Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

What a load of utter Craap

They aernt undertaking a course of Chemotherapy for goodness sake

You take other sports like the US Golf - a couple of years back Brooks Koepka had a bad wrist injury , so under your nonsense philosophy , fans, supporters , fellow players , and commentators are not allowed to ask him , how his wrist is and when do you think you will be back hitting practise balls and will you be right to play in the then upcoming US Masters , no because of privacy no one is allowed to ask him that - ha , what a joke

Same deal with Jason Day before a USPGA Major , had a lingering back ailment , again under your view/ proposal , no one is allowed to ask him because of privacy - utter nonsense
Yeah because everyone needs daily/weekly updates on the injury and just can’t let the players just rehab in peace and quiet

I just don’t get the sense of entitlement in needing these updates or further information beyond the player expected recovery time and leaving it at that untill they are listed as available…of course there are ulterior motives in wanting minute by minute updates on how the player is progressing with their injury

This is one of the all time worst takes. Just completely bereft of anything other than pure "come at me bro" rage bait.

In the same show though he did absolutely nail the assessment of the dogs situation.

He defaults to angry so when the correct answer is angry he is accidentally correct
It's a business model that is working for him. How long has he been in the media, and looks at how many places he is now.

What a load of utter Craap

They aernt undertaking a course of Chemotherapy for goodness sake

You take other sports like the US Golf - a couple of years back Brooks Koepka had a bad wrist injury , so under your nonsense philosophy , fans, supporters , fellow players , and commentators are not allowed to ask him , how his wrist is and when do you think you will be back hitting practise balls and will you be right to play in the then upcoming US Masters , no because of privacy no one is allowed to ask him that - ha , what a joke

Same deal with Jason Day before a USPGA Major , had a lingering back ailment , again under your view/ proposal , no one is allowed to ask him because of privacy - utter nonsense
Goggin,

I have no issues if you disagree, no two people will agree on everything.

But you seem to be getting worked up and a tad passive aggressive here. I have calmly discussed my view on the matter with you without any pejorative terms being used.

Comes down to basic equality of rights to me. Whether it's chemotherapy or a bruised pinky finger we don't deserve access to that information just the same as if it were you or I. If my Doctor rang me stating a man called Goggin Our Best wishes to learn if my medical history and current ailments and complaints I'd be less than impressed to put it mildly. It is none of your business.

As for the above, it isn't about being allowed to ask, if a player wishes to disclose their issues that is their right. And it should only be their right. Not a part of a scheduled weekly injury update each Tuesday.

Goggin,

I have no issues if you disagree, no two people will agree on everything.

But you seem to be getting worked up and a tad passive aggressive here. I have calmly discussed my view on the matter with you without any pejorative terms being used.

Comes down to basic equality of rights to me. Whether it's chemotherapy or a bruised pinky finger we don't deserve access to that information just the same as if it were you or I. If my Doctor rang me stating a man called Goggin Our Best wishes to learn if my medical history and current ailments and complaints I'd be less than impressed to put it mildly. It is none of your business.

As for the above, it isn't about being allowed to ask, if a player wishes to disclose their issues that is their right. And it should only be their right. Not a part of a scheduled weekly injury update each Tuesday.

I don't gamble, and I don't know what Supercoach even is, but I'm still glad the AFL saw fit for the clubs to be honest with their supporters.

The report terminology is simple - concussion, knee, ankle etc - and no detail is given beyond those terms. I don't see these classifications as being an invasion of privacy either when crowds of up to 90,000 people observe the injury being incurred live.

It's not like blood tests, MRI results, medications etc are being disclosed. We can all see what's happened, we just wanted more honesty about the return time. For some of us, it's about being made to feel appreciated as supporters, rather than being fobbed off with cynical timeframes that we all knew were blatant lies.

Anyhow, as you said, we can agree to disagree. After all, different perspectives are the heart and soul of this forum.

I don't gamble, and I don't know what Supercoach even is, but I'm still glad the AFL saw fit for the clubs to be honest with their supporters.

The report terminology is simple - concussion, knee, ankle etc - and no detail is given beyond those terms. I don't see these classifications as being an invasion of privacy either when crowds of up to 90,000 people observe the injury being incurred live.

It's not like blood tests, MRI results, medications etc are being disclosed. We can all see what's happened, we just wanted more honesty about the return time. For some of us, it's about being made to feel appreciated as supporters, rather than being fobbed off with cynical timeframes that we all knew were blatant lies.

Anyhow, as you said, we can agree to disagree. After all, different perspectives are the heart and soul of this forum.

That's the thing though - there's already been a number of questions around Clubs either not being honest in their reporting this season, or being a bit deceptive with how they're reporting

This is the most recent example of fans questioning their clubs injury report - not the first, won't be the last, and as always, all clubs are finding their own way to be vague about things

That's the thing though - there's already been a number of questions around Clubs either not being honest in their reporting this season, or being a bit deceptive with how they're reporting

This is the most recent example of fans questioning their clubs injury report - not the first, won't be the last, and as always, all clubs are finding their own way to be vague about things

What are the sanctions, if any, the AFL can impose if clubs don't satisfy reporting requirements?

