Toast Nic Naitanui #1 Ranked player in AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Said it elsewhere, but Kennedy retiring will allow Allen to not have to ruck and will save his body from being as beaten up as it is and will also allow Williams some more continuity with greater opportunity

Said it elsewhere, but Kennedy retiring will allow Allen to not have to ruck and will save his body from being as beaten up as it is and will also allow Williams some more continuity with greater opportunity
Also, Allen should learn to balance himself more when launching for a mark. He has had some pretty bad landings this season which in no way will help him stay healthy.

Bailey Williams should be given more games to develop alongside Nic Nat. Oscar Allen should stay in the Forward Line rather than be switched into different roles all the Time. Only Mark Blicavs for Geelong is capable of this

If we had a half competent midfield we would have done some serious damage this year.

I reckon we have a half competent midfield.

Without going through each round selection since TKs arrival I’d think TK, Yeo and Shuey haven’t been on the park together much at all.

Added to this some of their injuries have been on the longer side and made it difficult for midfielders to be fully cohesive.

That’s not to say I’m happy with what we’ve seen but I reckon there are some extenuating circumstances at play.

Without going through each round selection since TKs arrival I’d think TK, Yeo and Shuey haven’t been on the park together much at all.

Added to this some of their injuries have been on the longer side and made it difficult for midfielders to be fully cohesive.

That’s not to say I’m happy with what we’ve seen but I reckon there are some extenuating circumstances at play.

I think our structures and the fact that we do very little of the "footy basics" - blocking, shepherding etc - around the stoppages makes us very vulnerable to lack of continuity.

An incompetent midfield after the team cannot put teams like essendon and North Melbourne away

Thoughts on the reasons he'll be snubbed for AA?

- Doesn't take enough marks
- Team didn't win enough games
- Not Victorian
- Didn't calculate his power to rate ratio often enough
- Too sexy

Will be jipped.

- Not Victorian
- Too sexy

Will be jipped.

Only way is if the selectors ignore the absolute paramount ruck stats such as HOs to advantage, clearances, hard ball gets, score launches and goal assists.
If they take those into account he should be the first name pencilled into the team.

The narrative has been set, people are sticking to it. Gawn will absolutely be the starting AA ruck, whether or not he deserves it. It'll come down to if they actually put a second ruck on the bench.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first ruck in the comp. Every honest coach would agree. Should be named WC captain for 2022, even if it is for a year, and I love Shuey.

- Not Victorian
- Too sexy

Will be jipped.
Head not bald enough. Haha what a battler! Maxy Gawn! We love him! Anyway, what were we talking about?

Of ruckman here's an interesting one. Hit outs to advantage 270 to Gawns 227 in second place but to put it into perspective even more. Nics hitout to advantage % is 39.3 per cent, Gawns is 32.2%

Now on top of this grabbing the ball directly from the ruck contest doesn't count as a Hitout or HO to advantage. It counts as a possession and if the ruckman gets it out of the area a clearance. So Nic taking the ball out of the ruck hurts his HO numbers.

So lets list it all below.

Hit outs
Nicnat 687
Gawn 706

Hit outs to advantage
Nicnat 270
Gawn 227

Hitout to advantage %
Nicnat 39.3
Gawn 32.2

Also Centre Clearances
Nicnat 54
Gawn 40

Stoppage Clearances
Nicnat 104
Gawn 58

Contested Possessions
Nicnat 273
Gawn 231

Ground ball gets
Nic nat 118
Gawn 87

Pressure acts
Nicnat 295
Gawn 230

Goal Assists
Nicnat 10
Gawn 8

Disposals
Nicnat 15.2 per game
Gawn 18.4

Rating points
Nicnat 620.8 (number 1 in league)
Gawn 517.4 (number 7 in league)

Do 3 more disposals per game and 1 more hitout per game from Gawn outweigh everything else.

Do 3 more disposals per game and 1 more hitout per game from Gawn outweigh everything else.

No they do not. Total hit outs are an indictment on Gawn because he translated a lot less of them into hitouts to advantage (i.e. he was more ineffective than Naitanui at the ruckman's no. 1 role).
It's worth noting that Gawn also has more turnovers and clangers than Naitanui and there is some disparity between Naitanui and Gawn in hard ball gets (where Naitanui is the no. 1 player in the competition).

The tier list for me is:
1. Vital - HOs to advantage (advantage NicNat), clearances (advantage NicNat), score launches (advantage NicNat);
2. Important - Hard ball gets (advantage NicNat), contested marking (advantage Gawn), goals (advantage Gawn), goal assists (advantage NicNat);
3. Good - Contested possessions (advantage NicNat), tackles (advantage NicNat), inside 50s (advantage NicNat), pressure acts (advantage NicNat), intercept marks/possessions (advantage Gawn).

Nothing else really is a stat of any consequence.

Last edited:
Of ruckman here's an interesting one. Hit outs to advantage 270 to Gawns 227 in second place but to put it into perspective even more. Nics hitout to advantage % is 39.3 per cent, Gawns is 32.2%

Now on top of this grabbing the ball directly from the ruck contest doesn't count as a Hitout or HO to advantage. It counts as a possession and if the ruckman gets it out of the area a clearance. So Nic taking the ball out of the ruck hurts his HO numbers.

So lets list it all below.

Hit outs
Nicnat 687
Gawn 706

Hit outs to advantage
Nicnat 270
Gawn 227

Hitout to advantage %
Nicnat 39.3
Gawn 32.2

Also Centre Clearances
Nicnat 54
Gawn 40

Stoppage Clearances
Nicnat 104
Gawn 58

Contested Possessions
Nicnat 273
Gawn 231

Ground ball gets
Nic nat 118
Gawn 87

Pressure acts
Nicnat 295
Gawn 230

Goal Assists
Nicnat 10
Gawn 8

Disposals
Nicnat 15.2 per game
Gawn 18.4

Rating points
Nicnat 620.8 (number 1 in league)
Gawn 517.4 (number 7 in league)

Great summary. However, this is literally the definition of subjective Data use. You have only mentioned the stats that NN is ahead of Gawn which is poor use of Data on your behalf to be honest. It is literally one sided and you have even mentioned "let's look at ll the stats". LOL

I don't see the following stats:

Kicks, Marks, Total hitouts, meters gained, uncontested possession, disp efficiency, clangers, time on the ground, one-percenters, intercepts, intercept marks and turnovers to name a few.

Kicks, Marks, Total hitouts, meters gained, uncontested possession, disp efficiency, clangers, time on the ground, one-percenters, intercepts, intercept marks and turnovers to name a few.

It's good use of the data rather than adding a whole bunch of irrelevant stats as you're suggesting.
Virtually the only stat you've listed with any meaning is intercept marks. All the others have zero bearing on how a ruckman should be adjudged.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back