Strategy New CEO - Welcome aboard Jennifer Watt - Starts Jan 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't have time for the doughnut thing Jen.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
The analogy makes sense to me. For a long time our doughnut has had a bloody big hole in the middle. Now we've got all the ingredients to make the hottest jam in competition to fill that doughnut, put it in a paper bag filled with sugar, give it a shake and sell it to members…

Okay, I don't really get the doughnut thing either…

The analogy makes sense to me. For a long time our doughnut has had a bloody big hole in the middle. Now we've got all the ingredients to make the hottest jam in competition to fill that doughnut, put it in a paper bag filled with sugar, give it a shake and sell it to members…

Okay, I don't really get the doughnut thing either…
You’re not looking at the whole doughnut MLF.
North is one big doughnut and if Jen's in charge of that big doughnut, she'll be in charge of the doughnut and the players are the jam.

You’re not looking at the whole doughnut MLF.
North is one big doughnut and if Jen's in charge of that big doughnut, she'll be in charge of the doughnut and the players are the jam.

Got it. So the coaches are the flour, the admin staff the yeast, volunteers the butter and the supporters are the eggs because we're (mentally) broken.

North is clearly a trailblazing club. Female President, Female CEO and previously a female head coach.

Got it. So the coaches are the flour, the admin staff the yeast, volunteers the butter and the supporters are the eggs because we're (mentally) broken.

And Monky’s drooling at the thought he now works in a giant doughnut 🍩

The beauty of the drive and ambition she has to "do a good job" is a great thing for us.

The reality is unless they (her and Sonja) win a flag then people will talk about them as being unsuccessful (even tho they are already successful just managing the joint.) And no doubt she knows this and no doubt it motivates her.

Just another level of drive and motivation that will propel us toward no.5 and beyond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The beauty of the drive and ambition she has to "do a good job" is a great thing for us.

The reality is unless they (her and Sonja) win a flag then people will talk about them as being unsuccessful (even tho they are already successful just managing the joint.) And no doubt she knows this and no doubt it motivates her.

Just another level of drive and motivation that will propel us toward no.5 and beyond.
Strange really when you think about the number of male peanuts who have been at the helm of our club in recent years.

I been thinking one area Jenn can make her own is driving improvement in the game-day experience.

Things like:
  • Cheer squad engagement
  • The music they play at Marvel (haven't been for ages working interstate now but isn't it generally uninspiring?)
  • Helping grow the NM to win a flag bay
  • Coterie stuff? (I'm not part of this but sometimes hear it's lackluster on here)

This area has to get better for us and her CV seems very well suited to address that as we improve.

I been thinking one area Jenn can make her own is driving improvement in the game-day experience.

Things like:
  • Cheer squad engagement
  • The music they play at Marvel (haven't been for ages working interstate now but isn't it generally uninspiring?)
  • Coterie stuff? (I'm not part of this but sometimes hear it's lackluster on here)

This area has to get better for us and her CV seems very well suited to address that as we improve.
It’s interesting, I find a lot of the game day stuff cringeworthy but hopefully the kids like it.

The game on the weekend was dedicated to Allen Aylett which I’m sure is the first sign of Jenn’s input, and I think they did it well.

If they could get the Cheer Squad to work on some English soccer style chants I reckon that might have potential.

I think she will try to turn some games into events and create a bit more hype so hopefully it pays off. Good Friday is the obvious starting point.

The game on the weekend was dedicated to Allen Aylett which I’m sure is the first sign of Jenn’s input, and I think they did it well.

Fwiw don't think it was, heard it was in the works from a while back.

Not to say she won't have some great ideas but incorrect attribution on this one afaik.

It’s interesting, I find a lot of the game day stuff cringeworthy but hopefully the kids like it.

If they could get the Cheer Squad to work on some English soccer style chants I reckon that might have potential.

I think she will try to turn some games into events and create a bit more hype so hopefully it pays off. Good Friday is the obvious starting point.

We might need to work on the demographics of the cheer squad to get those chants going properly.

92D55DD7-AE59-40E0-B102-CCA76D542016.jpeg

Probably got a better chance of building the North Melbourne Closer To A Flag Facebook group into a powerful active supporter group. Last weekend they occupied Aisle 29 on Level 1. They are more likely to achieve soccer style chants that trend across the stadium.

The cheer squad has been really low level energy last I was attending games.

They're too nice and passive. We need some bastards in there to be obnoxious with never say die attitude

I know we're a small club but we can make decent improvements here if we put the brains into it

Hopefully it doesn't result in silly gimmicks but just getting the fundamentals right

• Cheer squad and hardcore supporter bays that go hard
  • Music that gets people pumped
  • Lighting that gets people pumped under the Marvel roof without being excessive
  • Social functions for members/coeteries that people can say are good value

We should be aiming to be the best in the competition at this stuff so that when our performance starts to peak in the future we are fully capitalising on that

Last edited:

Things like:
  • Cheer squad engagement

The old coterie groups, the Northerners and the Vice Presidents died years ago. Somebody is trying to bring one of them back but it will be an uphill climb.

The Shinboner Coterie was never intended to be a game-day experience.

The Match Committee coterie, as I understand it, is the most incredible game-day experience for any footy nuffy with enough coin but it's very exclusive and obviously expensive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back