I’m not sure how it can be seen as being dishonest when the injury is reported but not given updates should the progression change or simply the player isn’t ready to come back …I still think they deserve some sense of privacy and control over the disclosure of how the injury is progressing even if it’s a club tactics for the opposition which I don’t see it as being. It could just be done in a way not to put further pressure on the playing with their rehab.

In any case I’m still unsure how it really affects the supporters they know the player has an injury and we mostly know what timeframe most of the injuries can be. Complications and fitness and all that can make it not a linear timeframe and I feel that people should just accept that the club will disclose when the player is ready based on everything including the player’s comfort in disclosing further information on their recovery.

Last edited:
What are the sanctions, if any, the AFL can impose if clubs don't satisfy reporting requirements?

I doubt there's any sanctions and that clubs will create "satisfactory" reasons for their reporting to avoid any sanctions that they may be threatened with

- Player X is currently unavailable, but we're waiting on further scans & tests to determine length of unavailability

- Player Y had scans last week which came back inconclusive. They'll be undergoing further assessment this week to determine the extent of the injury

- We were hopeful that Player Z would be available for last weekend, they had a fitness test late in the week but they pulled up sore afterwards. We're now reassessing were they are in their return to play path and if this is a hiccup or a setback

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kane needs to shut up.
Funnily enough Tucker Carlson is coming to Aus for a "Freedom Tour", Kane has literally said he's modeled himself on Tucker Carlson (politics) and Skip Bayliss (Sports media) for shock jock clickbait headlines.

He knows how to keep a job and what makes headlines. Making outrageous claims gets people talking.
He's playing a character, when you actually sit and listen to him discuss footy outside major media he's actually quite intelligent.

Anything he does on TV/Radio is to sell clickbait headlines.

Do the following two stories which follow one after the other on the same link, offer just something of a contradiction - the players want to stick together but the club wants to keep looking at external options...

SENIOR BLUES’ ‘UNWRITTEN PACT’ ‘TIL SUCCESS

Carlton’s seasoned leaders have reportedly committed to an “unwritten pact” to stay together until the Blues achieve premiership glory.

Herald Sun journalist Glenn McFarlane recently spoke to Jacob Weitering — who’s eligible for free agency next year — who shed light on the importance on keeping the team’s core together.

“I can tell you that I had a really good chat to Jacob, and he’s revealed that the Blues senior players have got a bit of an unwritten pact that they’re going to stick together to chase that ultimate success,” McFarlane told the Midweek Tackle.

“(It’s) a handshake agreement, they all want to stick together. Most of the guys are actually on long-term deals now, 2026 right through to Harry McKay, (who) is 2030.

Jacob Weitering comes out (of contract) at the end of next year. He’s desperate to stay, he’s already said ‘they supported me from the start’.

“He’s had some highs and lows in his career, but what he said — and here’s a quote — is “money is a big part of what we do because it is our job, but we also have to keep the team happy and keep together”. So, does that mean sacrifice? He said ‘I’m willing to sacrifice a little bit’.”

Ralph said satisfying every member of the playing group from a contract perspective was “hard” to pull off.

“I saw the rundown; I had a look,” he said. “Tom De Koning — how much is he sacrificing? He’s a restricted free agent next year.

Adam Saad (2025 expiry), Blake Acres (2025), Adam Cerra (2025) — who took maybe only $600,000 (when he arrived from Fremantle) — so which of those blokes are sacrificing?

“I love the fact (Weitering) is saying it, (but) it’s harder to execute.”

The Blues have dropped three of their past four games and are in danger of slipping out of the top eight this weekend.

And

BLUES’ BIG BID FOR ‘MOST WANTED’ SWAN

Carlton has put a bumper offer on the table for Sydney forward Will Hayward, reports AFL Media’s Cal Twomey.

Hayward is in career-best form, having booted 15 goals from eight matches so far this season.

The 145-gamer has garnered considerable interest from rival clubs this year, including from his home state of South Australia.

“I understand Carlton has up to six years on the table for him,” Twomey told AFL.com.au’s Gettable.

“That’s a big deal to get him out of the Swans but it would have to be because he’s obviously been so settled and is a big part of their culture and team over a number of years.”

“He is one of the most wanted players in the competition.”

Twomey flagged Melbourne as another potential suitor for the gun Swan.

However, the Swans want to keep him and have reportedly presented a long-term offer to the SA product.

Holding restricted free agent status, any contending offer for the 25-year-old can be matched by Sydney.

So which of the players that wants to stay loses their spot to Hayward?

Re: the bolder section:

Why does this make you feel better? I genuinely don’t understand why, and no one seems to want to answer why a detailed injury report is of any benefit to anyone. Beyond the obvious reasons of gambling of course.

Re: the bolder section:

Why does this make you feel better? I genuinely don’t understand why, and no one seems to want to answer why a detailed injury report is of any benefit to anyone. Beyond the obvious reasons of gambling of course.
I just hope the club does a Balme “2 weeks” report next time just to heck with the people that want a detailed report on the current injuries

Remove this Banner Ad

Back