Toast Jack Redden - Retired 2022. Thank you Red Dog

Remove this Banner Ad

1664507627522.png

Last edited:
Thanks Reddog!

Were going to miss his consistency each week and his hardness around contests this year. Loved how he was always up for a scrap, hopefully one of the young guys can step up to the plate now.

Jack Redeen has been good for us. I highly doubt he will want to play for us during a rebuild. I wonder if he is willing to be an assistant for us

One of my favourites reliability wise, especially in the last few years where getting Shuey and Yeo on the deck has been tougher than it should be. Cheers for the hard work Reddo, earned that premiership medallion well and truly.

On a sidenote, does the club give him life membership? He didn’t play the required games but surely he gets it for his performance in 2018.

One of my favourites reliability wise, especially in the last few years where getting Shuey and Yeo on the deck has been tougher than it should be. Cheers for the hard work Reddo, earned that premiership medallion well and truly.

On a sidenote, does the club give him life membership? He didn’t play the required games but surely he gets it for his performance in 2018.

Should come with the premiership medal

Honestly reckon he has more to offer next season than Shuey and Gaff combined. Very surprised to see him call time, although it was probably due to not wanting to play in a near repeat of 2022.

Edit: Will go down as out best late first round pick trade acquisition during the 2015/16 off-season, was rapt when we got him and he didn't disappoint.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His 2018 was sublime. And then he lifted again for the finals.

There's a few oldies I would have preferred to have retired first. but this is the act of a supremely selfless club man.
It's interesting because he might not have been as good as some blokes on our premiership list (although he was still a bloody good player) but his style of play is more or less the archetypcal one you want in a senior player through a rebuild. Tough, uncompromising, tackles hard and gets every last bit out of himself. Basically, the perfect example you want to set to a teenager coming into the system who might have all the talent in the world but needs to see that talent alone will only get you so far.

Congrats to him on a fantastic career. 260 games, a flag, player of the finals in a flag year and had his best year in a flag year. Can't really ask for much more than that. At the time, it was probably the trade we didn't realise we needed - he added some much needed steel and consistency around a midfield that was good but not great and was definitely on the shallow side when compared to other flag contenders.

It will be interesting to see if he goes down the coaching route. It's a bit cliched for sure and not a guarantee for success but he ticks a lot of boxes that clubs look for when blokes retire - talented but not insanely talented, got the most out of himself, humble, part of high-performing setups etc.

P.S. That video is brilliant. WHY SO GRUMPY!!!

He wasn’t an elite mid but he was such a versatile midfielder than was a bloody good in and under player with the craft to do so but was equally great on the outside with his endurance and high work rate.

Our player/s of the Finals series in 2018 were him and Sheeda. Pre finals sheed was out of sorts and barely 22. Come finals they made the switch where they moved Sheed to more of an inside role and Reddo outside to emulate Gaff. Sheed ended up finding his form again and Redden took his game to another level as an outside mid.

Another thing about Redden that was unlike other ‘no frills inside types’ was that his kicking to forwards was often delicious, and he was a very reliable set shot for goal.
I do think Redden had a bit of nous and Class to be even a better mid tbh but he played his role to perfection in our glory days

Will be missed, great work ethic. He's been a solid contributor especially over the last couple of years, he stepped up when needed. Not a flashy player but consistently solid and improved over the years. Hope we have a couple more like him coming through.
Thought he had another year in him, but at 31, a fair call!

Has been a good player for us. Always will be remembered as an Eagles premiership player.
Probably had another year in him but opens up another midfield spot to develop a mid

This is s**t, probably our best performed mid for the year and he did it playing team first roles.

I loved Red dog, selfless, played for others and changed his game to suit the team when he couldn't get in the centre as much as he probably could have done in his prime.

One of our only players who can handball to a team mate's advantage, on either side of his body, when completely off balance.

Definitely not the retirement I would have expected and I would say given he doesn't take a primary mid position all that often, nor that he underperformed when he did, that this retirement isn't necessarily "good for the team".

He's reliable, durable, fit, strong tackler, good in traffic and knows how to find space for an uncontested mark. Pretty neat kick on him as well.

Will be missed by me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back