe a 1 Year Deal as still bit of Hope for him to do a Josh Daicos

Ruscoe no Certainty at the Moment

Still early in the Season to make that kind of Calls quite Yet.

They keep Picking Madgen so sadly I can't see him going at the Moment.

Chugg be in Trouble at the Moment as he be Very Low on Depth Chart

Cox should Retire

Callum Brown can go but I might give Tyler maybe a 1 Year Deal as still bit of Hope for him to do a Josh Daicos

Ruscoe no Certainty at the Moment
Josh Daicos always had ability, he just needed to develop a tank and be be backed to take a role on the wing. I don’t see the same ability in Tyler.

I don’t know how reliable footywire is but it tells me Ruscoe’s contract runs out in 2023. So unless he really sounds it up I think he’s pretty safe.

Josh Daicos always had ability, he just needed to develop a tank and be be backed to take a role on the wing. I don’t see the same ability in Tyler.

I don’t know how reliable footywire is but it tells me Ruscoe’s contract runs out in 2023. So unless he really sounds it up I think he’s pretty safe.
Yes, he's there until the end of next year, at least: Pies' rebuild continues, Saints open to trading pressure forward
1650272568579.png
Ruscoe has made a rather disappointing start to this season (missing a couple of games didn't help), but showed a fair bit in the second half of last year, so should have an opportunity to get himself going again.

i was saying that if we kept him it would mean that it will be a very slow and steady rebuild......and will probably rely on us bottoming out for a couple of years..
All depends on his replacement, the 3 candidates in Dean, McMahon and Kelly aren't ready yet but one could step up before then, my money is on McMahon, he's got the size and moves well.

The hardest part with Bianco is the lack of footy over the last two years. I'd give him this year and next to prove his worth.
Cameron I'd keep over Cox, younger, better footy brain and accurate.
Madgen will be gone once Dean comes on. He's 29 this year. We need Dean, Ruscoe and McMahon to come on. Interestingly enough, Ruscoe is listed as 193, Madgen 192. Teach Ruscoe to be a lock down key back and boom, no need for Madge.
Chugg will probably go.
Murphy will go, another Hine failure.
The Brown brothers aren't up to it, it's a shame, but they are taking up two list spots.
Will Kelly may end up with another year as long as he can get his body right but I reckon he's nearly cooked. Age is on his side.
Wilson is a very plain player, offers nothing.
I love Steele, but I think this year may be his last, same and WHE.
We have too many 'project' players. Stick to drafting footballers.
Start drafting based on needs and not names.
We need to make space for needs, forwards and defenders.
Beau McCreery is a great little forward, I would love to add another crumber for some forward spark. We seem to be ok for defenders, but once Roughy retires we have a hole to fill, Dean would be ideal but still young.

I’m not sure how you came to that conclusion.

because if we transition really slow, even moore will be retired by the time we get a good enough team in place.
All depends on his replacement, the 3 candidates in Dean, McMahon and Kelly aren't ready yet but one could step up before then, my money is on McMahon, he's got the size and moves well.

and this is just one example... kelly isnt up for it. McMahon is a possibility as is Dean... but chances are that either or both wont be up to standard.

just look at freo. They have taken a steady approach and now look like they could make the finals after dropping like a hot spud post 2016.

because if we transition really slow, even moore will be retired by the time we get a good enough team in place.

and this is just one example... kelly isnt up for it. McMahon is a possibility as is Dean... but chances are that either or both wont be up to standard.

just look at freo. They have taken a steady approach and now look like they could make the finals after dropping like a hot spud post 2016.
To be fair our window doesn't really open til 2026 at the earliest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think McMahon projects as a player who can hold down key position in defence? At the moment at least his body strength needs to improve for that role.

I wonder if he is better of as a third tall defender while his body develops and perhaps develop towards a more responsible role in time. I think that's a little while off if he gets there.

Do you think McMahon projects as a player who can hold down key position in defence? At the moment at least his body strength needs to improve for that role.

I wonder if he is better of as a third tall defender while his body develops and perhaps develop towards a more responsible role in time. I think that's a little while off if he gets there.
Dean strikes me as that 3rd intercepting tall, Kelly I've almost lost all hope for but at least he is young, so it really just leaves Macca. fingers crossed

To be fair our window doesn't really open til 2026 at the earliest.

freo has taken 6 years just to get ready for finals...melb has had a decade since paul roos took over....carlton has been on its rebuild for at least 8 years probably since the start of brendan bolton....essendon thought their rebuild post hird was ready to go and now we know that they still need more time. ...when did brisbane sack lepers and start their rebuild?...

years and years.....and if you take it slow by not getting rid of older players like roughead then it will take a long time..

since we dont draft key position players, we'll just have to kid ourselves that he will be able to stand charlie dixon..

Still early but let’s see how Maynard’s season plays out.

Undisciplined act in pre season (whether you agree with the suspension or not).

I do not see him becoming a great mid - disposal is terrible.

Would be interested to see his value in the trade market.

Agree with most of the others listed. I do not understand what position Wilson is meant to be? His best piece of play in his career was that crumbing goal. Other than that he has looked average at best.

I am probably his last remaining fan but I still believe in Tyler Brown as an inside midfielder.

At year end I would have a crack at Matt Rowell - has not progressed and might possibly be able to get a deal done? Tom Green is also a beast but value would be high.

freo has taken 6 years just to get ready for finals...melb has had a decade since paul roos took over....carlton has been on its rebuild for at least 8 years probably since the start of brendan bolton....essendon thought their rebuild post hird was ready to go and now we know that they still need more time. ...when did brisbane sack lepers and start their rebuild?...

years and years.....and if you take it slow by not getting rid of older players like roughead then it will take a long time..
It's around 7 years if you do it right, do it wrong and you languish mid ladder and need to start again, ideally you want the majority of your guns between 24 and 28 when you hit the window, which is a bit worrisome for us because Moore De Goey and Maynard are already 26 and Crisp and Adams 28. At best we are hoping Moore and De Goey are still guns at 30 and N Daicos McInnes Macrea Hunt Poulter etc have matured into our elite players, but demographically we are off to a very ordinary start.

Last edited:
limit to number of players on list...keep old player...young player doesnt get drafted
On the flip side, a key position defender coming in to play next to Roughead will have a much easier time adapting to the AFL and can be fast tracked quicker.

Most players who get drafted don’t make it anyways so it’s less recycling through dead wood.

hawthorn has tried to go for faster rebuild by getting rid of senior players and they are still a couple of years away from it...and they've been at it for a few years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back