News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Houghy similar height to schoey. Think in a few preseasons time we will see him like prime Shep where one week he takes the best small, then the following week the hybrid forward and then playing on a key tall

Easybeats no more: West Coast Eagles, Harley Reid stun Melbourne Demons in upset​

Herald Sun

Let’s put Harley Reid to one side for a moment.

Melbourne’s task against a rejuvenated West Coast outfit became so much harder seven minutes into Sunday night’s game when Jake Lever was benched with concussion.

The Demons, looking to push into third spot on the AFL ladder, played the night without their gun key defender and they missed him, upset by the Eagles by 35 points.

West Coast key forwards Jake Waterman (five goals) and Jack Darling (three) made the most of his absence.
Nine of the Eagles goals in their 16.9 (105) to 10.10 (70) victory came from set shots directly from marks.
The result relegated the Demons to sixth place.

SO, NOW ONTO HARLEY

Anyone not convinced of the talent Reid has is now officially in denial.

He’s already produced two mark of the year contenders. He add a legitimate goal of the year chance to that on Sunday.

Midway through the first term, he stood at a centre-square bounce alongside Melbourne star Christian Petracca.

Reid took possession, had three bounces and kicked a terrific goal from just inside 50m to give his side a 14-point lead.
Petracca chased him the whole way, but was never going to catch him.

PETRACCA’S OBVIOUS REPLY

Petracca would never take being on the wrong end of a highlight reel laying down.

Halfway through the second term, West Coast was 27 points in front.

Jack Darling had just kicked his second goal and the Eagles second for the quarter.
But as Petracca did a week earlier against Carlton, he single-handedly swung the momentum in the game.

It’s as if he took Reid’s earlier heroics personally.

Within two minutes, former Adelaide Crow Shane McAdam had his first goal for the Demons and Kade Chandler had booted Melbourne’s fourth.

Petracca had a hand in both.
He had eight possessions for the term and his goal at the 20-minute mark got the margin back to a much more manageable 11 points.

BUT REID WASN’T DONE

Reid doubled down in the third term when he won another centre clearances courtesy of a double fend off, first to Clayton Oliver and then to Petracca. It resulted in a Darling goal.

Later in the same term, Bake Howes got caught in a one-on-one against the young West Coast star, deep in the Eagles forward line. It resulted in a Reid’s second goal, Howes left metres behind him watching the show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

suma could do with a lesson here from his old teammate how to not bag his club out in the media

God bless Jako, never been the sharpest tool in the shed, but he's always stood by his footy club whilst still being critical when the situation requires such an opinion.

One of those players you hate at another club who then become a favourite. Willo was definitely that for me. Not the most talented but he always had a go.

Didn’t Willo chase and catch some bag snatcher down an alley in Melb ?
He was a goer alright ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Haha the North fans must love talking about that win ..

After they bs tough guy low iq talking points of if you pick reid we will take Curtin I hope it continues. Clarko with his 2 hour meeting with Curtin and stupid nickname.

You can tell it trigger then because it would trigger me if I was in there shoes.

Kanes back on board

The ridiculous thing is that Nth could have still won the game and traded 2,3 for 1. So I think the media probably need to lose the "nth should have lost" argument and should rather focus on the drafting aspect, No one wants a losing culture. I know I was baffled and frustrated with our win against doggies late in the season, but play the game to win.

Sorry not sure where to put this, hopefully ok here. If not, please remove or delete if not allowed.

Anyone down south this weekend or already living there & you don’t know where to watch the WC v ADE game, head to Dunsborough Country Club & a day with Mark Nikoski & fellow Eagles supporters.

Should be a great day, just scan in to register your interest to help confirm numbers.

Niko & the Eagles are doing great things in getting the brand out down here.

IMG_7326.jpeg
Apologies for the intrusion.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back