Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

And yet, in the PS chats .....I doubt there was one poster on this Board, who didn't think we'd make the Final 8 .....so everyone was more or less happy with list .....and now it's a crap list 🤣

Let's phrase it better ....our list is lacking depth, be it talent, or youth that is undeveloped

Do you even read what other people post? Lots of posters had us missing the 8, 1/4 in the predictions thread for a start.

27D8C0B9-F172-4F85-92E3-5D1064118461.png

Do you understand the concept of "Shape" ?
Following the game plan and being in the right position is the absolute bare minimum ability of any AFL player on any list

It's like being able to run. If you can't stand somewhere useful on the field or can't run you shouldn't be on a list

It starts and finish's with the selection of Crouch !!

What got him a run of games in 2023, and in his own words "his work-on" .......he now has reverted to the player who couldn't get picked

Always gets possessions .....the team will never progress whilst he's in the midfield ....as David King said recently, if you can't play multiple roles, you're a dead AFL Footballer

Nicks has to recognise this .....OR, he's tanking for an elite MID in the Draft
Laird is the one that needs to go out of the two.

Following the game plan and being in the right position is the absolute bare minimum ability of any AFL player on any list

It's like being able to run. If you can't stand somewhere useful on the field or can't run you shouldn't be on a list
I'll just mark you down as a No to understanding "shape" as well

You don't think shape refers to player positioning? Lol
Yes, but not as you were alluding to .....your answer was a bluff in understanding "Shape" .....you still haven't explained the term

Of course every player is meant to be where they're supposed to be .....that's not a glossary explanation of the term though

Yes, but not as you were alluding to .....your answer was a bluff in understanding "Shape" .....you still haven't explained the term

Of course every player is meant to be where they're supposed to be .....that's not a glossary explanation of the term though
Every player in the AFL is expected to understand the gameplan, understand the structure, read the play and position themselves around the ground/contest to affect the contest or game either offensively or defensively depending on their role.

It isn't some magical special trait only some players have. Clubs don't keep players that don't position themselves properly on the list. It's as basic a fundamental as handballing.

Thinking only Murphy or McHenry could be selected in those forward roles because they're the only players that understand how to keep the right structural shape around the contest at half forward is laughable

Every player in the AFL is expected to understand the gameplan, understand the structure, read the play and position themselves around the ground/contest to affect the contest or game either offensively or defensively depending on their role.

It isn't some magical special trait only some players have. Clubs don't keep players that don't position themselves properly on the list. It's as basic a fundamental as handballing.

Thinking only Murphy or McHenry could be selected in those forward roles because they're the only players that understand how to keep the right structural shape around the contest at half forward is laughable
I'm glad I wrote your "NO" in indelible ink ;)

We are at the pointy end of the bottom 10 and nearly Finals contenders. Replace the known s**t players who continue to cost us games with the youngsters and we won't be any worst so our list isn't that far away from Finals contention. The backline is very solid with MM, Worrell, Keane and Murray. There's now an A grade quality midfield of Dawson, Soligo and Rankine (Rachele has shown he is a quality midfielder averaging 20 disposals and kicking 10.10 in the first 8 weeks last year). The weakness is the ruck and forward, we need Thilthorpe (either as a lead ruck or KPF) and Fogarty to step up next year and Welsh to develop into a top 10 KPF.

Most supporters can’t face reality regardless of which team you support but our results are clear. Your point is we are just out of the eight but if we were 6,7,8 you don’t win flags. Let’s not be competitive we need to be elite. You clearly need to draft well which we haven’t, our best two players are Dawson and Rankin then air. Our best player considering our bottom 10 finishes should from draft picks but we are useless at that. As for the coach he could be useless or did we just give him a crap list to coach. Could Kevin Sheedy in his day do any better without a genuine group of guns then fill the gaps like Blight did in 1997 1998 with Jars McLeod Modra Riccuito Smart Edwards Hart Goodwin Rehn Johnson, would have been a lot easier to coach than what we have given Nicks

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It starts and finish's with the selection of Crouch !!

