Delisted Matthew Bate

Remove this Banner Ad

Could be a 40-60 goal a year HFF once we get the tall timber for him to play around. Is also able to push into the midfield for spurts which is encouraging when we want a bigger body for stoppages.

Saw him at training on the 8th January 2010- and he has bulked up tremendously. Really looks like he has put in a very good pre season.Muscled up for a BIG year.

Saw him at training on the 8th January 2010- and he has bulked up tremendously. Really looks like he has put in a very good pre season.Muscled up for a BIG year.

I guess that's good news, but IMO Bate is almost at that inbetween size, as in not big enough to be a genuine KPF, but maybe too big to be that hard-running O'Keefe type HF/mid.

If he's bulked up a heap, maybe Bailey and co will try him as a key forward again.

Hi The Dr,
Understand your thoughts and actually agree with you .In looking as past top Forwards in the last 20 years- Wayne Carey was 192 & 97 kgs,Tony Lockett was 191 & 112 kgs, David Neitz- 191 & 100 kgs, Metthew Lloyd- 192 & 93 kgs ,Jason Dunstall was 188 & 98 kgs .These are in comparison to Matt Bate whom was 192 & 90 kgs.I believe he would now be close to 93kg but would need to still build up over the next couple of years like the rest of the team.
However, as you know Gary Lyon played on a wing for many years before becoming a forward(mainly full forward) .He played at 193 & 96 kgs , so therefore not too much to go & at 22 , not 23 till May 2010 has time on his side.With a forward line rotating like HF: Green Watts Miller
F.F. Davey Bate Jurrah and also throw in other crumbers like Wonaeamirri and Maric goes well for a forward line. Also, I am told that Garland is truly thought of as a key forward really cements a very good forward line. With youngsters like Tapscott ,Fitzpatrick & Gysberts putting on pressure along with rookies- Newton & Hughes ,all I can say Go Dees- bring it on. Masterbate go get them.

Hi The Dr,
Understand your thoughts and actually agree with you .In looking as past top Forwards in the last 20 years- Wayne Carey was 192 & 97 kgs,Tony Lockett was 191 & 112 kgs, David Neitz- 191 & 100 kgs, Metthew Lloyd- 192 & 93 kgs ,Jason Dunstall was 188 & 98 kgs .These are in comparison to Matt Bate whom was 192 & 90 kgs.I believe he would now be close to 93kg but would need to still build up over the next couple of years like the rest of the team.
However, as you know Gary Lyon played on a wing for many years before becoming a forward(mainly full forward) .He played at 193 & 96 kgs , so therefore not too much to go & at 22 , not 23 till May 2010 has time on his side.With a forward line rotating like HF: Green Watts Miller
F.F. Davey Bate Jurrah and also throw in other crumbers like Wonaeamirri and Maric goes well for a forward line. Also, I am told that Garland is truly thought of as a key forward really cements a very good forward line. With youngsters like Tapscott ,Fitzpatrick & Gysberts putting on pressure along with rookies- Newton & Hughes ,all I can say Go Dees- bring it on. Masterbate go get them.

You are comparing him to players of a different era (to a lesser extent Nieta and Lloyd). You need to be lighter on your feet in todays game and have a great running capacity than ever before. The game is a lot quicker you need to be fitter to make more contests, stop your opponents running off, and be able to play in different roles.

Gone are the days were defenders just defended, now they are expected to run off and attack aswell. You also need to be able to play different positions on the ground, for bate he could easily play out of the square, across half forward or in the middle. I would say 92-93 kgs would be an ideal weight for him.

Round 2 Vs Collingwood

Kicks: 8
Handballs: 8
Marks: 7
Tackles: 1
Free Kicks: 0
Contested Possessions: 3
Uncontested Possessions: 13
Clangers: 2
Goals: 0
Behinds: 0

It was another poor game for Bate on the weekend in 2 games so far this year he hasnt kicked a score. I thought in patches he was starting to show a bit.

I know a few people have said that he should be dropped but i think we should keep playing him and hopefully in the next few weeks he can get back to his best. I just think he is a vital part up in the forward line at present and in the future.

I agree, keep him in the side. I also feel suddenly guilty that I dropped off on the match reports towards the end of last season

fwiw Bates' last five rounds were all 8's and I gave his season as a whole a 7.75

Round 3 Vs Adelaide

Kicks: 10
Handballs: 6
Disposals: 16
Marks: 6
Tackles: 2
Free Kicks: 1FF, 1FA
Contested Possessions: 2
Uncontested Possessions: 15
Clangers: 3
Goals: 2

I thought on the weekend he was starting to show signs of getting his game back on track good to see he kicked a few goals also.

I still think he keeps his spot.

Round 4 Vs Richmond

Kick: 13
Handballs: 5
Disposals: 18
Marks: 9
Tackles: 4
Free Kicks: 0FF,1FA
Contested Possessions: 6
Uncontested Possessions: 11
Clangers: 3
Goals: 3
Behinds: 2

A much better game from Bate last few weeks he is getting more involved in the play.

Also good to see that he is starting to kick some goals over the past few weeks after a slow start to the year.

Round 4 Vs Brisbane

Kick: 12
Handballs: 14
Disposals: 26
Marks: 11
Free Kicks: 0FF,0FA
Contested Possessions: 11
Clangers: 1
Goals: 1
Behinds: 1

Round 4 Vs Brisbane

Kick: 12
Handballs: 14
Disposals: 26
Marks: 11
Contested Possessions: 11
Clangers: 1
Behinds: 1

I can't think of a better game he has played. If we could get this type of performance every week he will never lose his spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 4 Vs North Melbourne

Kick: 4
Handballs: 4
Disposals: 8
Marks: 2
Tackles: 2
Contested Possessions: 5
Uncontested Possessions: 3
Clangers: 0

Couldnt get near it on the weekend he wasnt the only one tho, Hopefully he will bounce back tonight.

Disappointing season after a good season last year. Our forward line really looked slow with him in it this year, he doesn't take enough marks either. Another player who should be put on the trade table. 3\10

Matthew Bate's 2011 Review:
Todd Viney said:
He had a frustrating year and didn’t get many AFL opportunities, but his attitude towards playing in the VFL was outstanding. He was really consistent, and was a step above the competition at VFL level. Matthew started to play in the midfield in the VFL late in the year. He knocked down the door with 38 disposals for Casey in the game before the final AFL round. He then forced his way into the AFL as a big-bodied midfielder against Port Adelaide and did well. So, that might be another string to his bow, as well as being a forward.
http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/124358/default.aspx

Fair go, would people stop having a crack at Bate in the review. He played one quarter and showed a hell of a lot more than a few others. Scapegoat, clearly.

Fair go, would people stop having a crack at Bate in the review. He played one quarter and showed a hell of a lot more than a few others. Scapegoat, clearly.

Skipped over most of the review, but really? He tried hard and did a good job, would have liked him on the park for much longer. Definitely will keep his spot, unless Neeld is concerned about team balance which wouldn't be surprising.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back