News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Their argument is to try and make it look like the West Australian teams are just whingers since they don't 'travel as much' as GWS and GC. It's not logical, but it's playing to an audience that wants to believe it.
Not really, it's true that GWS and GC hop on a plane more than WA clubs do but the article straight up says in the first paragraph that no other club compares to the distance and time spent traveling than the WA clubs.

GWS has 3 extra flights, for example but the article does note that 3 of them are for 3 home games at Canberra.

The article's fine. In fact, it does point out the inequities in the competition for travel and highlights how little the Bulldogs and Collingwood travel in the last 2 months of the season, for instance.

we need to push it as the game has evolved and we start to move into marginal gains favouring teams with less of a travel schedule.

Looking at some research I can see that the average distance covered by a player increased from 12.5km in the early 2000s to 14km in the mid 2010s and another study in 2019 reported the average high intensity running had increased by more than 30% over the last 10 years.

There are numerous papers you can dive into to see this. Including a study showing hamstring injuries increased by 80% from 2005 to 2016.

Tie this in with a travel schedule like ours and players are not recovering as good as teams with a less burdensome schedule - say Collingwood.

Don Pyke is from the "us vs them, stuff the Vics" era. He also has close ties to three AFL clubs in three states, none of which are Victoria. He is the perfect campaigner to understand the travel burden and have the connections to push it on a united front. He also has the right attitude in taking it up to the VFL just as he did in his playing days.
The use of the term “perfect campaigner” in this post is just chef kiss areas.

Brings to mind various contexts given the topic and person in question.

Their argument is to try and make it look like the West Australian teams are just whingers since they don't 'travel as much' as GWS and GC. It's not logical, but it's playing to an audience that wants to believe it.
Plus the GC/GWS players only have to put up with it for a few years before they get traded to a Victorian club.

No one is expecting not to travel. But being sent to play Bissie virtually every year since Optus was built and to Tasmania because povo Vic teams want to sell games is bullsh#t. It is about being given some acknowledgment of the travel in the fixturing and soft cap recognition where we can use our resources on medical and recovery to alleviate some of the tracel burden. Possibly squad sizes too but that is more complicated and I can see other teams having an issue with that.

Nobody holding a gun to gold coast or gws's heads forcing them to sell home games

we need to push it as the game has evolved and we start to move into marginal gains favouring teams with less of a travel schedule.

Looking at some research I can see that the average distance covered by a player increased from 12.5km in the early 2000s to 14km in the mid 2010s and another study in 2019 reported the average high intensity running had increased by more than 30% over the last 10 years.

There are numerous papers you can dive into to see this. Including a study showing hamstring injuries increased by 80% from 2005 to 2016.

Tie this in with a travel schedule like ours and players are not recovering as good as teams with a less burdensome schedule - say Collingwood.

The fact medical comes under the soft cap is ridiculous. Rules to bring everyone down to the minnow kangas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course, the responses to this are all “you joined a Vic competition, deal with it” and “what do you want, the Vic sides to play each other in perth? There’s no way to fix it”

I know Twitter isn’t exactly a collection of genius intellects, but I suspect those lines of thinking are pretty common throughout Victoria, including at AFL house.
Talk about the understatement of the year. That one's going to be hard to top.

This really brought a tear to my eye. Peter Matera was my favourite player in the early years. Awesome to see him at the club. Loving what Pyke is bringing.

This really brought a tear to my eye. Peter Matera was my favourite player in the early years. Awesome to see him at the club. Loving what Pyke is bringing.

Still my favourite. Best ever in my eyes

Still remember the night they played him out of full forward against the Bombers at the G and he kicked 7

Sharing a locker with Nelson and Barnett. He may have been underwhelmed when he saw that.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

New management treating the club like a football club and not a soulless money making business.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back