What got him a run of games in 2023, and in his own words "his work-on" .......he now has reverted to the player who couldn't get picked

Always gets possessions .....the team will never progress whilst he's in the midfield ....as David King said recently, if you can't play multiple roles, you're a dead AFL Footballer

Nicks has to recognise this .....OR, he's tanking for an elite MID in the Draft
You think Crouch is performing worse than Laird?

More confirmation you don't even watch our games.

We have 4 x best 22 players injured .....the depth cupboard in very thin, despite call for players who are clearly not ready, and won't make a scintilla of difference

The Club has erred by not chasing another Ruckman .....Rachelle is playing "average" footy and devoid of any creative play

Yes, they're being aggressive on the trade front ......IMO a bit slow to react
Rachele is devoid of any creative play.

More proof you don't watch our games...

Most supporters can’t face reality regardless of which team you support but our results are clear. Your point is we are just out of the eight but if we were 6,7,8 you don’t win flags. Let’s not be competitive we need to be elite. You clearly need to draft well which we haven’t, our best two players are Dawson and Rankin then air. Our best player considering our bottom 10 finishes should from draft picks but we are useless at that. As for the coach he could be useless or did we just give him a crap list to coach. Could Kevin Sheedy in his day do any better without a genuine group of guns then fill the gaps like Blight did in 1997 1998 with Jars McLeod Modra Riccuito Smart Edwards Hart Goodwin Rehn Johnson, would have been a lot easier to coach than what we have given Nicks

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
No it isn't cleared like you think it is. It was cleared even last year we didn't have the midfield to be real Finals contender and this was an area we need to continue to develop but now we have an A grade midfield with Dawson, Rankine, Soligo and Rachele. So you don't rate Soligo, MM, Worrell, Murray or Rachele? Nicks clearly has the list to just be outside the 8 but compared to last year he know he isn't as reliant on Walker anymore as we have won and close loss games with Walker not performing like last year but like I said we need to continue our development with Thilthorpe, Fogarty and Welsh (this will be our weakest position along with the ruck) to be Finals contenders and then further develop the list to be premiership contenders.

I suspect we've got some guys capable of growing into leadership roles (Worrell, Soligo, Murray) given the opportunity - but we don't give them the opportunity; we don't even give them the responsibility of being key players on the field. Soli forced his way in through his performances, Rankine only got put into the midfield as a last resort, etc.

We don't empower the young guys, and we don't give them any meaningful responsibility unless we have no other choice. We put people in the leadership group without them actually being able to show leadership on the field (I don't care how hard Murphy trains, I wouldn't put any value in his leadership due to his complete ineffectiveness on gameday) - even worse than that, we put people like Smith in it - who has become an incredibly selfish footballer to try and compensate for falling off the cliff over the last two years.

It'd be very hard to be a young player who WANTS leadership responsibility, in that environment.

As I’ve said, Nicks actually doesn’t know the meaning of Leadership because of that group only Dawson shows any in games. The rest going missing or shit their pants.

And picking the older guys for end of season dead rubbers against bottom sides.

Someone like Dowling would have benefited greatly from getting a gig in the last game against WCE last year. Instead we loaded up with experience and only hurt our draft pick.

It isn’t just that but get them use to travelling away from home. Nicks needs to look at the bigger picture.

I went to the CARL v CROWS game a few weeks ago ….. bored out of my mind & left at half time

Too much like Soccer …. too many uncontested kick/marks ….only highlights were goal reviews / reportable incidents
Watched the replay and was more watchable …. going to COLL game tomorrow …. hope for a better game

But highlights are few and far between now …. and there’s hardly any in-game moves that change the game flow now …. it’s all pre-planned during the week

You have got to be taking the pi55. Was there and enjoyed the game.

Why are McHenry and Murphy the only ones capable of maintaining this fabled shape of ours that has opposition clubs quaking?

And will one or both of them be poached once the competition catches on?

Back